Professional Web Applications Themes

iPhoto alternatives? - Mac Applications & Software

My wife has been using iPhoto for the past few months. Nice interface, but the organization tools are too minimal for my taste. At a minimum, I want to be able to define hierarchal folders for different classes of collections. I am now about to embark on an assignment that will require me to shoot, collect, and organize several thousand photographs. What are your favorite alternatives to iPhoto for managing digital photos? Good integration with Photoshop is also a highly prized feature. -- - Burt Johnson MindStorm, Inc. [url]http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default iPhoto alternatives?

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.
    [url]http://www.mindstorm-inc.com/software.html[/url]
    Burt Johnson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iPhoto alternatives?

    In article <1fy8q6z.co4o111m1y85eN%burtmindstorm-inc.com>, Burt
    Johnson <burtmindstorm-inc.com> wrote:
    > My wife has been using iPhoto for the past few months. Nice interface,
    > but the organization tools are too minimal for my taste. At a minimum,
    > I want to be able to define hierarchal folders for different classes of
    > collections. I am now about to embark on an assignment that will
    > require me to shoot, collect, and organize several thousand photographs.
    >
    > What are your favorite alternatives to iPhoto for managing digital
    > photos?
    >
    > Good integration with Photoshop is also a highly prized feature.
    Burt,

    iView Media Pro is my recommendation. Even iView Media (bundled with
    Toast Titanium) might be sufficient for your needs.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    I am not sure to clearly understand your need, but GraphicConverter will
    clearly handle as many (sub-) folders as you need, and moving photos
    around is just a matter of drag and drop...
    Herve

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, [email]h.sainctlaposte.net[/email]
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

  4. #4

    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > iView Media Pro is my recommendation. Even iView Media (bundled with
    > Toast Titanium) might be sufficient for your needs.
    Thanks - the specs on the site look good. I've just downloaded the demo
    version and will give it a spin.

    I don't find the basic iView on my disk. Guess I gotta go dig up the
    Toast CD and see if it was an extra install. That would give me upgrade
    pricing for buying the pro (which does have features I would want).

  5. #5

    [email]burtmindstorm-inc.com[/email] (Burt Johnson) wrote:
    > My wife has been using iPhoto for the past few months. Nice interface,
    > but the organization tools are too minimal for my taste. At a minimum,
    > I want to be able to define hierarchal folders for different classes of
    > collections. I am now about to embark on an assignment that will
    > require me to shoot, collect, and organize several thousand photographs.
    >
    > What are your favorite alternatives to iPhoto for managing digital
    > photos?
    >
    > Good integration with Photoshop is also a highly prized feature.
    The Finder.

    No, really. Set up your folders as you like, watch them as thumbnails, use file
    comments to add comments (and set list views to show them). Purchase Dragthing
    and have it set up to show a special dock when the finder is active which
    contains applescripts for rotate, resize and mail. Use Graphic Converter for
    slideshows and printing or even iPhoto temporarily. Set photoshop to open your
    images when doublecliking them.

    The only thing missing from this is live queries in the finder, to list recent
    additions and such.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  6. #6

    In article <170720031324128967%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>,
    sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    > iView Media Pro is my recommendation. Even iView Media (bundled with
    > Toast Titanium) might be sufficient for your needs.
    Strongly second iView MediaPro. Used it for several years now, can only
    say good things about it.
    AES/newspost Guest

  7. #7

    In article <siegman-3415CD.18154317072003news.stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    > In article <170720031324128967%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id>,
    > sbt <dogbreathchaseabone.com.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > iView Media Pro is my recommendation. Even iView Media (bundled with
    > > Toast Titanium) might be sufficient for your needs.
    >
    > Strongly second iView MediaPro. Used it for several years now, can only
    > say good things about it.
    I strongly add my vote to this as well! iView MediaPro is wonderful!
    I've got nearly 1000 digital photos organized in MediaPro, and growing
    fast, and it makes things easy. I can organize photos how I want in
    the Finder, and the categories let me keep pictures organized in
    MediaPro. Plus, although I haven't done it yet due to previous lack of
    a CD burner, MediaPro will let me keep a catalog of ALL my photos, even
    any that I have had to burn to a CD and remove from the hard drive. It
    doesn't really care where the pictures are stored, it's quite happy to
    catalog them wherever they are.

    One word of warning -- I've changed hard drives several times lately.
    First was a reformat of my old machine's hard drive and second was a
    move to a new machine. Each time, MediaPro lost track of all the
    photos. Fortunately, it's easy enough to rebuild the catalog, but I
    noticed one disturbing thing afterwards. I was in the bad habit or
    renaming photos with a descriptive name for a while, and some of these
    names are the same, just in different folders. MediaPro,
    unfortunately, linked all entries to the first photo with the same name
    that it found! I noticed when I double-clicked a thumbnail to view it
    full-size and a different picture popped up!

