Professional Web Applications Themes

Is Rockit abandoned? - Ruby

Hello all, Looks like Rockit, the OO pr generator for Ruby, is abandoned. It doesn't work with its own examples: leikindpc324:~/rockit-0-3-8/examples/calculator$ ruby calculator.rb /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/rockit/rockit.rb:24:in `generate_pr': undefined local variable or method `rockit_grammars_pr' for P:Module (NameError) from calculator.rb:36:in `calculator_pr' from calculator.rb:52 And some others have had similar troubles: [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&inlang=ru&selm=3F30F549.6090601%40chadfowler.c om[/url] Anyone worked with Rockit recently? Best regards, Yuri Leikind...

  1. #1

    Default Is Rockit abandoned?

    Hello all,

    Looks like Rockit, the OO pr generator for Ruby, is abandoned.

    It doesn't work with its own examples:

    leikindpc324:~/rockit-0-3-8/examples/calculator$ ruby calculator.rb
    /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/rockit/rockit.rb:24:in
    `generate_pr': undefined local variable or method
    `rockit_grammars_pr' for P:Module (NameError)
    from calculator.rb:36:in `calculator_pr'
    from calculator.rb:52

    And some others have had similar troubles:

    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&inlang=ru&selm=3F30F549.6090601%40chadfowler.c om[/url]

    Anyone worked with Rockit recently?

    Best regards,
    Yuri Leikind
    Yuri Leikind Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Rockit abandoned?

    Yuri Leikind <leikindmova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42 +0900:
    > Hello all,

    Hi,
    > Looks like Rockit, the OO pr generator for Ruby, is abandoned.

    Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.

    Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,

    Robert Feldt

    Robert Feldt Guest

  3. #3

    On Tuesday, 23 September 2003 at 23:24:28 +0900, Robert Feldt wrote:
    > Yuri Leikind <leikindmova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42 +0900:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > > Looks like Rockit, the OO pr generator for Ruby, is abandoned.
    > >
    > Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    > Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    > with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
    Hmm, do I smell speed?

    --
    Jim Freeze
    ----------

    Jim Freeze Guest

  4. #4

    On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Robert Feldt wrote:
    > Yuri Leikind <leikindmova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42
    > +0900:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    > Hi,
    >
    >> Looks like Rockit, the OO pr generator for Ruby, is abandoned.
    >>
    > Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    > Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    > with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
    When you do this...will we be able to build a Ruby pr with it :-)

    > Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,
    Your creativity is worth the wait!

    Thank you for putting time back into this.

    > Robert Feldt

    Richard Kilmer Guest

  5. #5

    And please, please, please add a tutorial for pr generator dummies, like
    me. :)

    Regards,

    Dan

    Berger, Daniel Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Richard Kilmer wrote:

    #
    # On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 10:24 AM, Robert Feldt wrote:
    #
    #
    # Your creativity is worth the wait!
    #
    # Thank you for putting time back into this.
    #

    I have to agree with Rich on this. I've been a big fan of rockit since
    you released it and have been disappointed not to see it move forward.
    Definitely looking forward to the new and improved version.

    Chad

    Chad Fowler Guest

  7. #7

    Does / will Rockit support scannerless parsing? i.e. allow me to combine 2
    separate grammars (e.g. Cobol and SQL) and not have a lexer that imposes
    Cobol keywords as restricted words in the SQL sub-expressions?

    Thanks ...

    "Robert Feldt" <feldtce.chalmers.se> wrote in message
    > Yuri Leikind <leikindmova.org> skrev den Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:33:42 +0900:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > Hi,
    >
    > > Looks like Rockit, the OO pr generator for Ruby, is abandoned.
    > >
    > Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    > Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    > with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
    >
    > Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,
    >
    > Robert Feldt

    Its Me Guest

  8. #8

    Richard Kilmer <richinfoether.com> skrev den Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:26:17 +0900:
    >> Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    >> Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    >> with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
    >
    > When you do this...will we be able to build a Ruby pr with it :-)

    That sure is one of my goals. I'm not promising anything since
    the Ruby grammar is a hairy one and I've been deep into it
    before without getting out... ;)

    And Rich, lexeme positioning will be in there
    as per your requests... :)
    >> Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,
    >
    > Your creativity is worth the wait!
    >
    > Thank you for putting time back into this.

