Professional Web Applications Themes

IP Multipathing for improving NFS server access ? - Sun Solaris

Hi, I've read IPMP improves outgoing bandwidth. I know Sun Trunking could be used (but at cost) to improve both incoming and outgoing bandwidth. My question is: for a NFS server, where client requests are mostly read, could I gain from using IPMP ? Is this correct / appropriate for the scenario ? Thank you Vlad Grama....

  1. #1

    Default IP Multipathing for improving NFS server access ?

    Hi,

    I've read IPMP improves outgoing bandwidth. I know Sun Trunking could
    be used (but at cost) to improve both incoming and outgoing bandwidth.

    My question is: for a NFS server, where client requests are mostly
    read, could I gain from using IPMP ? Is this correct / appropriate for
    the scenario ?

    Thank you
    Vlad Grama.
    Vlad Guest

  2. #2

    Vlad <com> wrote:

    Possibly. It would certainly give you failover capability. As you say,
    if all the incoming requests are small, you're not likely to filling up
    bandwidth with unbalanced clients, and then the responses (the meat)
    will be balanced. However, you might be able to balance some of the
    requests, too.

    How are your NFS servers defined to the client? Are you using
    automounting? If so, you can specify multiple servers in your automount
    specifications with equal weight. I think that will distribute the
    client requests across both public IP/names of the server.

    user -rw,bg,intr nfserver-int1,nfsserver-int2:/export/home/&

    If rather than lots of normal clients you have a small number of heavy
    clients, then you might want to distribute them onto the server's
    interfaces explicitly to maximize the distribution.

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  3. #3

    Your idea of distributing NFS clients either explicitly or using the
    automounter is very practical. It seems much better and simpler for
    the case of a NFS server.

    Actually my clients use the automounter, and for now they all connect
    to one interface. It is enough for now. I was thinking "in advance"
    what should be done if bandwidth becomes the bottleneck. So I started
    reading about IPMP and trunking, but ... I lost track a little and
    overlooked some simpler,quicker solutions like the one you gave me.

    Thank you for reply
    Vlad Grama.

    Darren Dunham <taos.com> wrote in message news:<iRGbb.34$news.prodigy.com>...

    > Possibly. It would certainly give you failover capability. As you say,
    > if all the incoming requests are small, you're not likely to filling up
    > bandwidth with unbalanced clients, and then the responses (the meat)
    > will be balanced. However, you might be able to balance some of the
    > requests, too.
    >
    > How are your NFS servers defined to the client? Are you using
    > automounting? If so, you can specify multiple servers in your automount
    > specifications with equal weight. I think that will distribute the
    > client requests across both public IP/names of the server.
    >
    > user -rw,bg,intr nfserver-int1,nfsserver-int2:/export/home/&
    >
    > If rather than lots of normal clients you have a small number of heavy
    > clients, then you might want to distribute them onto the server's
    > interfaces explicitly to maximize the distribution.[/ref]
    Vlad Guest

  4. #4

    Vlad <com> wrote:

    I would be looking at IPMP (or trunking) as a product that can be put in
    place to improve reliability. If a cable, interface, or switch port
    fails on you, you get a nice message and all your clients stay
    connected.

    Even without bandwith bottlenecks, it might still be a useful component
    of your design.