    IMHO, this is a fairly minor bug. I fixed it pretty easily by just
    removing the troublesome pictures, changing the name to be more unique,
    and then adding them back to the catalog. If you just stick with the
    name given the file by your digital camera, you shouldn't have anything
    to worry about. And you can use fields in the catalog to enter
    descriptive information.

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  8. #8

    In article <180720030635385961%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > In article <siegman-3415CD.18154317072003news.stanford.edu>,
    > AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    > > > iView Media Pro is my recommendation. Even iView Media (bundled with
    > > > Toast Titanium) might be sufficient for your needs.
    > >
    > > Strongly second iView MediaPro. Used it for several years now, can only
    > > say good things about it.
    >
    > I strongly add my vote to this as well! iView MediaPro is wonderful!
    >
    > One word of warning -- I've changed hard drives several times lately.
    > First was a reformat of my old machine's hard drive and second was a
    > move to a new machine. Each time, MediaPro lost track of all the
    > photos. Fortunately, it's easy enough to rebuild the catalog, but I
    >
    > IMHO, this is a fairly minor bug. I fixed it pretty easily by just
    > removing the troublesome pictures, changing the name to be more unique,
    > and then adding them back to the catalog. If you just stick with the
    (stuff trimmed above)

    I _think_ the following is correct:

    If you clear out an old iView catalog or start a brand new catalog and
    then (re)catalog a big bunch of folders by dragging them all at once
    onto the iView catalog window, iView _will_ correctly record and
    catalog multiple images that have the same file name but are in
    different folders.

    If however you drag additional folders to an existing catalog or try to
    refind originals in an existing catalog in a situation where multiple
    images have the same file name, you can, unfortunately, get into some
    trouble.

    One of the good things about iView is that the company has the guts to
    maintain a continuing open user forum

    [url]http://www.iview-multimedia.com/forum/[/url]

    in which they both answer queries and let users rant when they want to.
    AES/newspost Guest

  9. #9

    Sandman <mrsandman.net> wrote:
    > The Finder.
    I tried this. Looked quite good, specially wih big OSX icons etc. until
    I got more than 1000 images in the same folder. crash. Repeatable. Exit
    Finder. Maybe in the next OSX version...

    Herve

  10. #10

    Burt Johnson <do-not-emailnowhere.com> wrote:
    > I'll give it another day or two before giving up, but I think I need to
    > look further and find something a bit more reliable before I plunk down
    > $100 and spend the effort putting a couple thousand images into it
    > (which will be generated over the next few months for this project).
    Try Extensis Portfolio while you're at it. I'm currently trying both at
    the same time with the same data to see which I prefer, and I think Portfolio
    is going to win -- not because it's definitively better, but just because the
    way it works seems to suit me better.

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Guest

  11. #11

    In article
    <earl.misanchuk-2207030841030001h24-78-96-10.ss.shawcable.net>, Earl
    Misanchuk <earl.misanchuk*NOSPAM*shaw.ca> wrote:
    > In article <1fyh29q.w447i8reg2kkN%burtmindstorm-inc.com>,
    > [email]do-not-emailnowhere.com[/email] (nobody) wrote:
    >

    > > I'll go check it out. I must say that after a day of playing with it,
    > > I'm not very impressed though. It sure seems non-intuitive to say the
    > > least.
    > >
    > > I cannot find out how to remove a keyword once it is set. Nor can I
    > > remove a category once assigned. I've tried various things (and yes,
    > > I've read the manual), but once a category/keyword is set, it seems
    > > indelible.
    >
    > I agree it's not all that intuitive, but you can remove a keyword or
    > category (or anything else) by selecting it, then hitting the delete key.
    > Kludgy, but it'll work in a pinch. Alternatively, you can use
    > Actions>Annotation>Batch to replace keywords with others, or with a blank.
    >

    > > It also seems very problematic about moving things into new folders for
    > > organization. Seems to work one minute and not the next. There must be
    > > some modal magic involved that I haven't gotten the gestalt of yet.
    >
    > Just a guess, but you may be bumping up against something that confused me
    > for quite a time: if you try to move an image into a folder that already
    > contains that image, it seems to just not do anything. In fact, it is
    > preventing you from duplicating the images in that folder.
    Another good alternative is Epson Film Factory
    Julian Guest

  12. #12

    Earl Misanchuk <earl.misanchuk*NOSPAM*shaw.ca> wrote:

    > Just a guess, but you may be bumping up against something that confused me
    > for quite a time: if you try to move an image into a folder that already
    > contains that image, it seems to just not do anything. In fact, it is
    > preventing you from duplicating the images in that folder.[/ref]

    I've downloaded the beta version, and I like that one a lot more. Still
    some missing pieces, but much better than the prior version.

    --
    - Burt Johnson
    MindStorm, Inc.

  13. #13

    Burt Johnson <com> wrote:

    I was thinking I'd be choosing Portfolio, but I just grabbed the iView beta
    version and now I think I'll go the other way. :) Since it's in beta, maybe
    I'll send my couple suggestions in, too...

    Damn trial periods are too short. You have to spend some time with a program
    like this to get a feel for it.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest