Professional Web Applications Themes

is Ruby the right language for these projects? - Ruby

Please forgive my self-centered question. I've been learning all about Ruby for the past month, but had one main question on my mind, that I don't know how else to answer. So I have to ask the experts on the list.... I have two pretty-big programming projects coming up that I'm in complete control of. I can decide the language, requirements, and everything. I'm not a "real" programmer that went to college for this or has years of C. I'm just a person that learned HTML then PHP then had my PHP projects grow to the point where I realized ...

  1. #1

    Default is Ruby the right language for these projects?

    Please forgive my self-centered question. I've been learning all about Ruby
    for the past month, but had one main question on my mind, that I don't know
    how else to answer. So I have to ask the experts on the list....

    I have two pretty-big programming projects coming up that I'm in complete
    control of. I can decide the language, requirements, and everything.

    I'm not a "real" programmer that went to college for this or has years of C.
    I'm just a person that learned HTML then PHP then had my PHP projects grow to
    the point where I realized I needed the benefits of OOP.

    I just finally really understood OOP only a month ago. It took a few books,
    but I really "get" it now, and love it.

    I started learning Ruby then, as a way to force myself into OOP style, instead
    of sticking with PHP and accidently slipping back into procedural style.
    (What better way to learn object-thinking than with a language that is ALL
    objects?)

    So now it's time to start my two big projects:

    #1 - a web-store. (http://www.cdbaby.com - It's pretty popular. A lot of
    traffic.) Right now the code is 5 years of spaghetti, started when I only
    knew HTML and slowly built with PHP as I was learning it. It's such a mess
    that it needs a total overhaul, which I'm really excited about.

    It's not your usual embedded-bits-in-HTML, it's fully 100% PHP-driven now,
    with all HTML being pulled from templates dynamically merging with MySQL
    data.

    I'm ready to re-do it from scratch, using whatever language and tools are
    best.

    #2 - a standalone app for downloading and converting-or-burning hifi audio
    files (like WAV). A little free GUI program that would have to run on
    Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, using each OS's native GUI look & feel.

    Neither project is any big rush. The DOING & LEARNING is more of the point
    than the end-product. (That's why I don't just hire an expert. I like to
    learn for myself.)

    I *like* Ruby. I don't mind that it's not so popular. I don't need to
    impress any boss or investors. I'd *like* to use it for both of these
    projects...

    ... but I can't tell if I would be making a big mistake, in the end.

    Though I want to learn and use Ruby for these, I shouldn't do it if the
    end-result will not also be the best.

    SO:

    Should I stick with PHP for the web-store, but rewrite it with an OOP style?
    Should I hire someone that knows C or Python for the standalone audio app?

    What do you guys think?

    Any opinions appreciated.

    Ruby Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: is Ruby the right language for these projects?

    il Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:53:54 +0900, Ruby Baby <com> ha
    scritto::

    mod_ruby is quite fast, and many people said that ruby+fastcgi is
    awesome. You mai like to look at eruby, amrita and cgikit, they're
    incredibly powerful for web dev, imho

    You could use Tk (that may fit your needs, cause you don't need
    something too fancy) or wait for wxruby to become more mature. I don't
    think there are other choiches available ATM that would give you
    native L&F.

    (Well, you may even write a common GUI class and redefine it on any
    platform using native widgets..)

    gabriele Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Ruby Baby <com> wrote:

    I'll leave this one to others to answer - web programming isn't my area of
    expertise.

    (BTW: I just heard about cdbaby a few weeks ago - cool site :)

    Why not? Seems like a good Ruby project. The main problem is to choose a
    GUI toolkit that will work on all three. It sounds like wxRuby (wxWindows
    GUI toolkit) would be the one to use in this case: it runs on all three
    platforms and uses native widgets (as I recall). Note: wxRuby's still a
    bit young, but it's probably usable at this point and it's being actively
    developed.

    Regarding the audio app: Initially you said there is no rush for this, but
    you're considering hiring someone. Is this going to be a commercial app?

    If there's no big rush, I think wxRuby would fit the bill for you (see:
    http://rubyforge.org/projects/wxruby/ ). I qualify the statement because
    the wxWindows bindings for Ruby are still young, so you may need to work
    with the project leaders to help iron out any problems you (might) find.
    But like I said above, wxRuby is an active project and they seem to be
    pretty motivated.

    Phil
    Phil Guest

  4. #4

    In article <com>,
    Ruby Baby <com> wrote:
    : Should I stick with PHP for the web-store, but rewrite it with an OOP style?
    : Should I hire someone that knows C or Python for the standalone audio app?
    :
    : What do you guys think?

    I'd say go with Ruby for both of 'em, but do the audio app first, to
    get you used to thinking in Ruby.

    One of the most powerful things about Ruby is that it makes it
    super-easy to do a quick prototype to see if an idea is going to
    work, and then fill in the details afterwards. You could
    certainly use that to great advantage in the web-store app.

    --Dave
    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>, gabriele renzi wrote:

    > You could use Tk (that may fit your needs, cause you don't need
    > something too fancy) or wait for wxruby to become more mature. I don't
    > think there are other choiches available ATM that would give you
    > native L&F.[/ref]

    Is there no QtRuby? A google search turns up
    http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdebindings/qtruby, but I don't
    know how complete it is.

    Joe
    Joe Guest

  6. #6

    "Phil Tomson" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    Is that really the main problem? What about doing the conversions and
    burning? If it's not done by some external command line tool that simply
    has to be controlled by the Ruby app, it's likely that you have to develop a
    C extension for the conversion / burning work to get the speed you need.
    Additionally burning is likely to be heavily platform dependend.

    Just my .02 Euro

    robert

    Robert Guest

  7. #7

    > What about doing the conversions and

    Sorry - to be clear:

    I'm not going to write Yet Another CD Burner.

    It's just going to download FLAC files (http://flac.sourceforge.net/)
    then let the user convert them into Ogg (http://www.vorbis.com/) or MP3 using
    the LAME mp3 converter (http://lame.sourceforge.net/).

    For burning, I'll probably just let the user select tracks then make an audio
    ISO image, for them to open in whatever CD burning app they want.

    Ruby Guest

  8. #8

    il Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:03:40 GMT, Joe Mason <ca> ha
    scritto::

    that should be part of KDE3.2 :)
    BTW I just forgot it..
    gabriele Guest

  9. #9

    "Ruby Baby" <com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:hitmedia.com... [/ref]
    simply [/ref]
    develop a

    > Sorry - to be clear:
    >
    > I'm not going to write Yet Another CD Burner.[/ref]

    Well, ok, that makes it simpler. Then ruby can surely do the job.

    Regards

    robert

    Robert Guest

  10. #10

    > So now it's time to start my two big projects:

    That sounds like what I'm coding in ruby with fastcgi right now. It's
    working great so far.

    I use Amrita as a template engine, a model-view-controller structured
    framework for the app, and mysql as a backend database, with a -very-
    light object-relational layer that I hacked together on top.

    Sounds like a job for wxRuby. API's a bit weird, but it works...

    Ari

    Aredridel Guest

  11. #11

    I don't know if Ruby would stand up to the performance but I _WISH_
    there were an implementation of Zope <http://zope.org> and Plone
    <http://plone.org/>

    That would make a splash, imho.

    paul Guest

  12. #12

    il Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:52:00 +0900, paul vudmaska <com>
    ha scritto::

    There is a ruby application server on rubyforge,cerise, that is under
    heavy development. It is based on webrick+amrita+soap4r and IIRC a db
    persistence layer. It may become something really impressive, if
    people start to use it and hack it :)

    It seem that there is even an application server written in ruby from
    a greek company, navel.gr . Looking at their website it seem really
    impressive, coupled with an OODBMS and many usual features like rss,
    authentication etc.. and I remember the 'opensource' concept someway
    related to this..
    gabriele Guest

  13. #13

    gabriele renzi <yahoo.it> wrote:

    Has anyone done performance tests on webrick vs apache+mod_ruby?

    martin
    Martin Guest

  14. #14

    This is a good question, but you are asking devotees so are guaranteed
    a bias in the answers.

    Having said that, I have been actively developing for the web with
    Ruby, mod_ruby, fastcgi and clearsilver (www.clearsilver.net). I do not
    dig the eRuby style; I try to keep my code far away from presentation.
    Clearsilver is a great templating system, although it takes a little
    while to figure out how to integrate it well. I have written some
    apache handlers with mod_ruby and they are super powerful.

    fastcgi with session affinity s away everything I have seen for
    maintaining state and in memory caches and works with lots of
    languages. It is fast, flexible and easy to debug when running the app
    as an external server.

    I used to do web with PHP and Java. Java is a pain in the for too
    many reasons to list. PHP is an annoyingly weak language (bogus OO,
    inconsistent interfaces) even if it does have all kinds of useful
    stuck to its carriage. I am converting a site from pure PHP to all Ruby
    (www.strandbooks.com).

    Ruby's cgi class (in 1.6 at least) has some shortcomings (e.g. URL
    variables are pd for GET and not POST), which I have fixed locally.

    Dan

    Dan Guest

  15. #15

    Dan Janowski wrote:

    Ooh, sweet. One of my most-favorite bookstores to be Ruby-powered.

    That site makes me miss my home town :(

    James

    jbritt@ruby-doc.org Guest

  16. #16

    --- "org" <org> wrote: > Dan Janowski
    wrote:

    > Ruby
    >

    > Ooh, sweet. One of my most-favorite bookstores to be Ruby-powered.
    >
    > That site makes me miss my home town :([/ref]

    awwww

    -- Thomas Adam

    =====
    "TAG Editor" -- http://linuxgazette.net