Professional Web Applications Themes

is director and shockwave3d the right choice? - Macromedia Director 3D

Hi all. We want to sell a shockwave-based web-product (including shockwave3d-content) to a very big and severe customer (with real big traffic). Then I read the news topics about installation problems, yahoo-installation-pop-up, IE crashes after reloading 3d-content, no further development of the 3d-engine, and so on ... Is shockwave-3d dead before we get the contract?... So the decision to use director and shockwave seems not to be a good one!!! I would like to read your opinion about that, because we have to decide for the right tool soon. Thanks and best regards, Hilmar....

  1. #1

    Default is director and shockwave3d the right choice?

    Hi all.

    We want to sell a shockwave-based web-product (including
    shockwave3d-content) to a very big and severe customer (with real big
    traffic).

    Then I read the news topics about installation problems,
    yahoo-installation-pop-up, IE crashes after reloading 3d-content, no further
    development of the 3d-engine, and so on ...

    Is shockwave-3d dead before we get the contract?...

    So the decision to use director and shockwave seems not to be a good one!!!

    I would like to read your opinion about that, because we have to decide for
    the right tool soon.

    Thanks and best regards,

    Hilmar.

    Hilmar Hermens Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: is director and shockwave3d the right choice?

    Hi Hilmar,

    Director/Shockwave 3D definately has it's faults (eg., new Yahoo! toolbar
    download), and I've looked into other real-time Web 3D technologies myself.
    But so far Shockwave 3D has proven to be the best in terms of market
    potential.

    There are other technologies out there you could go with like WildTangent,
    Virtools, X3D, Atmosphere, etc... But which other technology could give you
    the browser penetration of Shockwave and a powerfull brand like Macromedia?

    And to address your issues specifically. Macromedia is currently looking
    into providing "Shockwave Pro", a service that will allow us developers to
    provide the Shockwave plug-in to our customers free of the Shockwave.com
    re-direct, registration process, and Yahoo! toolbar download. I've found
    that IE crashes are usually more due to bad coding/poorly written Xtras than
    anything having to do with Director/Shockwave itself. And Intel is under
    contract with Macromedia to develop two versions of the 3D Xtra, but who
    knows when the second one is coming. But I've found the current version of
    the 3D Xtra provides most of the functionality I need (except multi-layer
    textures and bump mapping support would be nice).

    Steve

    "Hilmar Hermens" <h.hermenseprosoft.de> wrote in message
    > Hi all.
    >
    > We want to sell a shockwave-based web-product (including
    > shockwave3d-content) to a very big and severe customer (with real big
    > traffic).
    >
    > Then I read the news topics about installation problems,
    > yahoo-installation-pop-up, IE crashes after reloading 3d-content, no
    further
    > development of the 3d-engine, and so on ...
    >
    > Is shockwave-3d dead before we get the contract?...
    >
    > So the decision to use director and shockwave seems not to be a good
    one!!!

    > I would like to read your opinion about that, because we have to decide
    for
    > the right tool soon.
    >
    > Thanks and best regards,
    >
    > Hilmar.

    zippy Guest

  3. #3

    You should really consider Anark.

    [url]www.anark.com[/url]

    Scott Kerr Guest

  4. #4

    > Macromedia is currently looking
    > into providing "Shockwave Pro",
    Got any linkage on that?

    Aldo Hoeben Guest

  5. #5

    "Aldo Hoeben" <aldostudiopko.nl> wrote in message
    > > Macromedia is currently looking
    > > into providing "Shockwave Pro",
    >
    > Got any linkage on that?
    It's not true: it's just an idea that was suggested on some of the
    mailinglists, it did not come from anyone at Macromedia. I'm sure Tom
    Higgins has passed the suggestion along, but I seriously doubt it will ever
    come about. Personally, I think it would just be counterproductive anyway.

    - Robert

    Robert Tweed Guest

  6. #6

    "The idea of having a "pro" installation process is also something we'll
    look
    into as well as continuing to work on refining the current installation
    process"

    source: Miriam Geller of Macromedia to dirGames-L list

    "Robert Tweed" <robertkillingmoon.com> wrote in message
    > "Aldo Hoeben" <aldostudiopko.nl> wrote in message
    > > > Macromedia is currently looking
    > > > into providing "Shockwave Pro",
    > >
    > > Got any linkage on that?
    >
    > It's not true: it's just an idea that was suggested on some of the
    > mailinglists, it did not come from anyone at Macromedia. I'm sure Tom
    > Higgins has passed the suggestion along, but I seriously doubt it will
    ever
    > come about. Personally, I think it would just be counterproductive anyway.
    >
    > - Robert

    zippy Guest

  7. #7

    "zippy" <zippyzippy.com> wrote in message
    > "The idea of having a "pro" installation process is also something we'll
    > look
    > into as well as continuing to work on refining the current installation
    > process"
    >
    > source: Miriam Geller of Macromedia to dirGames-L list
    Sorry, you're right, I either missed or disregarded that statement -
    however, the idea did not come from Macromedia and there still isn't any
    official _support_ of the suggestion from Macromedia. The statement "looking
    into it" could mean they are seriously considering it, or (more likely IMHO)
    it could simply be a diplomatic way of dismissing the suggestion outright:
    there is simply no way to know until there is an official statement of
    intent from Macromedia.

    However, the implication in your original post was that Macromedia is
    seriously considering or actually working on a Shockwave Pro plugin, which
    is rather misleading. Quite frankly there is already enough rumour and
    heresay going around about the future of Director and Shockwave without
    adding this to the list.

    - Robert

    Robert Tweed Guest