Professional Web Applications Themes

Is there a bandwidth meter for user's own Mac? - Mac Applications & Software

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, George Nospam wrote:   I seem to remember an application called ridge. you could also add a firewall rule that matched incoming packets and use 'ipfw show' to see how many packets and their total size had matched. Fred...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Is there a bandwidth meter for user's own Mac?

    On Wed, 20 Aug 2003, George Nospam wrote:

    I seem to remember an application called ridge. you could also add a
    firewall rule that matched incoming packets and use 'ipfw show' to see how
    many packets and their total size had matched.

    Fred

    Frederick Guest

  2. #2

    George Nospam wrote:

    I'll see if I can locate the software.
    What is their limit per month?
    Have they informed you personally, or is it just a blanket
    warning for all subscribers?

    The reason I ask is that I don't know how they can measure
    the traffic beyond the gateway or DHCP server for your
    IP block, which would have 50-100 users on it. So they
    would have to meter all of them as a lump sum AFAIK.
    George Guest

  3. #3

    In article <ipbbc.net>,
    George Nospam <net> wrote:

    Huh. If comcast is now doing this, then I am done with Comcast. Do they
    tell you what the limit is? Per month, week, day, what?

    I belive IPNetMonitor might do what you want. Not free, but a good
    utility.

    Charles Guest

  4. #4

    IPNetMonitor is close; www.sustworks.com

    --dan

    Dan Guest

  5. #5

    In article <newsfeeds.com>,
    Charles Bouldin <net> wrote:

    They told me that they sent the warning letter to people whose total
    bandwidth consumption during July was over 150 GB. That's quite a lot,
    you'd think I could fit inside of that, despite running constant
    streaming video or audio on my Mac, plus keeping a constant Timbuktu
    connection to an active office Mac, plus lots of downloading, plus 4
    active users in the house sharing the connection.

    This doesn't mean that they think 150 GB is reasonable, and I wouldn't
    be surprised if that number went down in the future. I queried via email
    and got a canned response (from a real person, but obviously a form
    email reply) summarizing their policies (except that at that point they
    still weren't willing to reveal the "limitation" they were starting to
    enforce in July. I'll paste it in below.

    I'm not totally opposed to some limitation, since cable bandwidth is
    shared. When my house is using lots of bandwidth, that leaves less for
    my neighbors. But they damn well ought to publicize the limits, and make
    it possible for users to monitor their usage.

    Finally, for myself I went ahead and upgraded to Comcast Pro, at
    $95/month. According to someone in their abuse dept., this doubles the
    limit while doubling approximate potential downstream speed. Aside from
    this, there were two palpable advantages. First, it ups the cap on
    upstream bandwidth to 384 kbps, from 128, which was a strain for me (I
    upload large graphics files to my office frequently when working at
    home). Second, it gives 5 separate "persistent" IP numbers, which means
    that I will more easily be able to reach my home computer from my
    office. Previously, with a router, I had a hard time doing this. I
    decided these two features, plus the enhanced speed and limitations,
    were worth it for me.

    Two people suggested this; I will check it out pronto.

    Thanks for the suggestions and comments.

    George Fowler

    Here's the initial response from Comcast:

    Dear Mr. Fowler,

    Thank you for your message concerning the Comcast High-Speed Internet
    service.

    Comcast Network Policy Management will be receiving weekly reports on
    customers who are consuming unusually high levels of bandwidth.

    Steps for dealing with Bandwidth violations:

    1. If a customer is found to be in violation, the first time, we send
    the customer an email/hard copy warning and attempt to contact them by
    phone. When the Policy Management group speaks to the subscriber, they
    will explain the nature of the violation and refer customer to
    commercial service if appropriate.

    2. If a customer shows up on report the following week or subsequently,
    we will suspend and warn user following suspend procedure.

    3. If a customer shows up on report 3rd time, we will follow termination
    procedure.

    4. If initial investigation shows illegal activity (software or sound
    file piracy), Policy Management will proceed directly to suspend and
    warn step.

    For more information on the use of the features of the Comcast
    High-Speed Internet service, please visit our Help section at:

    http://online.comcast.net/help/

    If these solutions do not correct the problem, or if you would like a
    walkthrough on the steps described above, please contact a support
    representative at 1-800-COMCAST.

    If there is anything else we can help you with, please contact us.
    Thank you for choosing Comcast.

    Sincerely,

    Shaun
    Comcast Customer Care

    George Guest

  6. #6

    In article
    <ipbbc.net>,
    George Nospam <net> wrote:

    *
    I use the following for quick bandwidth measurements:

    http://www.2wire.com/

    Click on "Bandwidth Meter"

    http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/

    http://speedtest.dewa.com/

    http://www.biz.net.id/support/bandwidth_meter.asp

    http://www.dslreports.com/stest

    This one give you both download and upload speeds.

    http://sfo.speakeasy.net/

    For a continuous background monitor, I use:

    IPNetMonitor from:

    http://www.sustworks.com/site/sup.html

    Which gives you a running average in KBps for both
    received and sent bits.

    Good luck!

    earle
    *
    Earle Guest

  7. #7

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Earle Jones <net> wrote:

    > *
    > I use the following for quick bandwidth measurements:
    >
    > http://www.2wire.com/
    >
    > Click on "Bandwidth Meter"
    >
    > http://webservices.cnet.com/bandwidth/
    >
    > http://speedtest.dewa.com/
    >
    > http://www.biz.net.id/support/bandwidth_meter.asp
    >
    > http://www.dslreports.com/stest
    >
    > This one give you both download and upload speeds.
    >
    > http://sfo.speakeasy.net/
    >
    > For a continuous background monitor, I use:
    >
    > IPNetMonitor from:
    >
    > http://www.sustworks.com/site/sup.html
    >
    > Which gives you a running average in KBps for both
    > received and sent bits.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > earle
    > *[/ref]

    NetBarrier X 3 (commercial software) (according to its manual available
    www.intego.com) has an option to monitor IP Traffic:
    "Netbarrier has setting to monitor amount of data entering or leaving
    your computer. THis can be useful if you have an internet account with
    uploading or downloading restrictions. If you select this option,
    NetBarrier X 3 displays a warning when your traffic exceeds the amount
    you have selected. You can choose to have a warning for Incoming,
    Outgoing, or Total Traffic in KB, MB or GB."

    That's straight from their manual. I don't know if it just means a one
    session numbering, just instantaneous averaging numbers of sent &
    received, or aculating running totals, or what. Sounds like running
    totals from its description.

    I don't know if this is what you are looking for.

    NetBarrier is actually a software firewall with many controls and
    settings if you have need of that sort of thing.

    Morenuf
    morenuf Guest

  8. #8

    Question along this line:
    I'd like to measure my maximum throughput between two Macs connected by
    a cable router--to see if I'm getting speeds like I would with a 10Mbps
    hub, or a 100Mbps one (i.e., when copying between Macs). Any such
    utility?

    please mail OT responses only
    Scott Guest