Professional Web Applications Themes

Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with? - Photography

Ladies and Gents, I find myself taking tons of pictures whenever I go away. I am fascinated with taking pictures the one problem is that it has been mostly with a point and shoot. I live in the nyc area and I'm looking to finally take a beginners course on photography. Currently I have a Canon c3030 and although it has some manual features I thought that I should get myself a more advance camera. Reading all the posts on the Canon EOS1ds I can't help but drool. after about 30 minutes or so I come back to reality and ...

  1. #1

    Default Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?

    Ladies and Gents,

    I find myself taking tons of pictures whenever I go away.
    I am fascinated with taking pictures the one problem is that it has been
    mostly with a point and shoot.
    I live in the nyc area and I'm looking to finally take a beginners course on
    photography.

    Currently I have a Canon c3030 and although it has some manual features I
    thought
    that I should get myself a more advance camera.
    Reading all the posts on the Canon EOS1ds I can't help but drool.
    after about 30 minutes or so I come back to reality and I say to myself hey
    you beginner stop dreaming.
    Once I wake up and come to my senses and I think that I should by the EOS
    10D.
    By the time I get myself familiarized with the all the features and with the
    technique that it is required to take great pictures
    I will have bought myself a few lenses. I can then upgrade to a more advance
    camera ( 1ds ) by then it might be down to $2K :-).

    In any case my question is:
    Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?
    Should I start with something bigger or smaller?
    Any good recomendation on where I can take some classes in nyc?
    Thank for taking the time to read this lengthy post.
    And thanks for all your input.
    --
    Please reply to the group.
    <>>< ><<> >

    Rob Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?

    Rob wrote:

    Sure.. It's a 6mp SLR and as such has fast autofocus and pretty noise free
    ISO's up to 800. I don't know what you mean by 'start with'. There aren't a
    lot of SLR's out there.

    Expect to pay the standard $1400 for the camera. Don't forget that the 10D
    comes without a lens or flash card.

    If you want quality photos, and a versatile range of focal lengths, expect to
    pay at least as much as the you did for the camera in lenses.. So budget at
    least $2000.00 to get started. Canon 'L' glass will take you over $4000.00

    Don't just slap on a cheapie lens. (Lenses DO make a noticeable difference on
    the 10D).

    Jim Guest

  3. #3

    Ladies and Gents,

    I find myself taking tons of pictures whenever I go away.
    I am fascinated with taking pictures the one problem is that it has been
    mostly with a point and shoot.
    I live in the nyc area and I'm looking to finally take a beginners course on
    photography.

    Currently I have a Olympus c3030 and although it has some manual features I

  4. #4

    In article <supernews.com>, Gary R. wrote:

    ....and people that do have a lot more expertise are making out grandly
    from this, since it drives the prices down for them by making it into
    more of a mass market consumer item.
    Marc Guest

  5. #5

    Rob,

    In article <DClVa.1655$nyc.rr.com>, "Rob"
    <rr.com> writes:

    Yes. You need an SLR and the Canon 10D is the cheapest Digital SLR. and VERY
    reliable and swift. Starting out with a point and shoot digital doesnt mean U
    will know how to use better a DSLR. The other Canon digital SLR is too
    expencive and wont make u a better photographer, only be able to make bigger
    prints.

    The 10D is the right size if u have enough money for it and a good lens. If u
    want sharp and good pictures you have a choice of a few very good lenses one
    better than the other. Canon 17-40. or not so wide but VERY good ones: 28-105,
    28-135 Image Stabilizer, or 28-70L which is the one of the highest zoom lenses
    for the Canon camera system. And a must is the Canon 550EX Flash. This flash
    will make a huge difference unless you shoot natural light only.

    Its not worth starting with a point and shoot that most have shutter lag...
    Start with the good setup and improve yourself while using good glass and a
    super good camera.

    Cheeers,
    Sussan
    You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
    this posted message.

    S Guest