Professional Web Applications Themes

Is tehre a Color-It! for system X? - Mac Networking

Having upgraded to OS X10.3, I've not installed system 9. To my disappointment, there seems to be no version opf Color-It! that will run on X, and the telephone number for enquires has been disconnected. Does anyone know if there's a replacement sofwtare that might just be called something else, or a replacement that is as simple to use? (I don't want to hear about Photoshop thank you! I'm looking for something simple and cheesy.) Come to think of it, whatever happened to Color MacCheese? Kind regards, Devi Jankowicz...

  1. #1

    Default Is tehre a Color-It! for system X?

    Having upgraded to OS X10.3, I've not installed system 9. To my
    disappointment, there seems to be no version opf Color-It! that will run on
    X, and the telephone number for enquires has been disconnected.

    Does anyone know if there's a replacement sofwtare that might just be called
    something else, or a replacement that is as simple to use? (I don't want to
    hear about Photoshop thank you! I'm looking for something simple and cheesy.)

    Come to think of it, whatever happened to Color MacCheese?

    Kind regards,
    Devi Jankowicz

    Devi Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is tehre a Color-It! for system X?

    In article
    <cache.cable.ntlworld.com>, Devi
    Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    From MicroFrontier's web site:

    "February 1, 2004
    MicroFrontier Products and Mac OS X
    All MicroFrontier products work in Mac OS X (including 10.3.2),
    although they run in the Classic mode. An OS X-native version ofColor
    It! is in production (see below)."

    Not sure what a suitable replacement might be, but ColorIt does indeed
    work fine in Classic mode. I tried it; it works like a champ. I'd go
    ahead and install 9.2 and dive in if you want to still use ColorIt. As
    with most applications I've tried, it runs as well or better under
    Classic than it did under plain OS9.

    Hope that helps.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  3. #3

    On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 20:12:25 +0000, Garner Miller wrote
    (in message <030220041512255937%net>):

    <snip>

    Very much so. Now, how do I install OS9.2? I have my old Powerbook G4 OS 9.1/
    OS10.0.3 Software Restore CDs: do I install just the OS9.1 part off these and
    then look for a download of System 9.2 off the internet? And how do I make
    sure that installing System 9 doesn't wipe my whole hard disc of X10.3?

    More newbie questions. Before I upgraded to OSX10.3, the old OS9.1/10.0.3
    (itself upgraded to OSX10.2) retained system 9 under Classic emulation, as
    well as system 9.1 (upgraded to 9.2) in its own right.

    If I now install system 9.1 off my Restore CDs, will it 'show up' in system
    X10.3 under system 9 Classic emulation?

    So, basically. I have a good SystemX10.3 Panther system bought from Apple and
    clean-installed. Not a sign of any Classic emulation on the Panther install
    CDs. I also have some old system 9.1/10.0.3 discs. How to add System 9
    without destroying Panther, and will it then offer system 9 in an emulated,
    Classic format?

    Kind regards,
    Dev

    Devi Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <cache.cable.ntlworld.com>,
    Devi Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    Just install 9.1 from its install disk; it will not destroy Panther.
    Then download the OS 9.2.2 upgrade from Apple's web site, and install
    it. Then run software update (while booted from OS 9) until there's no
    updates remaining.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    In article
    <cache.cable.ntlworld.com>, Devi
    Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    A regular system install won't wipe your hard drive out (unless you
    erase the drive separately, which you won't do!), nor will it overwrite
    your 10.3 folder. OS9 and older have a "System Folder," while OSX uses
    a folder just called "System." So the OS9 installer won't know that
    OSX is even there.

    Your Software Restore CDs *will* overwrite the whole drive, I believe
    -- you want the system software *install* CD for this if you have one.
    (If not, you'll probably want to procure one, as you don't want to have
    to reinstall all your stuff.) That's the case with my iMac restore
    CDs, anyway; I assume your PowerBook is the same.

    Once 9.1 is installed, this download will get you to 9.2:

    And this one, to 9.2.2 (the latest OS9):

    Yes, it sure will. 9.1 should work, but I recommend bringing it up to
    9.2.2 from the links above.

    Correct. The current retail boxes of OSX don't include OS9 -- they
    (argh) sell it separately. But since you already have it, you should
    be OK.

    --
    Garner R. Miller
    Manchester, CT =USA=

  6. #6

    Garner Miller <net> wrote:

    > From MicroFrontier's web site:
    >
    > "February 1, 2004
    > MicroFrontier Products and Mac OS X
    > All MicroFrontier products work in Mac OS X (including 10.3.2),
    > although they run in the Classic mode. An OS X-native version ofColor
    > It! is in production (see below)."[/ref]

    You might also want to consider installing X11 and GIMP (best done using
    Fink). This works well IMHO, and offers most of the features of
    PhotoShop, but for free.

    Have a look around in the download sites too, there are quite a few
    share/freeware packages being offered now, all worth a try out.

    www.macupdate.com
    www.versiontracker.com

    Are good for starters.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3)

  7. #7

    In article <cache.cable.ntlworld.com>,
    Devi Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    I too have been waiting for an X version of Color-It. In the meantime, I've
    been using ArcSoft PhotoStudio, which was a free download for .Mac members.
    Though I feel the interface suffers a bit from "born on Windows" syndrome
    :-), it's a capable image editor, at least for my needs.

    FWIW...
    Stitch Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 2:32:06 +0000, Stitch wrote
    (in message <comcast.net>):

    > I too have been waiting for an X version of Color-It. In the meantime, I've
    > been using ArcSoft PhotoStudio, which was a free download for .Mac members.
    > Though I feel the interface suffers a bit from "born on Windows" syndrome
    >
    > FWIW...[/ref]

    A very big thanks to yourself and everyone else who responded.
    Kind regards,
    Devi

    Devi Guest

  9. #9

    In article <cache.cable.ntlworld.com>, Devi Jankowicz <com> wrote:

    After waiting years for an OSX native version of Color-It, I finally caved
    and bought Photoshop Elements 2. It may not might meet your "cheesy" requirement, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

    The biggest problem I've had with it is its tendency to want to create
    yet another layer at the drop of a hat. And the learning curve is a bit
    steeper than Color-It. But the amount of control and flexibility is
    quite nice.

    In terms of value, it's probably one of the best deals around in
    Mac commercial software. Cost me about $50 at Wal-Mart...

    I've been a fan of Color-It since version 1.0, but I think they've
    lost me for good.

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only