Professional Web Applications Themes

Is It Time for a FAQ Yet? - ASP.NET General

The good news is that, in recent weeks, we seem to be getting a lot more questions from developers new to ASP.NET. The bad news is that, in recent weeks, we seem to be getting a lot more questions from developers new to ASP.NET. :-) There seem to be some basics which aren't being communicated to these new developers before they're being required to write ASP.NET code. Although we can help them individually (and I've tried to do that recently), perhaps it would be better to help them collectively, with a FAQ? I'm especially concerned that there may be new ...

  1. #1

    Default Is It Time for a FAQ Yet?

    The good news is that, in recent weeks, we seem to be getting a lot more
    questions from developers new to ASP.NET.

    The bad news is that, in recent weeks, we seem to be getting a lot more
    questions from developers new to ASP.NET. :-)

    There seem to be some basics which aren't being communicated to these new
    developers before they're being required to write ASP.NET code. Although we
    can help them individually (and I've tried to do that recently), perhaps it
    would be better to help them collectively, with a FAQ?

    I'm especially concerned that there may be new developers we're losing
    because they _don't_ ask questions at all and just give up, and some we're
    going to lose because they're not going to ask questions until they're in
    way over their heads and have developed mistaken ideas about how ASP.NET
    works.

    I don't have enough "copious spare time" to write such a thing, though I'd
    be glad to contribute to a list of questions which should be answered in a
    FAQ. My question for today is, "Can I do <some client-side thing> from the
    server?", and the corollary, "Can I do <some server-side thing> from the
    client?". These are questions which should be answered by someone with more
    patience than I have. I'm too likely to answer, "usually not, because the
    client is not the server". A better answer might include discussion of
    stateless client-server programming. ;-)
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Saunders Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is It Time for a FAQ Yet?

    John,

    Where should it be located? Should we have a database? Who will check if my
    submissions are correct?

    I'd be happy to contribute and help out in any way possible.

    Sincerely,

    --
    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer

    Free code library at:
    [url]www.aboutfortunate.com[/url]

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche

    "John Saunders" <john.saunderssurfcontrol.com> wrote in message
    > The good news is that, in recent weeks, we seem to be getting a lot more
    > questions from developers new to ASP.NET.
    >
    > The bad news is that, in recent weeks, we seem to be getting a lot more
    > questions from developers new to ASP.NET. :-)
    >
    > There seem to be some basics which aren't being communicated to these new
    > developers before they're being required to write ASP.NET code. Although
    we
    > can help them individually (and I've tried to do that recently), perhaps
    it
    > would be better to help them collectively, with a FAQ?
    >
    > I'm especially concerned that there may be new developers we're losing
    > because they _don't_ ask questions at all and just give up, and some we're
    > going to lose because they're not going to ask questions until they're in
    > way over their heads and have developed mistaken ideas about how ASP.NET
    > works.
    >
    > I don't have enough "copious spare time" to write such a thing, though I'd
    > be glad to contribute to a list of questions which should be answered in a
    > FAQ. My question for today is, "Can I do <some client-side thing> from the
    > server?", and the corollary, "Can I do <some server-side thing> from the
    > client?". These are questions which should be answered by someone with
    more
    > patience than I have. I'm too likely to answer, "usually not, because the
    > client is not the server". A better answer might include discussion of
    > stateless client-server programming. ;-)
    > --
    > John Saunders
    > Internet Engineer
    > [email]john.saunderssurfcontrol.com[/email]

    S. Justin Gengo Guest

  3. #3

    "S. Justin Gengo" <sjgengoaboutfortunate.com> wrote in message
    > John,
    >
    > Where should it be located? Should we have a database? Who will check if
    my
    > submissions are correct?
    I hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I'd be responsible for a
    FAQ! Any FAQ maintained by me is DOA - I have no time.

    The right way to be responsible for a FAQ is to write one and tell people
    about it, then see if anyone uses it. Note that I haven't written one.

  4. #4

    John,
    There are several ASP.NET FAQs on the Internet.

    [url]http://www.able-consulting.com/dotnet/aspnet/aspnet_faq.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.aspnetfaq.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.wintellect.com/resources/faqs/default.aspx[/url]
    [url]http://www.aspnet101.com/aspnet101/faq.aspx[/url]
    [url]http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowCategory.asp?CatID=22[/url]
    [url]http://www.aspalliance.com/kenc/[/url]

    I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea.

