Professional Web Applications Themes

Is the 350D a 20D in a polycarb body ? - Photography

Like the 300D was a 10D in a polycarbontae body with certain functions disabled, is the 350D a 20D in a polycarb body with less functions (if any) disabled ? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Is the 350D a 20D in a polycarb body ?

    Like the 300D was a 10D in a polycarbontae body with certain functions
    disabled, is the 350D a 20D in a polycarb body with less functions (if any)
    disabled ?

    Thanks

    dylan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is the 350D a 20D in a polycarb body ?

    Wander over to DPReview.com and do a side by side comparison (under buying
    guide) to answer this question in the best way....

    When considering moving up to DSLR, I decided not to buy Canon simply
    because of what I considered a bit of heavy handed "handicaping" of the
    300... But when they released the 20D and I realised how nice a camera it
    is, I changed my mind at the last minute. (I was waiting for the Pentax DS
    to hit the stores)

    From what I can see, Nikon taught them not to be to obvious about depriving
    customers of functionality in the low end cameras. It looks like the only
    places where the 350D is inferior to the 20D are in places where the bits
    clearly cost less. (as opposed to arbitrary withholding of functions in
    firmware as they did before)

    If I was still making my decision today, I'd be forced to ask myself, "do I
    really need the extra FPS, the extra metering points, the slightly more
    accurate autofocus, the brighter viewfinder?" For the money, it's possible
    that I'd go with the new one.... but I do like my 20D!

    Al...

    "dylan" <com> wrote in message

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    In article <d1119f$afp$svr.pol.co.uk>, com says...

    There does (according to the spec sheet) seem to be a slight difference in
    sensor size, so it MAY be a totally different sensor.

    They both (Rebel xt & D20) have the digic II chip, so there probably isnt a
    huge difference in what the cameras a capable of.

    Once the 350 has been around for a while, and the hackers try to upgrade the
    firmware, we'll know more about it.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  4. #4

    "Alan Adrian" <wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

    Thanks Alan,

    I compared them on the UK Canon site and they look pretty similar on
    features, 20D better on some. I'd be interested to know how the results
    compare seeing they appear to use a different CMOS chip, maybe the 350D is
    better ?, certainly looks good value.

    Cheers

    dylan Guest

  5. #5

    dylan wrote:

    I don't think so. Canon didn't withhold any arbitrary features like in
    300D. The 350D has everything the hardware is capable of. It's very
    competitive which can steal many, many would-be 20D buyers if they don't
    mind a slower processor, pentamirror, a different sensor, or less
    "luxurious" construction.
    leo Guest

  6. #6

    I wonder if the 350D comes with the lockup problems, underexposure, and the
    banding issues.

    "leo" <net> wrote in message

    > I don't think so. Canon didn't withhold any arbitrary features like in
    > 300D. The 350D has everything the hardware is capable of. It's very
    > competitive which can steal many, many would-be 20D buyers if they don't
    > mind a slower processor, pentamirror, a different sensor, or less
    > "luxurious" construction.[/ref]

    Charle Guest

  7. #7

    Charle wrote:

    >>I don't think so. Canon didn't withhold any arbitrary features like in
    >>300D. The 350D has everything the hardware is capable of. It's very
    >>competitive which can steal many, many would-be 20D buyers if they don't
    >>mind a slower processor, pentamirror, a different sensor, or less
    >>"luxurious" construction.[/ref][/ref]

    You seem to be jealous that you can't afford the lovely 20D! ;)
    leo Guest

  8. #8

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:36:06 GMT, leo <net> wrote:

    Is there a slower precessor in 350D? I was under the impression that
    there was the same DICIC II processo rin both cameras.

    Jan Böhme
    Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
    Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.
    Jan Guest

  9. #9

    Jan Böhme wrote:

    > Is there a slower precessor in 350D? I was under the impression that
    > there was the same DICIC II processo rin both cameras.
    >
    > Jan Böhme
    > Korrekta personuppgifter är att betrakta som journalistik.
    > Felaktigheter utgör naturligtvis skönlitteratur.[/ref]

    Not necessary. The ELPH has the same DIGIC II processor but I doubt they
    are as fast as the DSLR versions. Is the mirror box construction on the
    350D same as 20D?
    leo Guest

  10. #10

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:45:32 GMT, leo <net> wrote:

    No: the 350D has a pentamirror while the 20D has a pentaprism.

