Professional Web Applications Themes

iPod + iSight = camcorder? - Mac Portable

Here's a thought: iSight takes video and audio and produces a FireWire stream. An iPod can store a FireWire data stream when it acts as a hard disk. So: iPod + iSight + adaptor = tiny FireWire camcorder? I know it's not feasible with the devices as they stand but it may be as simple as a firmware update away! C'mon Apple ... ! Cheers, Matthew....

  1. #1

    Default iPod + iSight = camcorder?

    Here's a thought: iSight takes video and audio and produces a FireWire
    stream. An iPod can store a FireWire data stream when it acts as a hard
    disk. So: iPod + iSight + adaptor = tiny FireWire camcorder?

    I know it's not feasible with the devices as they stand but it may be as
    simple as a firmware update away!

    C'mon Apple ... !

    Cheers,

    Matthew.
    Matthew Kirkcaldie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iPod + iSight = camcorder?

    In article Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:
    > Here's a thought: iSight takes video and audio and produces a FireWire
    > stream. An iPod can store a FireWire data stream when it acts as a hard
    > disk. So: iPod + iSight + adaptor = tiny FireWire camcorder?
    >
    > I know it's not feasible with the devices as they stand but it may be as
    > simple as a firmware update away!
    >
    > C'mon Apple ... !
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Matthew.
    You can already do this with the free QuickTime Broadcaster...

    All the tricks are here...

    [url]http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/07/01/isight.html[/url]

    Enjoy!

    Oxford

    -
    Oxford Guest

  3. #3

    In article <csma-F8B649.22322710092003news.uswest.net>,
    Oxford <csmamac.com> wrote:
    > You can already do this with the free QuickTime Broadcaster...
    >
    > All the tricks are here...
    >
    > [url]http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/07/01/isight.html[/url]
    >
    > Enjoy!
    Nice post, but I think carrying a PowerBook / iBook around rather
    defeats the camcorder idea. I'm talking about plugging iSight directly
    into the iPod, so you have a little camera tube and a tiny iPod as a
    unit, for a very small handheld digital camcorder.

    Cheers,

    Matthew.
    Matthew Kirkcaldie Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <Matthew.Kirkcaldie-AA42C3.15033811092003seagoon.newcastle.edu.au>,
    Matthew Kirkcaldie <Matthew.Kirkcaldienewcastle.edu.au> wrote:
    > In article <csma-F8B649.22322710092003news.uswest.net>,
    > Oxford <csmamac.com> wrote:
    >
    > > You can already do this with the free QuickTime Broadcaster...
    > >
    > > All the tricks are here...
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/07/01/isight.html[/url]
    > >
    > > Enjoy!
    >
    > Nice post, but I think carrying a PowerBook / iBook around rather
    > defeats the camcorder idea. I'm talking about plugging iSight directly
    > into the iPod, so you have a little camera tube and a tiny iPod as a
    > unit, for a very small handheld digital camcorder.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Matthew.
    How much power does the iSight draw? If the iPod can supply power via
    it's port (can it?), you'll drain the battery in that thing pretty fast
    unless you carry an additional battery, which starts getting pretty
    complicated.
    John Johnson Guest

  5. #5

    In article <null-8C5347.00451511092003newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>,
    John Johnson <nullinvalid.com> wrote:
    > How much power does the iSight draw? If the iPod can supply power via
    > it's port (can it?), you'll drain the battery in that thing pretty fast
    > unless you carry an additional battery, which starts getting pretty
    > complicated.
    You're right - but I'm envisaging a little handgrip with a battery in
    it, a cradle for the iPod connector and a mounting clip and FW socket
    for the iSight. It would probably cost about $100 to do that, and added
    to an iPod and an iSight you'd have a digital camcorder under $500. Not
    a full-featured one, but a pretty darned good one.

    Matthew.
    Matthew Kirkcaldie Guest

  6. #6

    Matthew Kirkcaldie <Matthew.Kirkcaldienewcastle.edu.au> wrote:
    > > You can already do this with the free QuickTime Broadcaster...
    > >
    > > All the tricks are here...
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/07/01/isight.html[/url]
    > >
    > > Enjoy!
    >
    > Nice post, but I think carrying a PowerBook / iBook around rather
    > defeats the camcorder idea. I'm talking about plugging iSight directly
    > into the iPod, so you have a little camera tube and a tiny iPod as a
    > unit, for a very small handheld digital camcorder.

    yeah, i read that too quick and hit send even quicker... yes, power is
    the problem... that camera s a lot of juice, so you'd need more
    battery to make what your proposing work... if you ever feel one when
    it's on, it's HOT... i still believe apple is working on it's own
    digital camera, similar to the quicktake but 5 years later, so what your
    looking for is coming up... just a matter of time...

    oxford

    -
    Oxford Guest

  7. #7

    Matthew wrote:
    > ...but I'm envisaging a little handgrip with a battery in
    > it, a cradle for the iPod connector and a mounting clip and FW socket
    > for the iSight. It would probably cost about $100 to do that, and
    > added
    > to an iPod and an iSight you'd have a digital camcorder under $500.
    > Not
    > a full-featured one, but a pretty darned good one.
    In general it isn't useful to connect two peripherals, as most such
    devices depend on the computer to provide the handshake-control for
    communicating. Does either the iPod or the iSight contain an
    independent controller? That would be surprising.

    Nigel

    --
    "Some day science may have the existence of mankind
    in its power, and the human race commit suicide,

  8. #8

    In article <110920030741435316%LordBumbreshootyahoo.co.uk> ,
    Nigel Blatheringstock <LordBumbreshootyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
    > In general it isn't useful to connect two peripherals, as most such
    > devices depend on the computer to provide the handshake-control for
    > communicating. Does either the iPod or the iSight contain an
    > independent controller? That would be surprising.
    FireWire allows this kind of connection between devices - it's a feature.

    Matthew.
    Matthew Kirkcaldie Guest