Professional Web Applications Themes

Is it possible to change the default font used by Illustrator? - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I would like to set Illustrator to use a different default font from Myriad. Is this possible and if so, how? Thanks, Ron...

  1. #1

    Default Is it possible to change the default font used by Illustrator?

    Ronald_Cowell@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Ron, yes, see the instructions here, first hint:

    <http://www.bugge.com/Family-and-friends/Illy/illy.html>
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Ron:

    When using Illustrator CS I made Actions for the different type fonts I commonly used and assigned keyboard shortcuts in the Actions palette (e.g. Ctrl + 2 & 3). This was handy. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I am trying to change the default font from Myriad Roman to one of the Open Type fonts in the AIPrefs file. So far I have been unable to name a font so that it will work as a replacement.

    Has anybody found a name that AIPrefs will accept and change to the default in Illustrator CS2?

    I've been trying to make both Myriad Pro Regular and Minion Pro Regular work and have not found the formula for either.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Jim, I can see that I shall have to extend the rules in the link from the first post.

    In AI10, Myriad Pro answers to MyriadPro-Regular; I do not have Minion Pro. Have you tried MyriadPro, MyriadPro-Regular, MyriadPro-Roman, and the corresponding names for Minion?

    The rules I will add is that when everything else fails, you can:

    1. Create and save an AI file where you use the font (you can name it after the font),
    2. Open this AI file in Notepad,
    3. Search for the core font name (Myriad for Myriad Pro, Minion for Minion Pro) and save the exact form of the font name,
    4. Find all occurrences of the default Myriad and replace it by the font name from step 3.

    How do the two fonts names appear?

    a) In the AI drop down list,
    b) In the doent you create.

    Which version of Illy?
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Got it! Thanks! Your instructions worked like a charm.
    Ronald_Cowell@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks, Jacob.

    I'm working in the new CS2 version.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    No matter what I do in the Illustrator CS2 AIPerfs file, Illustrator refuses to default to anything other than <Myriad Roman*> when I open a new doent. It's not that I can't change to another font in the doent. It's just that it irks me that such an expensive program designed by the world's premiere graphics software company has such a crude interface that it MUST call up a default font that doesn't even exist on my computer. And I can't change it without resorting to archaic DOS-like manipulations that don't work anyway. This is crazy!

    There. I've had my say and I feel better now.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Jim:

    Have you been changing the aiprefs while Illustrator was CLOSED? This is absolutely vital.

    Bert
    Bert Guest

  10. #10

    Ronald, you are welcome.

    Jim, I would ask you the same as Bert did. And, what happens when you follow the steps in the instructions. Just take your time, we shall be here.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Yep, I made the changes with Illustrator closed, and followed the steps in the instructions.

    I'll start all over again, though, and doent my steps, then post them here.

    Thanks for the patient help.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    OK.

    I've tried to change the default font numerous times now following Jacob's excellent instructions, with Illustrator CS2 closed down, and AIPrefs opened through Notepad.

    I have tried the following combinations:

    MyriadPro-Regular
    Myriad Pro-Regular
    MyriadPro
    Myriad Pro
    MyriadPro-Roman
    Myriad Pro-Roman

    None of them work. Illustrator opens to a blank screen With Myriad Pro Regular as the default font. As soon as I launch a new doent, however, the default font for that new doent still comes up as Myriad Roman Type 1.

    It is just very, very frustrating to buy a piece of Adobe software that is in Version 12 and have it functioning like this.

    I hope somebody can help me resolve this and will appreciate any comments at all.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Just by way of addendum, I found Adobe's own T1/OT name conversion chart in the Typography Forum and the equivalent OT names for Myriad Roman T1 are MyriadPro-Roman for the PC format name or Myriad Pro for the PC menu name. Neither works, as I have said above.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Jim, which form does the font name have when you open a doent with it in notepad, as described in post #4? I suppose you replaced all instances of Myriad with Myriad Pro in the AIPrefs.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    It was so long ago that I figured this out that it took me a while to remember. The way that Adobe set up the default font is in the Character Styles palette of the Startup RGB and CMYK files in the Plugins folder. Open one these folders as a doent and Window> Type> Character Styles. Double click Normal Character style> Basic Character Formula and change the font to what you want. Now save the file and shut down Illustrator. When you open Illustrator and a new doent in the color mode in which you reset the normal character style, the new text default will appear. steve
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Hello Steve,

    You are a genius! it worked like a charm, and where the other methods failed this gave me instant success. Thanks.
    stols_sander@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    I see Adobe has updated their knowledgebase on this:

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322398.html>
    Harron_K._Appleman@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    In AI10 there is no Character Style Palette and corresponding options mentioned in post #14, and merely changing the font in the Startup file only works until Illy is closed; when reopened the default font from the AIPrefs is back, also in the Startup file.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  19. #19

    I used the Actions solution (post #2) in AI10.
    Stephen_Fish@adobeforums.com Guest

  20. #20

    Yes, yes, YES!

    The new support doent:

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/322398.html>

    works PERFECTLY for Illustrator CS2!

    I just wish there was someplace to find out about these things without having to go CRAZY in the process. Don't they have a place where they post a list of these things for each product? All I've ever been able to find is a list of downloads.
    Jim_Treganza@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast