Professional Web Applications Themes

iPhoto: How do you clean up? - Mac Applications & Software

iPhoto seems to bog down with lots of pictures. I'd like to clean up in iPhoto, you know, lots of pictures that don't quite warrant keeping. It seems not enough to delete them from the album (directory?) they are in, you seem to need to track them down in the library too? That's annoying, particularly since some of them closely resemble the good pictures that I am keeping. I tried deleting the whole "Photo Library", but that deletes all the albums contents too! <rant> Sheesh, you'd think they would use a comprehensible file system concept. Failing in that, they should ...

  1. #1

    Default iPhoto: How do you clean up?

    iPhoto seems to bog down with lots of pictures.
    I'd like to clean up in iPhoto, you know, lots of pictures
    that don't quite warrant keeping. It seems not enough
    to delete them from the album (directory?) they are in,
    you seem to need to track them down in the library too?
    That's annoying, particularly since some of them closely
    resemble the good pictures that I am keeping.

    I tried deleting the whole "Photo Library",
    but that deletes all the albums contents too!

    <rant>
    Sheesh, you'd think they would use a comprehensible file system concept.
    Failing in that, they should just put the jpegs in folders (directories).
    If they feel they need to have a danged "Photo Library",
    build it on the fly with with symbolic links.
    </rant>

    --
    o ~
    _-'\_ ~ Jon Claerbout: jon sep.stanford.edu

  2. #2

    Default Re: iPhoto: How do you clean up?

    Jon Claerbout wrote:

    You're so close...and yet so far. Apple has done the thing you ask;
    it's just that the "albums" are the symlinks and the Library is the
    master photo DB.

    Jim
    --

    Longhaired freaky people need not apply.
    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    Jim Hill wrote:

    > You're so close...and yet so far. Apple has done the thing you ask;
    > it's just that the "albums" are the symlinks and the Library is the
    > master photo DB.[/ref]

    So why would you use symlinks? I'd think that plain old hard
    links would be the right way to do this. Then when you delete
    things from the master directory, you don't lose them from the
    "albums".

    One problem with the iPhoto organization that I've seen is that
    it's apparently impossible to know which of those pictures have
    been filed in "albums". There's no obvious way to see an album
    and the master list simultaneously. So I find myself looking for
    a photo that should be in album X, not finding it, going over to
    the library, laboriously searching for it, doing what I want with
    it - and then forgetting to link it to the album. And I waste time
    "moving" pictures that are already where I want them.

    With even a mere 1000 photos, it's not very convenient. Maybe
    I'll have to do my own ...

    John Guest

  4. #4

    In article <bhua33$abe$news.rcn.net>, John Chambers
    <com> wrote:

    > > You're so close...and yet so far. Apple has done the thing you ask;
    > > it's just that the "albums" are the symlinks and the Library is the
    > > master photo DB.[/ref]
    >
    > So why would you use symlinks? I'd think that plain old hard
    > links would be the right way to do this. Then when you delete
    > things from the master directory, you don't lose them from the
    > "albums".
    >
    > One problem with the iPhoto organization that I've seen is that
    > it's apparently impossible to know which of those pictures have
    > been filed in "albums". There's no obvious way to see an album
    > and the master list simultaneously. So I find myself looking for
    > a photo that should be in album X, not finding it, going over to
    > the library, laboriously searching for it, doing what I want with
    > it - and then forgetting to link it to the album. And I waste time
    > "moving" pictures that are already where I want them.
    >
    > With even a mere 1000 photos, it's not very convenient. Maybe
    > I'll have to do my own ...
    >[/ref]

    It's a very easy AppleScript to write. There's a sample script at
    www.apple.com/applescript/iphoto that finds all photos that aren't in
    any album and places them in an album named "Unassigned." You can tweak
    it easily to produce a list of which albums selected files are in.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  5. #5

    John Chambers wrote:
     [/ref]

    Well, that's fine if you're trying to cirvent the idea of the
    master directory. If you aren't going to use a central DB to keep
    track of _every_ photo you've taken, just stick image files into
    folders according to your whims.

    Jim

  6. #6

    John Chambers <com> wrote:

    > > You're so close...and yet so far. Apple has done the thing you
    > > ask; it's just that the "albums" are the symlinks and the Library
    > > is the master photo DB.[/ref]
    >
    > So why would you use symlinks? I'd think that plain old hard links
    > would be the right way to do this. Then when you delete things from
    > the master directory, you don't lose them from the "albums".[/ref]

    That would replace one problem with a bigger ones: How to really delete
    a photo, instead of just removing it from the library or one album.

    The whole point of the Library is that it *is* the "master directory"
    and holds *all* of your photos. You can safely delete a photo from an
    album without worrying about whether it's the only copy you have left.
    If you decide you want it again for another album, you can just look for
    it in the Library. And if you want to get rid of a photo completely,
    you can do it by deleting it from the Library.

    If you could delete photos from the Library without having them
    disappear from your albums, it'd be just another album; there'd be
    nothing special about it at all. What would be the point of having a
    Photo Library if it didn't contain all of your photos?

    A far better solution would be to have iPhoto display a warning dialog
    when you try to delete a photo from the Library, to let you know that
    the photo will be removed from all your albums too. And a preference
    setting or command keystroke to suppress the warning dialog.
    Wayne Guest

  7. #7

    Wayne C. Morris wrote:

    > That would replace one problem with a bigger ones: How to really delete
    > a photo, instead of just removing it from the library or one album.[/ref]

    Un, that's a serious problem right now. My wife and I both have some
    new powerbook G4s, and we've both been playing with iPhoto. We're baffled
    by the way that photos that we try to delete keep reappearing. We have
    no idea what we do to make it happen. She has had as many as five copies
    of all her photos, including deleted photos, appear in the library. She
    has spent a lot of time laboriously deleting them again, only to have them
    reappear a few days later.

    This is getting to be really frustrating.

    The iPhoto Help stuff doesn't help at all.

    John Guest