Hi folks,

Having real problems trying to get a Promise TX2000 RAID controller card
operating reliably.

I have found the following article which appears to descibe a similar
problem ...

[url]https://listman.redhat.com/archives/ataraid-list/2003-February/msg00013.html[/url]

Recently I have not even been able to successfully install Redhat 9 but when
previous attempts have succeeded I have received identical timeout messages
as indicated in the above article.

The problem appears to be interrupt related and there are error messages
displayed during linux bootup related to this which I cannot now display as
I can't even get linux to install in the first place.

Last attempt was as follows :-

ASUS A7M266-D (with updated 1010 BIOS).

ATI Rage AGP 4Mb - AGP Slot 1
PCI Slot 2 (64Bit) - Promise TX2000 (BIOS 2.00.0.28)
PCI Slot 3 (64Bit) - Empty
PCI Slot 4 - Empty
PCI Slot 5 - Basic RTL Chipset 10/100 NIC
PCI Slot 6 - Empty

Created RAID Array (Level 1 - Mirror), Twin 120Gb IBM 8Mb Cache drives)

Booted Redhat 9 from CD using Beta RedHat 9 Driver Disk (1. 02.0.29) and
using linux startup parameters as shown in the section below. I am not
entirely sure what these commands due and whether or not they are totally
applicable to my case ..

When the install get to the formatting disk operation the system completely
hangs ...
Following reboot the RAID controller BIOS shows a critical error and the
"Assign" menu claims one of the drive is disconnected or not functioning.
During the same session the Array can be re-created appears to be fine.

I have tried combination of disabling on of the onboard IDE controllers,
disabling onboard USB changing BIOS settings ALL to no avail).

I really have no clue how to progress any further ...

Thanks in advance for your assistance / advice

Regards,

Phil,

Sheffield,
UK.

** BEGIN LINUX DRIVER INSTALL NOTE **
[NOTE]

Linux Kernels 2.4.x misidentiy Promise ATA-RAID controllers as simple
IDE controllers. This results in the built-in Linux IDE driver trying to
handle the controller and can prevent the proper FastTrak ATA RAID driver
from loading.
Follow the installation instructions AND the parameter commands referred
to below section. This status we called "IDE issue".

1.) "linux ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 ide1=0x170,0x376,15 ide2=0 ide3=0 ide4=0
ide5=0 ide6=0 ide7=0 ide8=0 ide9=0 expert"

2.) "ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14 ide1=0x170,0x376,15 ide2=0 ide3=0 ide4=0 ide5=0
ide6=0 ide7=0 ide8=0 ide9=0"

3.) Occasionally, during bootup, you may see Unresolved Symbols, followed
by an OK or a FAILED. In either case, this is a cosmetic error and
does not affect RedHat Linux 7.3 or the FastTrak RAID Controller
card.

4.) Rarely, during bootup, you may see a HUSH (humble shell) message.
This
is also a cosmetic error and does not affect RedHat Linux 7.3 or the
FastTrak RAID Controller card.

5.) To see information on your array(s) and the Driver version number:

a. Launch your terminal emulation program.

b. Type "cat /proc/scsi/FastTrak/(x)" then press Enter, x is a SCSI
register number in your system.

** END LINUX DRIVER INSTALL NOTE **