    A lot of folks who answer posts in the newsgroups get tried of answering the
    same questions over and over again. And hence they create a FAQ web page
    on thier site. Then when they see a FAQ question posted in the newsgroup,
    they just point the user to the FAQ web page.

    e.g.
    Whenever I try access data in my SQL Server database, I keep on getting
    "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" error message . Why?
    [url]http://www.able-consulting.com/dotnet/aspnet/aspnet_faq.htm#Q3[/url]

    ;-)

    --

    Thanks,
    Carl Prothman

    Carl Prothman [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    "Carl Prothman [MVP]" <carlprspamcop.net> wrote in message
    > John,
    > There are several ASP.NET FAQs on the Internet.
    >
    > [url]http://www.able-consulting.com/dotnet/aspnet/aspnet_faq.htm[/url]
    > [url]http://www.aspnetfaq.com[/url]
    > [url]http://www.wintellect.com/resources/faqs/default.aspx[/url]
    > [url]http://www.aspnet101.com/aspnet101/faq.aspx[/url]
    > [url]http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowCategory.asp?CatID=22[/url]
    > [url]http://www.aspalliance.com/kenc/[/url]
    >
    > I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea.
    >
    > A lot of folks who answer posts in the newsgroups get tried of answering
    the
    > same questions over and over again. And hence they create a FAQ web page
    > on thier site. Then when they see a FAQ question posted in the newsgroup,
    > they just point the user to the FAQ web page.
    Carl,

    I just thought that if there were some smaller number of FAQs (and perhaps
    one semi-official one), then people would feel more comfortable responding
    with a link to one of those FAQs. I might even add a link in my signature,
    for instance!

    Clearly, for reasons I don't understand, there are a lot of people who
    either don't know about the FAQs you listed, or who don't find value in
    using them as a first reference.

  6. #6

    What if there was a link to an FAQ posted to the group, dated a ways in the
    future, so it would stay at the top? If the ng admin approved of it ...

    Justin Dutoit

    > "Carl Prothman [MVP]" <carlprspamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > John,
    > > There are several ASP.NET FAQs on the Internet.
    > >
    > > [url]http://www.able-consulting.com/dotnet/aspnet/aspnet_faq.htm[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.aspnetfaq.com[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.wintellect.com/resources/faqs/default.aspx[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.aspnet101.com/aspnet101/faq.aspx[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.aspfaqs.com/aspfaqs/ShowCategory.asp?CatID=22[/url]
    > > [url]http://www.aspalliance.com/kenc/[/url]
    > >
    > > I'm sure there are more, but you get the idea.
    > >
    > > A lot of folks who answer posts in the newsgroups get tried of answering
    > the
    > > same questions over and over again. And hence they create a FAQ web page
    > > on thier site. Then when they see a FAQ question posted in the
    newsgroup,
    > > they just point the user to the FAQ web page.
    >
    > Carl,
    >
    > I just thought that if there were some smaller number of FAQs (and perhaps
    > one semi-official one), then people would feel more comfortable responding
    > with a link to one of those FAQs. I might even add a link in my signature,
    > for instance!
    >
    > Clearly, for reasons I don't understand, there are a lot of people who
    > either don't know about the FAQs you listed, or who don't find value in
    > using them as a first reference.
    > --
    > John Saunders
    > Internet Engineer
    > [email]john.saunderssurfcontrol.com[/email]

    Justin Dutoit Guest

  7. #7

    "Justin Dutoit" <anonanon.com> wrote
    > What if there was a link to an FAQ posted to the group, dated a ways in the
    > future, so it would stay at the top? If the ng admin approved of it ...

    Justin,
    No, that would go against netiquette...
    [url]http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm#Asking[/url]
    - See #12

  8. #8

    Hello All,

    Thanks very much, John, Justin, Carl, and Natty. This is an excellent feedback and I will forward it to someone appropriate.

    Thanks again for your active participation in the group. We appreciate your advice very much.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Get Secure! - [url]www.microsoft.com/security[/url]

    --------------------
    !From: Natty Gur <nattydao2com.com>
    !Subject: Re: Is It Time for a FAQ Yet?
    !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
    !Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:23:09 -0700
    !
    !Hi,
    !
    !I think itís a good idea. Many questions are mutations of already asked
    !questions. If MS willing to participate in such an effort for newsgroup
    !FAQ (100% netiquette compatibility ;-) ), Iím willing to donate my time.
    !
    !Natty Gur, CTO
    !Dao2Com Ltd.
    !34th Elkalay st. Raanana
    !Israel , 43000
    !Phone Numbers:
    !Office: +972-(0)9-7740261
    !Fax: +972-(0)9-7740261
    !Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377
    !
    !
    !*** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***
    !Don't just participate in USENET...get rewarded for it!
    !

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT] Guest