Professional Web Applications Themes

Invisible Text with copy & paste - Adobe Indesign Windows

If you copy the text from another Indesign doent, and paste into this layout, then the text vanishes. Indesign shows a blank text box instead of the text. You can open the text in the story editor and see, but Indesign will not display it in the text frame. The second scenario occurs when you manually type the text. Sometimes, this workaround produces text. But when you move the image frames on separate layers, the once visible text vanishes exhibiting the traits mentioned. My troubleshooting efforts include the following. Change the text size Resize the text frame Fit Frame to ...

  1. #1

    Default Invisible Text with copy & paste

    If you copy the text from another Indesign doent, and paste into
    this layout, then the text vanishes. Indesign shows a blank text box
    instead of the text. You can open the text in the story editor and
    see, but Indesign will not display it in the text frame.

    The second scenario occurs when you manually type the text. Sometimes,
    this workaround produces text. But when you move the image frames on
    separate layers, the once visible text vanishes exhibiting the traits
    mentioned. My troubleshooting efforts include the following.

    Change the text size
    Resize the text frame
    Fit Frame to Text
    Apply different styles
    Changing the color of the font
    Updated Indesign

    Here are basic details about my layout. It contains 21 graphic frames
    times two pages. The graphic frames contain links to PSD images or
    tifs with either the front or back side of the card. The layout has
    two layers and a master page with crop marks. The text represents the
    info on the individual cards. So I view it as a simple layout; so why
    does Indesign have issues with it?
    Clocker Guest

  2. #2

    If you copy the text from another InDesign doent, and paste into my business card layout, then the text vanishes. InDesign shows a blank text box instead of the text. You can open the text in the story editor and see the text, but Indesign will not display it in the text frame on the layout.

    The second scenario occurs when you manually type the text. Sometimes, this workaround produces text. But when you move the image frames below the text layer, the once visible text vanishes exhibiting the traits mentioned above. My troubleshooting efforts include the following.

    Change the text size
    Fit Frame to Text
    Resize the text frame

    robert_neville@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Invisible Text with copy & paste

    Is there a graphic in your template set to wrap text? You should expect to
    see the text frame apparently empty, but with the red + sign signifying
    overset.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    The text wrap was the issue. After searching for the text wrap palette, the wrap text was set to none. The text reappeared. The solution did not readily appear since the text was white and matched the paper color. Therefore when you moved the text away from the image frame the paper color hid any visual cues. Indesign should have incorporation better visual cues and text wrapping under a general property setting; rather than a separate palette, which the user may or may not find.
    robert_neville@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    "After searching for the text wrap palette, the wrap text was set to none."

    You mean it was set to none when you found it, or after you found it you set
    it to none? If it was already set to none then this was not the problem.

    "since the text was white and matched the paper color"

    You said earlier that you tried different colour text, so I didn't suggest
    that you might have paper-coloured text.

    "Indesign should have incorporation better visual cues "

    It does. It shows the text frame, and if a wrap has pushed the text out, it
    shows an overset indicator. If you look at in the story editor, there is a
    line indicating where visible text ends and overset text begins.

    "rather than a separate palette, which the user may or may not find"

    There are rather a lot of options for text wrap, so a separate palette is
    the logical way to handle it. The palette is there to find with all the
    other palettes, listed under the Window menu.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    It just occurred to me that you may be misinterpreting the text wrap
    palette. Text wrap doesn't apply to the text. It applies to the object
    around which the text will wrap. So if you select text, there will be
    nothing relevant showing in the text wrap palette. But if you select a
    neighbouring graphic, and text wrap is applied, you will see both an
    indication of what sort of text wrap is applied in the palette, and also a
    boundary marquee will show around the graphic indicating the edges of the
    wrap envelope.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Basically, this layout was from another source and I was not familiar with how it was set up. In addition, InDesign is a new program for me. I looked and explored various properties and did not cross the text wrap options. Then ran a quick search on the forum and did not find anything on invisible text. If I can't figure out in five minutes, then the scenario is not intuitive.
    robert_neville@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If I can't figure out in five minutes, then the scenario is not intuitive.

    That's an interesting standard. Maybe you could sue Adobe for wasting your time. I don't mean to be harsh, but neither a scenario nor a software feature can be "intuitive." It's a misapplication of the term. In fact, in this scenario it was you who was short on intuition, so I submit that you are "not intuitive."

    I understand you are new to InDesign, so it is advisable that you recognize it as a professional-level application, and employ some patience during the learning process. Features and functions won't be served up unsolicited by some talking paper clip or other. Please...give it at least 6 or 7 minutes before you judge the code's user friendliness.
    John Guest

  9. #9

    neither a scenario nor a software feature can be "intuitive."

    So I take it you don't buy the possibility of AI. Nonetheless, your interpretation of the usage of intuition isn't right on the mark. A thing can be deemed intuitive when it is capable of being perceived BY intuition (OED), and some programs and features thereof are most definitely more intuitive than others.
    M_Blackburn@adobeforums.com Guest