Professional Web Applications Themes

Is it possible for an Airport to act as a bridge? - Mac Networking

Act as a bridge to another wireless base station?...

  1. #1

    Default Is it possible for an Airport to act as a bridge?

    Act as a bridge to another wireless base station?
    Terry Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is it possible for an Airport to act as a bridge?

    In article <260120041128071439%iname.com>,
    Terry McDanel <iname.com> wrote:

    Yes.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <260120041128071439%iname.com>,

    Reginald Guest

  4. #4

    In article <verizon.net>,
    Reginald Dwight <net> wrote:

    > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106021[/ref]

    That article refers to bridging wireless to ethernet; not wireless BS to
    wireless BS. I believe the new Extreme base stations can accomplish
    this but the older Graphite and Snow models cannot.

    If you do get base station to base station relaying to work, you will
    take a substantial performance hit since the base station cannot receive
    an incoming packet and retransmit it at the same time.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  5. #5

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    Oops. You're right.

    Yes, the Extreme's go BS to BS but the older one's can't.
    Reginald Guest

  6. #6

    In article <ash.giganews.com>,
    Tom Stiller <net> wrote:

    > > http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106021[/ref]
    >
    > That article refers to bridging wireless to ethernet; not wireless BS to
    > wireless BS. I believe the new Extreme base stations can accomplish
    > this but the older Graphite and Snow models cannot.
    >
    > If you do get base station to base station relaying to work, you will
    > take a substantial performance hit since the base station cannot receive
    > an incoming packet and retransmit it at the same time.[/ref]

    Yes. This is exactly what i had in mind. I had hoped to catch the
    signal from another BaseStation in another building with
    a high gain antenna like
    http://www.techdepot.com/product.asp?productid=310873&iid=940
    (which as you can see is expensive)

    connected to a bridge like:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=602&scid=36

    Then Ethernet wire the bridge to my Airport on a different channel.

    The problems are:

    Finding a high gain antenna that is not too expensive. (Apple's
    Airport directional antenna is good but probably only connects to the
    Airport basestation. If the base station cannot act as a bridge itself
    that is no help. If it could receive on one channel and broadcast on
    another ... well probably very unlikely.)

    And that connects to a bridge like Linksys' WET-11 but it doesnt look
    like the WET-11 takes an external high gain antenna.

    The other problem is that I am afraid the Airport would distribute IPs
    upstream or, if distributing is turned off, my laptop would not have an
    IP.

    A simpler configuration is to have a wireless bridge connected to a
    high gain outdoor antenna and ethernet wire the laptop computer
    directly to the bridge.

    The simplest configuration of all would be if you could connect a high
    gain antenna or amplifier to a Mac laptop, which Apple does not
    accommodate.

    I should think this would be very well explored territory.
    Thanks for your intelligent response Tom.

    terry.
    Terry Guest

  7. #7

    Terry McDanel <iname.com> wrote:

    You might want to look at the "Going the Distance" section of Engst and
    Fleishman's Wireless Networking Starter Kit, Second Edition
    <http://www.wireless-starter-kit.com/>.
    Neill Guest

  8. #8

    In article <260120042343326689%iname.com>,
    Terry McDanel <iname.com> wrote:

    Thats a lot of trouble. How far apart are the buildings? It might be
    easier and cheaper to just string cable, even if it sounds less elegant.

    --
    mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu

  9. #9

    In article <upenn.edu>, Mark
    Haase <net> wrote:

    > Thats a lot of trouble. How far apart are the buildings? It might be
    > easier and cheaper to just string cable, even if it sounds less elegant.[/ref]

    No. Across the street.
    Terry Guest