    --
    Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
    --Josh Micah Marshall

  11. #11

    Ben Rosengart wrote:

    > No: the 350D has a pentamirror while the 20D has a pentaprism.[/ref]

    You're refering to the viewfinder. I mean the mechanism that flips the
    mirror up when you push the shutter. it might not be strong enough to
    handle 5fps.
    leo Guest

  12. #12

    On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 20:04:24 GMT, leo <net> wrote:

    >> No: the 350D has a pentamirror while the 20D has a pentaprism.[/ref]
    >
    > You're refering to the viewfinder. I mean the mechanism that flips the
    > mirror up when you push the shutter.[/ref]

    Duh, I'm sorry.

    Dpreview.com says 2.8 fps. Are you suggesting that the limiting
    factor might be the mirror assembly rather than the processor? Hmm
    .... the 350D's max shutter speed is 1/4000s to the 20D's 1/8000s.

  13. #13

    Ben Rosengart wrote:

    >>You're refering to the viewfinder. I mean the mechanism that flips the
    >>mirror up when you push the shutter.[/ref]
    >

    > Duh, I'm sorry.
    >

    > Dpreview.com says 2.8 fps. Are you suggesting that the limiting
    > factor might be the mirror assembly rather than the processor? Hmm
    > ... the 350D's max shutter speed is 1/4000s to the 20D's 1/8000s.[/ref]

    Actually, I think all the components are chosen for the specification
    they designed, including the processor. The DIGIC II in 20D is abviously
    not the same as one used in 1DsMKII. Likewise, there are many versions
    of Athlon64.
    leo Guest

  14. #14

    Ben Rosengart wrote:

    >>You're refering to the viewfinder. I mean the mechanism that flips the
    >>mirror up when you push the shutter.[/ref]
    >

    > Duh, I'm sorry.
    >

    > Dpreview.com says 2.8 fps. Are you suggesting that the limiting
    > factor might be the mirror assembly rather than the processor? Hmm
    > ... the 350D's max shutter speed is 1/4000s to the 20D's 1/8000s.[/ref]

    The mirror assembly has nothing to do with shutter speed. Most likely,
    the shutter is the same, just slowed down in firmware.

    The mirror could contribute to shutter lag (if different and slower that
    the 20D's).

    It's possible that the frame rate is showed down in firmware.

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Guest

  15. #15

    "leo" <net> wrote in message
    news:9CZYd.8126$news.pas.earthlink.net... [/ref]

    Well, he might be jealous but he does have a point about lockups. I have
    had 5 lockups with my new 20D and 100-400 IS lens.

    Charles Guest

  16. #16

    In message <com>,
    "Charles Schuler" <net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    >Well, he might be jealous but he does have a point about lockups. I have
    >had 5 lockups with my new 20D and 100-400 IS lens.[/ref]

    Was it always with the same battery? I had my first 20D/100-400 lockups
    recently, but they were all with the same old battery (which lost its
    charge fairly quickly. It has only occured during one use of a specific
    battery (about 4x, before I swapped the battery). After I replaced the
    battery, it never happened again.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <komm>

  17. #17

    350D is a stripped down version of 20D.
    See this: http://www.bobatkins.com/photograph..._xt_vs_20d.html

    "dylan" <com> wrote in message
    any)

    Rickard Guest

  18. #18

    Default new link only

    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/eos_digital_rebel_xt_vs_20d.html

    Rickard Guest

  19. #19

    Rickard Andersson wrote:

    The 20D has a different sensor. They are different cameras.

    Alan Guest

  20. #20

    > The 20D has a different sensor. They are different cameras.

    Of course they are different cameras. But it's not much that is different
    except that much is less in 350D. Like 7 AF point instead of 9 in 20D, 5fps
    instead of 3 etc etc...

    It's all written so nice if you just read the link I posted.

    PS.
    Well, I could have been unclear of what I said, Read "stripped down version"
    as "slim version" instead.

    Rickard Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast