Professional Web Applications Themes

Is InDesign the right product for our needs? - Adobe Indesign Windows

Morten, I admire you for what you are doing and the adventure you are about to step into. I have a 1000 questions about InDesign being the right product for my needs also. I am developing the editorial content for a magazine and I am unclear if InDesign 2.0 the full version is a great stand alone program or if I will need several more products such a photoshop, pagemaker etc. I would, like you and your partners, like to prep/prepare/layout/complete the entire project in house and just send it to the printer for printing and distribution. Can I achieve ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Is InDesign the right product for our needs?

    Morten, I admire you for what you are doing and the adventure you are about to step into. I have a 1000 questions about InDesign being the right product for my needs also.

    I am developing the editorial content for a magazine and I am unclear if InDesign 2.0 the full version is a great stand alone program or if I will need several more products such a photoshop, pagemaker etc.

    I would, like you and your partners, like to prep/prepare/layout/complete the entire project in house and just send it to the printer for printing and distribution. Can I achieve that with InDesign by itself?

    Anyone...

    Thank you very much for your help in advance:-)

    Brian R Maritn
    brian_r_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Can I achieve that with InDesign by itself?

    No, because you're going to need to edit photos, and InDesign can't do that. You'll need Photoshop for that.

    You will also probably want Illustrator, for high-end illustrating needs. InDesign has some of Illustrator's features, but not all of them.

    You will also probably want Acrobat (the full version, not the free reader), to work with InDesign-generated PDFs prior to sending them to the printer. It's also occasionally useful if other people send you PDFs that need minor (very minor) corrections.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    >...I am unclear if InDesign 2.0 the full version is a great stand alone
    program or if I will need several more products such a photoshop, pagemaker
    etc.

    Stu's right, you should look at the Premium Creative Suite.

    The wild card is handling the material submitted by outside
    authors/designers/ad agencies. Sometimes it's great to have a copy of
    PageMaker, a complete MS Office setup, and who knows what else. Seems like
    you wouldn't need all of that at once, though.

    -John O

    JohnO@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Seems like
    you wouldn't need all of that at once, though.

    Thanks Stu and JohnO.

    So, would I be safe to start off with InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator? Would this be enough to get a quality Pilot copy/issue out? I am very excited about the project and want to get started but I don't want to produce a sub-standard Pilot issue.

    And as far as the Ad agencies, is the standard for them to email or snail mail the "artwork" file? (or put a disc in my hand).

    BRM
    brian_r_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    "And as far as the Ad agencies, is the standard for them to email or snail
    mail the "artwork" file? (or put a disc in my hand)."

    You will probably get Quark files on a Mac CD. Totally useless from your
    point of view. Are you placing the ads directly to page, or are you using a
    repro company who could save the ads back to you as PDFs?

    As far as your software list is concerned, I exist happily on InDesign,
    Photoshop Elements (too mean to buy the full product) and Acrobat. But then
    I don't really do much vector graphics creation, and most of my
    illustrations are supplied from outside.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    > So, would I be safe to start off with InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator?

    Yep, and you're likely to find Acrobat very useful too. If you buy the suite
    you get all of this stuff cheaper than buying any three individually.

  7. #7

    This is great help guys....:-)

    Now for another "you can tell I am new" question.... Keep in mind budget..tight budget...very tight budget. At least until I start signing up the Advertisers. So to answer your question Ken, I want to do as much in-house prepress work as possible... and I do mean "in house" :-)

    Are the earlier versions of these programs... PhotoShop 5.0 LE, lets say and Indesign 1.5 (or 1.0 God forbid) as well as illustrator 6, 7 or whatever, going to cut back on the quality or just the options for creative layout? And will they work as well together as the newer versions?

    BRM
    brian_r_martin@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I'll go out on a limb and say that anything at version 6 or better is fine.
    Don't do ID any lower than 2, but get CS if you can.

  9. #9

    So, would I be safe to start off with InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator?

    Safe but not wise due to your very tight budget amongst other reasons.
    Gabriel_Ayala@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Photoshop Elements is the choice for raster image processing on a budget. The one really significant limitation for print work is its lack of CMYK capability. I use it exclusively, but then I only do B&W work, so CMYK is not an issue.

    On a budget, you can probably survive without Illustrator. InDesign and Photoshop, or InDesign and Photoshop Elements, are the two must-haves.
    Stu_Bloom@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    "to take care of the publishing of our book project(s), meaning fairly large books (around 300 pages)."

    Two questions:

    1. What does your printer NEED as input? Check with various printers and find out what their requirements are, what their prices are, and make a tentative selection of printer. Take in some examples of the kind of pages you will be printing for your chats.

    If a printer's rep will not take the time to meet with you, cross them off your list. Small projects like this are their bread and butter.

