Professional Web Applications Themes

Is Contribute the right solution for me? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

Hi, we are a small company of 6 people and are having a website designed. The site requires certain passworded areas and will work hand in hand with an image database in NetPublish. Once the site is up we will be updating the site text, photos and movies on a regular basis both in the public areas and the private membership areas. I believe the site will have a database at the back end to facilitate this. Our site designers are offering to build the site with their own in house custom made CMS system but it is way beyond ...

  1. #1

    Default Is Contribute the right solution for me?

    Hi,

    we are a small company of 6 people and are having a website designed. The site
    requires certain passworded areas and will work hand in hand with an image
    database in NetPublish. Once the site is up we will be updating the site text,
    photos and movies on a regular basis both in the public areas and the private
    membership areas. I believe the site will have a database at the back end to
    facilitate this.

    Our site designers are offering to build the site with their own in house
    custom made CMS system but it is way beyond our budget - any other suggestions
    about which CMS system to use all seem to be way too expensive for us also and
    it was suggested to me that maybe we could just get Macromedia's Contribute and
    use that instead of pay out ?6 - ?10k on a custom made solution.

    What are the issues I need to consider? Clearly there is a massive price
    difference but what is the performance and functionality difference behind this?

    The choices seem to be that either the site is built with an integrated CMS
    right from the start, or else the site is built and we implement a CMS on the
    finished site - what difference does this make? Does it really make any
    difference?

    What are Contribute's limitations in comparison with an 'all singing and
    dancing' solution?

    Any advice, suggestions, guidance, much appreciated,
    thanks for reading.

    lessmess Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Contribute the right solution for me?

    Contribute is a good product.

    Contribute alone will not give you what you might be looking for.

    It is best used in conjunction with template pages created by Dreamweaver.
    If you do not have the ability to build the templates yourself and you
    depend on the company who created the site to build them, the expense will
    add up quickly depending how many styles of pages you have.

    If you need your pages to be more rigid and you want to limit what a content
    editor can do, you will add expense to the price of the templates.

    I really like the product, but you need to spend significant time building
    contribute friendly pages.

    dburley at hannaford dot com

    "lessmess" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > we are a small company of 6 people and are having a website designed. The
    site
    > requires certain passworded areas and will work hand in hand with an image
    > database in NetPublish. Once the site is up we will be updating the site
    text,
    > photos and movies on a regular basis both in the public areas and the
    private
    > membership areas. I believe the site will have a database at the back end
    > facilitate this.
    >
    > Our site designers are offering to build the site with their own in house
    > custom made CMS system but it is way beyond our budget - any other
    suggestions
    > about which CMS system to use all seem to be way too expensive for us also
    and
    > it was suggested to me that maybe we could just get Macromedia's
    Contribute and
    > use that instead of pay out ?6 - ?10k on a custom made solution.
    >
    > What are the issues I need to consider? Clearly there is a massive price
    > difference but what is the performance and functionality difference behind
    this?

    > The choices seem to be that either the site is built with an integrated
    CMS
    > right from the start, or else the site is built and we implement a CMS on
    the
    > finished site - what difference does this make? Does it really make any
    > difference?
    >
    > What are Contribute's limitations in comparison with an 'all singing and
    > dancing' solution?
    >
    > Any advice, suggestions, guidance, much appreciated,
    > thanks for reading.

    David Burley Guest

  3. #3

    By looking at all the unanswered posts on this list, how can you think that
    Contribute is good for anyone? Even Macromedia has abandoned us. I am faced
    with redoing in Dreamweaver a substantial part of another's work in Contribute
    because the program is so broken.

    ... so I'm not recommending it to anyone. However, make up your own mind ...
    but look at all the frustrated users and many, many problems they have, and the
    lack of support. Makes you think, doesn't it?

    Room446 Guest

  4. #4

    A couple of things...

    This is a user group so there will always be a lot of unanswered posts.
    There aren't many usenet usergroups that are managed by the software
    company. You'd like to think that someone from Macromedia would monitor
    this and manage the bad press, but, at this time they don't so you get a lot
    of user levels answering questions they may or may not be qualified to
    answer, myself including. As compared to the Dreamweaver group, there
    aren't many posts in this group.

    And, I agree that there are bugs, problems, etc. but compared to some
    alternatives, it's pretty good. I'll take this over frontpage any day.

    But, this is still a relatively new progam and hopefully it will get better.
    I've seen major advances from version 1.

  5. #5

    David, thank you.

    Yes, Contribute is still very new, its only at version 3. Ask yourself, what
    version are GREAT products like Dreamweaver and Photoshop currently at?

    Innovation, takes time. But it is getting there. Contribute is most effective
    if you first setup Dreamweaver templates and THEN deploy those templates to
    users who have Contribute installed.

    mzanime.com Guest