    Thanks for the support guys, I really have incentive
    to make this happen now.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Robert Feldt Guest

  9. #9

    Jim Freeze <jimfreeze.org> skrev den Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:03:26 +0900:
    >> Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    >> Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    >> with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
    >
    > Hmm, do I smell speed?

    Its not top prio but parsing is one of these things
    were speed really can matter so yes, I think it will have
    enough of it to be generally useful.

    My goal now is to generate a Ruby C extension that gives
    a pr. I think for many uses this will be good enough.
    Long-term, yes, a pure-Ruby solution as an option would
    be good (especially to experiment with intelligent
    error reporting which is much harder in C) but don't
    expect it anytime soon.

    Regards,

    Robert

    Robert Feldt Guest

  10. #10

    In article <oprvyxretfoglyupmail1.telia.com>,
    Robert Feldt <feldtce.chalmers.se> wrote:
    >Richard Kilmer <richinfoether.com> skrev den Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:26:17 +0900:
    >
    >>> Its been abandoned for some 2 years but I'm now working on it again.
    >>> Instead of fixing the old version I've decided to do a new one
    >>> with a C backend. Expect release in 3 weeks.
    >>
    >> When you do this...will we be able to build a Ruby pr with it :-)
    >>
    >That sure is one of my goals. I'm not promising anything since
    >the Ruby grammar is a hairy one and I've been deep into it
    >before without getting out... ;)
    >
    >And Rich, lexeme positioning will be in there
    >as per your requests... :)
    >
    >>> Sorry for the bad support these 2 years,
    >>
    >> Your creativity is worth the wait!
    >>
    >> Thank you for putting time back into this.
    >>
    >Thanks for the support guys, I really have incentive
    >to make this happen now.

    Yes, we're watching ;-)

    Looking forward to it.

    Phil
    Phil Tomson Guest

  11. #11

    Berger, Daniel <djbergeqwest.com> skrev den Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:39:46 +0900:
    > And please, please, please add a tutorial for pr generator dummies, like
    > me. :)

    Its like regexps but more powerful. How hard can it be? :)

    Seriously, regexps really are pr generators that are integrated
    into the language. The languages you can p with them are
    somewhat restricted but more importantly they are kind of
    hard to use when you need to p larger, more complex languages with lots of different cases. Pr generators tries to address that situation. So its regexps-on-steriods or something like that.

    We'll see about a tutorial but I can promise lots of examples.
    Learning-by-example is supposed to be good so... ;)

    Regards,

    Robert

    Robert Feldt Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Berger, Daniel Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    > I guess what I'm looking for is something like:
    >
    > * here is a source file we must p where regular expressions would be
    > too big a pain (or impossible)
    > * here is a grammar
    > * here is a pr
    > * here's how it all works together

    Would examples like this be helpful:

    # Rockit Tutorial example number X
    #
    # NOTE that the API and behavior below is not fixed but the current
    # design/view of how Rockit 0.6 will work.
    #

    # We want to p brace-delimited balanced string literals like:

    input_example = "%{1{2}3}"

    # which should return the pd string "1{2}3".
    # This is hard to do with regexps (although I'm sure there is some
    # special notation added that makes it possible!).

    # In Rockit we can write a grammar for this like:

    require 'rockit'

    g = <<EOG
    StringLiteral -> '%{' CurlyInner '}'. StringLiteral[inner]
    CurlyInner = Balanced*
    Balanced = '{' Balanced* '}'
    | /[^{}]/
    EOG

    grammar = Rockit::Grammar.new g

    # generate a pr class from the grammar
    pr_class = grammar.generate_pr_class

    # instantiate a pr
    pr = pr_class.new

    # then p
    p pr.p(input_example) # => StringLiteral['1{2}3']

    # Note that Rockit by default builds an Abstract Syntax Tree (AST)
    # for you by creating and calling an AstBuilder. If you want to # change how the AST is built or even not build an AST you can define
    # your own builder:

    class MyBuilder < pr_class.default_builder_class
    # Name of method is lower_case version of the AST name specified
    # in the grammar above.
    def string_literal(inner)
    inner
    end
    end

    # now specify that your builder should be used by a pr
    pr2 = pr_class.new MyBuilder.new

    p pr2.p(input_example) # => '1{2}3'

    ?

    /Robert