Professional Web Applications Themes

IPSec Interfaces - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

This is my second posting as I took all the advice on the first and it helped a bit but I'm still getting errors on my Event Log. My IPSec can't get a list of all the network interfaces and this represents a security risk. Is this related to the different programs that keep installing themselves on my machine? Do I need to get IPSec to recgnise my USB broadband modem and if so how? I've just installed the Sygate Personal Firewall and Ad Aware and these picked up most of the incoming attacks. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

  1. #1

    Default IPSec Interfaces

    This is my second posting as I took all the advice on the
    first and it helped a bit but I'm still getting errors on
    my Event Log.
    My IPSec can't get a list of all the network interfaces
    and this represents a security risk. Is this related to
    the different programs that keep installing themselves on
    my machine?
    Do I need to get IPSec to recgnise my USB broadband modem
    and if so how?
    I've just installed the Sygate Personal Firewall and Ad
    Aware and these picked up most of the incoming attacks.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    Rob G Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: IPSec Interfaces

    Hi Rob, is your USB broadband modem the only interface IPSec can't see?

    --
    Mark Swift
    Microsoft/Windows/Networking/Secure Network Services/IP Security

    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm"
    ---------------------------------------

    "Rob G" <robmy-flat-in-london.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > This is my second posting as I took all the advice on the
    > first and it helped a bit but I'm still getting errors on
    > my Event Log.
    > My IPSec can't get a list of all the network interfaces
    > and this represents a security risk. Is this related to
    > the different programs that keep installing themselves on
    > my machine?
    > Do I need to get IPSec to recgnise my USB broadband modem
    > and if so how?
    > I've just installed the Sygate Personal Firewall and Ad
    > Aware and these picked up most of the incoming attacks.
    > Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

    Mark Swift [MSFT] Guest

  3. #3

    Yeah, there were no problems using the dial up modem. Any
    ideas?
    IPSec can't see?
    Security
    -------------------
    confers no rights.
    specified at
    -------------------
    message [/ref]
    the [/ref]
    on [/ref]
    on [/ref]
    modem

    >.
    >[/ref]
    RobG Guest

  4. #4

    Can you send me your original post and the suggestions that you tried that
    worked (and what they did)? Just so I can get caught up on the situation.
    I'm wondering:
    1. What programs keep installing themselves on your computer? Is your
    computer infected with a virus or trojan?
    2. What do you expect IPSec to give you?

    I'm assuming that the broadband modem should be acting like a regular
    Network Interface.
    Does the interface show up under Network Connections?
    Does it have an IP address?

    Both of those Answers need to be Yes for IPSec to be able to be used on the
    interface. Now assuming the answer is yes to both, a couple more
    questions/troubleshooting suggestions:

    1. Perhaps the driver for the modem needs to be updated.
    2. Have you tried uninstalling the Sygate Personal Firewall and Ad Aware
    temporarily to see if they are interferring with IPSec? (You can disconnect
    from the internet to do this so that you aren't open for attack. As long as
    the modem still has an IP address).

    I'm also investigating the event message on my end to understand the failure
    scenarios that the event will show up in.

    --

    "RobG" <freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > IPSec can't see?
    > Security
    > -------------------
    > confers no rights.