Professional Web Applications Themes

iPhoto lost imported photos from camera! help! - Mac Applications & Software

I'm using iPhoto 2.0 and a Canon PowerShot A70. I typically import all photos off the camera once in a while and 'delete after importing'. Its worked well until today. I saw the thumbnails of a few photos go by, but they are nowhere in iPhoto library! I checked the files in the Finder too, nothing there. :( Of course they were deleted from the camera mind you! :( Anyone know if I can updelete from the camera or maybe iPhoto hid them somewhere? Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default iPhoto lost imported photos from camera! help!

    I'm using iPhoto 2.0 and a Canon PowerShot A70. I typically import all
    photos off the camera once in a while and 'delete after importing'. Its
    worked well until today. I saw the thumbnails of a few photos go by,
    but they are nowhere in iPhoto library! I checked the files in the
    Finder too, nothing there. :(

    Of course they were deleted from the camera mind you! :( Anyone know if
    I can updelete from the camera or maybe iPhoto hid them somewhere?

    Thanks!
    Sean Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iPhoto lost imported photos from camera! help!

    you can try this, I had good luck with it:

    hth,
    John

    In article <aei.ca>, Sean McBride

    O'B Guest

  3. #3

    The exact same thing happened to me. My harddisk got full but iPhoto
    went ahead and deleted everything on the CF card anyway! PhotoRescue
    saved my butt. I liked it so much I signed up as their associate.

    You can download the demo here:

    http://www.yellowmug.com/download/photorescue.dmg

    The demo shows you what can be saved. You'll be able to save those
    photos as soon as you register the software. This way you know
    exactly what you'll be able to restore before paying for it.

    One very neat thing is that even with a unregistered copy, you can
    make an image of the entire memory card. You can perform the
    restoration at a latter time from that image.

    Check it out.

    -j

    Jay Guest

  4. #4

    Sean McBride <org> writes:

    I learned a while ago never to do that, especially if there are any
    RAW files on my CF card with my 10D. It takes almost no additional
    time to use the camera to reformat the card after you've verified
    everything copied (I've got an applescript I'm working on that I call
    every time I mount the CF card and back it up to my external drive
    anyways, so I have a copy of the images outside of iPhoto, since I've
    had iPhoto "lose" photos on occasion (they are in the iPhoto library
    on the disk, but don't show up in the photo library))

    I'm migrating away from iPhoto as well because of issues like this
    (and because I'd like a program that natively handles Canon RAW files).

    Check out PhotoRescue (on Versiontracker.com). It's pay software, but
    the free trial version will show you if there is anything it can
    recover. I've had good luck with this, and even used to it recover
    other people's photos as well.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta
    org

  5. #5

    net (Jay) writes:

    Note that while it's designed for memory cards, I've even used to to
    rescue images from a damaged CD by making an image from the CD and
    running Photorescue on it. (This required some significant tweaking
    and massaging of the image file, but it recovered almost all of the
    photos).

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta
    org

  6. #6

    Sean McBride <org> wrote:
    : I'm using iPhoto 2.0 and a Canon PowerShot A70. I typically import all
    : photos off the camera once in a while and 'delete after importing'. Its
    : worked well until today. I saw the thumbnails of a few photos go by,
    : but they are nowhere in iPhoto library! I checked the files in the
    : Finder too, nothing there. :(

    Same thing happened to me with Canon S200.
    It happened that my disk was fairly full at the time.
    I figured there was enuf space but apparantly not.
    Obviously they should verify that they have actually
    imported before they delete -- but they don't.

    --
    o ~
    _-'\_ ~ Jon Claerbout: jon sep.stanford.edu

  7. #7

    In article <me.umn.edu>,
    Richard Kaszeta <org> wrote:

    Maybe to iView MediaPro? Lots of good features.
    AES/newspost Guest

  8. #8

    AES/newspost <edu> writes:

    > Maybe to iView MediaPro? Lots of good features.[/ref]

    Probably. I'm messing with the Download and Try version as we speak,
    and will probably buy it soon. Some of it is an adjustment to how I
    do things, but it seems rather nice.

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta
    org

  9. #9

    In article <google.com>,
    net (Jay) wrote:

    I'm trying PhotoRescue now but no matter what I try, I can't get it to
    enable the OK button. :( When I plug in my camera, I do not get a
    'disk' on the desktop (I've seen other cameras do this) and I'm thinking
    PhotoRescue is looking for a 'disk' to work with. Is this the case? Am
    I out of luck then? My camera does use CF cards... maybe with a
    dedicated CF reader device I could get the thing to mount?

    Thanks!
    Sean Guest

  10. #10

    <org> wrote:

    > I'm trying PhotoRescue now but no matter what I try, I can't get it to
    > enable the OK button. :( When I plug in my camera, I do not get a
    > 'disk' on the desktop (I've seen other cameras do this) and I'm thinking
    > PhotoRescue is looking for a 'disk' to work with. Is this the case? Am
    > I out of luck then? My camera does use CF cards... maybe with a
    > dedicated CF reader device I could get the thing to mount?[/ref]

    it needs a 'disk' on which to work. unless your camera supports that
    (and even if it does), a card reader is highly suggested. i think the
    photorescue readme even indicates which card readers work and which do
    not. besides, you'll find a card reader to be very useful anyway:)
    nospam Guest

  11. #11

    because of this I disabled the OSX autodownload feature, and now do it
    from GraphicConverter. I don't know wether GC checks space better, but
    had no more problems since then.

    Herve

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, net
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address

  12. #12

    :> The exact same thing happened to me. My harddisk got full but iPhoto
    :> went ahead and deleted everything on the CF card anyway!

    I've had that problem, and another too.

    Several times when I have had
    more than about 150 pics in my Canon S200,
    iPhoto seems to give up during the upload giving
    a message that it didn't delete [whew!].
    Luckily it does not remove the photos from the Canon.
    This means I can try again, which I do.
    It still gives up before finishing.
    I don't know if this problem is a timeout or a memory overflow.

    The only way I can get all the photos out of the Canon
    is to delete the ones that have successfully uploaded
    so the next upload attempt will attempt a smaller
    transfer.

    I suppose I should help Apple/Canon debug this but....

  14. #14

    In article <bl2k0e$184$Stanford.EDU>,
    Jon Claerbout <Stanford.EDU> wrote:

    Check the settings on your camera. I don't have access to my camera
    right now so I can't tell you exactly where to find the setting you
    need, but one of them turns the camera off after a period of inactivity.
    That setting can be changed so that the camera stays on for the duration
    of the download.

    MR
    Mel Guest