    When you know what they need as input, then you are in a better position to pick software.

    2. What does your audience expect? Are they information-driven and happy with a clean easy to read format, or do they expect "professional" doo-dads like bleeds, microjustification, etc. To be brutal, most readers can't tell (and don't care) whether the book was produced by a $$$$$ layout program or Timmy Typesetting software. They care about the content - perfect your writing and editing before you worry about typesetting.
    Fulana_Detal@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    "as far as the Ad agencies, is the standard for them to email or snail mail the "artwork" file? (or put a disc in my hand). "

    You are paying them ... tell them what you NEED (file format and OS) and they should deliver it. If they can't hand you what you need, find a different agency. You shouldn't have to maintain a full set of everything ever used by any artist ... it's their job to keep the customers happy.
    Fulana_Detal@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Fuluna: We're located in a small country and more or less on the countryside. We've chosen our printer on the basis that we know some people there. Their prices are fair. They've already produced hundreds and hundreds of book, out of which many really look great and anytime we need an appointment it is only five minutes away instead of hours. The whole production of some 5000 books is also delivered at our doorstep with no extra cost.

    We will check this with what they need more thoroughly, but they claim to possess InDesign and that they receive ID files.

    As for what you write about picky design details I completely agree with you, and our main focus will stay on the writing and not the least the image quality which is both independant of the ID design skills.
    And I must admit that although not directly copying any design we will spend a lot of time (and have already spent) studying other books.

    I also don't think we risk to much if we go for a safe common type or usual combination of two types. Most of the books in our genre, although highly focused on large quality images, are fairly simple in their design..

    QUESTION: I've just started playing around the first few ours with ID tryout and some doents, and I was wondering: when building books will you be able to force the start of any subdoent (read: chapter for our part) to either a left or a right page? Meaning if the final length of the previous doent is so that it ends on a right hand side page and I want the next chapter / doent to start on a right hand side, are there any settings, that if necessary add a blank page between the chapters / doents?
    Morten_Helgesen@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Stu:

    "Photoshop Elements is the choice for raster image processing on a budget.
    The one really significant limitation for print work is its lack of CMYK
    capability. I use it exclusively, but then I only do B&W work, so CMYK is
    not an issue."

    CMYK is not really an issue if you have a PDF workflow. Work in RGB in
    InDesign and do the CMYK conversion when you output to PDF - but with
    reservations that need some trial error over things like transparency and
    any other factors which call for cohesion between the colour settings of
    different objects.

    The major limitiation I find with PhotoShop Elements is pasting from a
    screen grab, which it won't do. I have an older copy of PaintShop Pro which
    I use for that, then save as TIFF and open in PSE.

    Fulana:

    "as far as the Ad agencies, is the standard for them to email or snail mail
    the "artwork" file? (or put a disc in my hand). "

    You are paying them ... "

    Wrong. Ad agencies are being paid by the advetisers, not the publisher. And
    in my experience many of them maintain a Quark/Mac-centric view of life
    which says 'this is what I produce, you should be capable of handling it'.

    You need to talk to them nicely to prise out a PDF.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Sorry, bit of a bum steer there. "The major limitiation I find with
    PhotoShop Elements is pasting from a
    screen grab, which it won't do. "

    Of course it will, I was just doing it incorrectly - Paintshop Pro will
    paste directly from the clipboard, creating a doent as it goes. With PSE
    you have to creat the doent first, then you can paste into it from the
    clipboard.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    FWIW, Ken, that's the same way Photoshop works and IMO that's the right
    way. PS knows what's on the clipboard and creates a new file properly
    sized for you to paste into.

    Bob

    Robert_Levine@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    Thanks Bob.

    I haven't had PSE for very long, and pasting from the clipboard is not
    something I do very often. I just got used to pasting into nothing in
    Paintshop Pro and getting everything set up in the process.

    One thing I do miss from Paintshop Pro is the colour replacer. You can
    select two colours with the eyedropper, and double click in the file for all
    pixels of one selection to be coloured with the other. PSE doesn't have this
    as far as I can find. Does the full Photoshop?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    There is a replace color feature in Photoshop. There's a fully fuctional
    demo on Adobe's website. Why not download it and check it out.

  19. #19

    >Meaning if the final length of the previous doent is so that it ends on
    a right hand side page and I want the next chapter / doent to start on a
    right hand side, are there any settings, that if necessary add a blank page
    between the chapters / doents?

    Sure, just make sure every doc has an even number of pages. I do this
    manually, it's 5 seconds of work.

  20. #20

    Thanks Bob. Perhaps I will, but having bought PSE which does just about
    everything I need, I'm unlikely to buy the full product. Thanks for the info
    anyway.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast