Professional Web Applications Themes

Is RH 9 on tilt??? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I've been though three redhat 9 setups today that evidently just went south. First one, no basic Linux tools were installed (MAN, LINUXCONF, etc) but *everything else* was... games, all window managers, everything but what I'd expect to be there. I used "select packages" and deselected for a lean install... NOT!! Next time around, something was definitely whacked. No settings would hold, as if the partitions were secretly mounted in RO mode. Again, no basic command-prompt tools available. Wiped again. Thought I'd be a fool and try just *once* more... BIG MISTAKE!!! I *specifically* told it to leave my vfat ...

  1. #1

    Default Is RH 9 on tilt???

    I've been though three redhat 9 setups today that evidently just went
    south.

    First one, no basic Linux tools were installed (MAN, LINUXCONF, etc) but
    *everything else* was... games, all window managers, everything but what
    I'd expect to be there. I used "select packages" and deselected for a
    lean install... NOT!!

    Next time around, something was definitely whacked. No settings would
    hold, as if the partitions were secretly mounted in RO mode. Again, no
    basic command-prompt tools available. Wiped again.

    Thought I'd be a fool and try just *once* more... BIG MISTAKE!!! I
    *specifically* told it to leave my vfat partitions alone, and it did the
    first two times. Well, I'm glad I had most of my files backed up from
    9/31, because the 23GB vfat partition was not only formatted, but
    formatted as *Journaled FS*... DUUUUHHHHH!?!?!??

    RRRRROOOOAAAARRRRR!!!! RRRROOOOWWFFFF!!!! *CRASH-BASH-SMASH*

    The Shrike CD's are now *journaled* too (to say the least!).

    So, I zipped over to LinuxISO... Glad I have 2Mb/s cable! I toasted me up
    a set of Mandrake 9.1 CD's and tried that, seeing that I never had any
    *major* problems with past Mandrake installs that a few RPM's wouldn't
    fix... the install went without a hitch. Did what I asked it to, set up
    what packages I specified... all settings stuck once I set up everything
    in root... Working just fine. Actually, I used to feel that MDK was kinda
    teh "winXP" of Linux distros, but I actually was quite impressed with MDK
    9.1. It almost was as easy as a Win32 install... come to think about
    it... actually it was easier than setting up Win2kServer...

    So what the heck is up with Shrike?? I've *never* seen anything like what
    happened with those ISO's. Not even in 12+ years of setting up Windows,
    OS/2 and nearly everything else. I'm pretty sure it's not hardware-
    related, or I'd think Mandrake would have choked, too. I got the ISO's
    from Red Hat's download section, so it's not like anyone ed them up
    or anything (at least to my knowledge... of course, that would be a
    Skript Kiddyz dream, wouldn't it... "D00Dz! I hx0red R3d Ht's
    I5O'z...")

    But whatever happened, it sure made for an extra-stressed out couple of
    days fighting with computers...
    Jay Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is RH 9 on tilt???

    Jay "Boogieman" Edwards <com> shaped electrons to say:
    <tale of woe snipped>

    I don't know what happened, but something went wrong. I've had no
    problems with multiple installations of RHL9 (20+) and even several of
    the new Fedora Beta (Severn 6+).

    If you didn't tell it to "use all partitions" on the automatic
    partitioning, it should not have played with your vfat/windows
    partitions. You're not trying to use a Dvorak keyboard by any chance?
    :-)

    Strange behaviour for sure. Did you verify the md5sums on download, or
    select to check the media at the front end of the install?

    --
    Gregory G. "Wolfe" Woodbury `-_-' Owner/Admin: wolves.durham.nc.us
    ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us U RHCT August 2003

  3. #3

    G. Wolfe Woodbury wrote:

    > <tale of woe snipped>
    >
    > I don't know what happened, but something went wrong. I've had no
    > problems with multiple installations of RHL9 (20+) and even several of
    > the new Fedora Beta (Severn 6+).[/ref]

    I've probably done several hundred RH 9 installs. I certainly haven't
    seen this problem. Jay, did you have unusual hardware of some sort?
    Promise IDE controllers on an ASUS motherboard, maybe?

    Nico Guest

  4. #4

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <net> wrote in

    To answer 2 posts in one swoop...

    >> <tale of woe snipped>
    >>
    >> I don't know what happened, but something went wrong. I've had no
    >> problems with multiple installations of RHL9 (20+) and even several
    >> of the new Fedora Beta (Severn 6+).[/ref]
    >
    > I've probably done several hundred RH 9 installs. I certainly haven't
    > seen this problem. Jay, did you have unusual hardware of some sort?
    > Promise IDE controllers on an ASUS motherboard, maybe?[/ref]

    Yes, I checked the media and it was fine.

    No odd hardware, just an old run of the mill p2-333 clone with fancyiest
    devices being a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP and a 16x DVD-rom... I installed RH7 on
    it before without incident. I'm completely at a loss as to what happened.

    Both machines are running great on Mandrake 9.1 though... I'll just leave
    well enough alone for once! :-)

    I guess I just gotta scratch my head and smile at the CD pieces in the
    basket on this one... :-)
    Jay Guest

  5. #5

    Jay "Boogieman" Edwards wrote:

    DVD-ROM? Hmmm.... IS the BIOS up-to-date? I've had a few fascinating
    moments with laptops when I needed to update the BIOS simply to install
    RedHat, I assume due to subtleties in BIOS/hardware drivers.

    Nico Guest

  6. #6

    > DVD-ROM? Hmmm.... IS the BIOS up-to-date? I've had a few fascinating
    > moments with laptops when I needed to update the BIOS simply to
    > install RedHat, I assume due to subtleties in BIOS/hardware drivers.[/ref]

    Honestly? I seriously doubt it... the machine is a frankenstien,
    basically built out of parts I culled from my upgrade bin...

    Shuttle AV61 Slot 1 mobo
    PII 333 CPU
    VIA Apollo chipset
    Voodoo3 3000 AGP 16MB
    296MB PC100 SDRAM
    30g Quantum Fireball 5400RPM HDD
    SBLive 5.1 Value
    SMC Smartcard PCI NIC
    16x Compaq DVD-ROM
    Generic floppy
    (It's a piece of crap, really, but adequate for an MP3 server)

    Could have been an unique IO problem from the RH9 bootkernel, I suppose.
    Seems like it would have just tanked into a kernel panic or something
    somewhere during the setup process if things were that y with the
    datastream.

    I'm thinking of yanking the DVD-ROM out of it, but then again...
    Who knows... I'm tossing around a lot of ideas ATM and I'm just learning
    as I go at his point.

    YET THE SAGA BROADENS AND CONTINUES.... :-)

    I've got another box here that doesn't seem to like *MDK9.1* at all. It's
    been working me over for 3 days with practically any Xserver crash there
    is:

    BCM IN620 Mobo
    Celeron 533 FPGA CPU
    512 MB PC100 SDRAM
    SiS 620 onboard AGP video, 8MB Shared
    AC97 onboard sound
    WD Caviar 4.3g & 2.1g 5400rpm IDE HDD's
    SMC/Realtek generic PCI NIC
    20x LG IDE CD-ROM
    Generic floppy

    I've tried reinstalling with several different vid cards (all PCI, no AGP
    slot). Didn't make any difference:

    S3 Trio64 2MB
    nVidia Vanta/TNT2 16MB
    Trident ???
    Diamond Stealth/S3 Trio32
    S3 Virge
    ATI Radeon 7000 64MB

    There seems to be MAJOR instability with XAuthorize that corrupts the
    passwords somehow. I can initially start an X session (as user) and go
    into IceWM and tweak it how I want it, then as soon as I log out, it
    won't let the user account start X back up again. I've been through:

    I've Googled for three days and tried everything I can possibly find on
    there to no avail.

    ....Final determination? Something's just *wasted*...

    OOOORRRRR....

    I've not installed gnome or KDE on this machine thus far, only IceWM. It
    just occurred to me that just *maybe* this problem is actually being
    caused not by XF86, but by IceWM. I wonder now just when was the last
    time IceWM has been updated! If it's a "dead" project that just gets
    thrown in the distros out of habit, then maybe the compiled binaries in
    the provided RPM are just incompatible enough with newer kernel/X
    versions to potentially cause all sorts of goofy problems... possibly
    even as extreme as this.

    Now I *really* wonder because I *did* have some similar problems with
    IceWM on that PII-333machine too, but I just rebooted, X started up and
    defaulted into KDE and I just left it that way and didn't think about it
    anymore until now. I can't really say for certain whether the kernel-WM-
    XF86 relationship could/would cause failures of this severity, but
    judging by things I've experienced with "DLL HELL" in Windows, it seems
    very possible.

    I guess I'll try another fresh install later with KDE instead of Ice and
    see how it works out. If it's still tripping out, I'll just SLAM RH7 or
    MDK8 on it, as they seemed to work pretty well on it.

    Here's an interesting question... on the 333 box with KDE, the monitor
    eventually blanks after prolonged inactivity. Normal enough, but it
    periodically turns the monitor back *on* after a while and displays the
    screensaver again!! The first time it did this, I was typing over here on
    the windows box and I saw it come back on. It kinda startled me and I
    went to check if maybe someone was portscanning it or something!

    Is some timer process running that relaunches the SS periodically to turn
    the monitor back on?

    Jay Guest