Professional Web Applications Themes

is G3 going bye bye? - Mac Portable

I'm thinking about buying G3 iBook, however, G5 is now available, and I'm afraid that when buying this G3, I'll pay for something which will be out of the market very soon, with no support for new (OS) software, etc, etc. (it won't be long till we see G5 powerbooks and G4 iBooks...) How long will my iBook be reasonably "up-to-date"? Should I wait for a G4 iBook, or is that going to be a long time, and will the prices drop dramatically? If I see new models iBook G4 for let's say 1500 Euro's in a couple of months, ...

  1. #1

    Default is G3 going bye bye?

    I'm thinking about buying G3 iBook,
    however, G5 is now available, and I'm afraid that when buying this G3, I'll
    pay for something which will be out of the market very soon, with no support
    for new (OS) software, etc, etc. (it won't be long till we see G5 powerbooks
    and G4 iBooks...)
    How long will my iBook be reasonably "up-to-date"?
    Should I wait for a G4 iBook, or is that going to be a long time, and will
    the prices drop dramatically? If I see new models iBook G4 for let's say
    1500 Euro's in a couple of months, I'm going to be really ed... ;-)

    AJ

    AJ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: is G3 going bye bye?

    "AJ" <mailnl.nl> writes:
    > I'm thinking about buying G3 iBook,
    > How long will my iBook be reasonably "up-to-date"?
    Well, mine's two years old and I use it daily...

    Moreover, we use a beige G3 (now 5 years old!) with
    Jaguar. No problems (ok, not blazingly fast, but then,
    neither is my 500Mhz iBook, either).

    If it does what you need _now_, then it'll keep doing
    that later on.
    > Should I wait for a G4 iBook, or is that going to be a long time,
    > and will the prices drop dramatically? If I see new models iBook G4
    > for let's say 1500 Euro's in a couple of months, I'm going to be
    > really ed... ;-)
    For what it's worth, however, if I needed a machine _today_,
    it'd probably be the 12" powerBook, not the iBook. The
    price difference for a combo-drive equipped machine is
    $300 - $1299 v. $1599, but for that extra $$, you get the
    G4, better video, *video out*, and airport extreme compatibility.

    The iBook is the only G3 remaining in the lineup and I
    don't really expect it to stick around much longer, though
    I sincerely hope that Apple doesn't go dropping support
    for it any time soon.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- [url]http://www.expita.com/nomime.html[/url]
    [url]http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting[/url]
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  3. #3

    In article <yobk7b96kx7.fsfpanix3.panix.com>,
    <BreadWithSpamfractious.net> wrote:
    > Moreover, we use a beige G3 (now 5 years old!) with
    > Jaguar. No problems (ok, not blazingly fast, but then,
    > neither is my 500Mhz iBook, either).
    Did you wipe the hard disk and partition it to install Jaguar or did
    you do it right over the old system you had on it with no 8GB
    partition?

    --
    Lou Pecora
    - My views are my own.

  4. #4

    "Louis M. Pecora" <pecoraanvil.nrl.navy.mil> writes:
    > <BreadWithSpamfractious.net> wrote:
    > > Moreover, we use a beige G3 (now 5 years old!) with
    > > Jaguar. No problems (ok, not blazingly fast, but then,
    > Did you wipe the hard disk and partition it to install Jaguar or did
    > you do it right over the old system you had on it with no 8GB
    > partition?
    It's got a 40gb IDE drive, though for a long long time, I
    just used that for user folders and used a 4gb scsi drive
    as the boot volume (when it was a 10.1 machine). Now
    the 40gb is partitioned. We had some trouble installing 10.2 -
    screen blanking and system freezing in the middle of the
    installer run. Had to remove some memory and a pci card
    or two before the install worked. Then we put that stuff
    right back in and all of it is just fine.

    Honestly, I've no idea why Apple's installer is so flakey.
    Everything _else_ works just fine.

  5. #5

    "AJ" <mailnl.nl> writes:
    > <BreadWithSpamfractious.net> wrote
    >
    > > G4, better video, *video out*, and airport extreme compatibility.
    >
    > I thought that iBook also had video out??
    It's nearly worthless. It's just mirroring at 1024x768.

    The G4 has real second screen video out and at higher res.

  6. #6

    AJ <mailnl.nl> wrote:
    > I'm thinking about buying G3 iBook,
    > however, G5 is now available, and I'm afraid that when buying this G3, I'll
    > pay for something which will be out of the market very soon, with no support
    > for new (OS) software, etc, etc. (it won't be long till we see G5 powerbooks
    > and G4 iBooks...)
    First, in the computer world you can be pretty sure that your computer
    will be replaced by a faster/cheaper/different model in no more than 6
    months and usually less. That doesn't mean it is obsolete - especially
    in the Mac world. Any computer being sold today runs OS X 10.2 quite
    well and the next iteration of OS X will be even more nimble.

    Second, the G5 isn't likely to wind up in a notebook soon - early spring
    at the latest and I'll bet this time next year is more likely.
    Motorola's G4 chips are likely to power the PowerMacs for some time to
    come. Meanwhile expect G3's to remain in the iBooks until late winter.
    > How long will my iBook be reasonably "up-to-date"?
    > Should I wait for a G4 iBook, or is that going to be a long time, and will
    > the prices drop dramatically? If I see new models iBook G4 for let's say
    > 1500 Euro's in a couple of months, I'm going to be really ed... ;-)
    Deal with it - it happens - but don't expect it.
    Strider Guest

  7. #7

    In <3efac91d$0$8308$4d4ebb8eread.news.nl.uu.net> AJ wrote:
    > I'm thinking about buying G3 iBook,
    > however, G5 is now available, and I'm afraid that when buying this G3,
    > I'll pay for something which will be out of the market very soon, with
    > no support for new (OS) software, etc, etc.
    Panther should run roughly on anything capable of running Quartz Extreme.
    That is - even 2002' iBooks. Whatever you buy now, it will be supported
    by MacOS until about 3 years (that's a sortof rule of a thumb - Jaguar
    runs even on 1998 Macs, but only on 2000 Macs forward on with reasonable
    speed).
    > see G5 powerbooks and G4 iBooks...) How long will my iBook be
    > reasonably "up-to-date"?
    Well, if you think of running professional audio/video/graphics
    applications, it's unreasonably slow even on the day of purchase. If you
    intend to play 3D games, it will run almost anything that is on the
    market right now and will become obsolete and annoying as a gaming
    machine in 1-2 years. If you want to just write/mail/chat/surf using the
    latest software, it's something like 3-4 years.
    > Should I wait for a G4 iBook,
    It is already on the market. It's called 12" powerbook :-).
    > or is that
    > going to be a long time, and will the prices drop dramatically? If I
    > see new models iBook G4 for let's say 1500 Euro's in a couple of
    > months, I'm going to be really ed... ;-)
    iBook G4 would appear ONLY after the 12" powerbook G5. And it is not to
    be expected "in a couple of months", even if we'll apply a very liberal
    definition of a "couple" :-)

    --
    Serwis Usenet w portalu Gazeta.pl -> [url]http://www.gazeta.pl/usenet/[/url]
    Wojciech Orlinski Guest