Professional Web Applications Themes

Is there an app like iphotos for Mac OS classic? - Mac Applications & Software

I use graphic converter. But i miss the possibility to organize my photos: I would like to be able to make some kind of "playlists" of pictures... such as Slideshow for my mum, slideshow for my friend, etc... without having to copy photos in different folders. I think iphotos does that but for some reasons i don't want to go for osX and it doesn't seem to exist for Classic... Thanx for your help. Stéphane...

  1. #1

    Default Is there an app like iphotos for Mac OS classic?

    I use graphic converter. But i miss the possibility to organize my
    photos:
    I would like to be able to make some kind of "playlists" of
    pictures... such as Slideshow for my mum, slideshow for my friend,
    etc... without having to copy photos in different folders. I think
    iphotos does that but for some reasons i don't want to go for osX and
    it doesn't seem to exist for Classic...
    Thanx for your help.
    Stéphane
    stef Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is there an app like iphotos for Mac OS classic?

    In article <google.com>, stef
    <fr> wrote:

    You can do slide shows in Graphic Converter, which is an excellent and
    very popular shareware product. If you want one slide show for your
    mum and another for a driend, and, if there is some overlap between the
    two, you will have to have a copy of the overlap photos in each slide
    show folder. This is the way it works in iPhoto, too.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>, stef
    <fr> wrote:

    Oops - my apologies - I totally missed the first line of your post. I
    don't think you can beat GC for the price.

    Some cameras come with photo organizing software, but the two that came
    with two cameras I had were not as good as GC.

    Cathy

  4. #4

    In article <google.com>,
    fr (stef) wrote:

    iView Media or iView Media Pro.
    Pete Guest

  5. #5

    Cathy Stevenson <net> writes:

    Will it work if you put all your originals in one place and make
    aliasses in the slide-show folders?

    iPhoto does something similar. It keeps the photos in one directory
    tree (the folders that organize the images by date) and creates UNIX
    symbolic links in the folders that correspond to the albums. (This
    is probably why they never tried to make a Classic version - the
    Classic API can't create symlinks).

    If aliasses don't work, you could try making symlinks, but you can't
    do that from the Finder.

    -- David
    David Guest

  6. #6

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:
    [snip]

    Hi David,

    Sorry for this question, but what's the difference between aliasses and
    sylinks? And are the windows "shortcuts" more like aliasses or symlinks?
    Thanks.
    --
    chibitul
    P.S. reading some unix books is next on my DoTo list, but always other

  7. #7

    chibitul <com> writes:

    A symlink (short for "symbolic link") is a special kind of UNIX file
    that points to another file. Most actions taken on a symlink
    actually act on the file it points to. This is implemented down at
    the filesystem level, so the behavior is automatic. Any application
    trying to open a symlink (e.g. using the standard-C fopen() call)
    will actually open the file it points to.

    Symlinks may be created using the "ln -s" command at a shell prompt.
    There are also UNIX APIs for creating them.

    A MacOS alias is a very similar concept. It is also a special kind of
    file that points to another file. It is not, however, implemented at
    the filesystem level, so apps that try to open the alias will get the
    alias itself and not the file it points to. For example, if you go to
    a terminal window and try to "cat" the contents of an alias, you will
    not get the contents of the file it points to. (You'll probably get
    nothing, because an alias's data is stored in the resource fork, not
    the data fork.)

    The Finder will follow aliasses when you try to open them with the
    GUI. I think Mac apps automatically follow aliasses as a part of the
    normal file-open dialog processing, so it doesn't cause issues for
    users opening their own doent files, but the standard C fopen()
    call (and possibly other calls) will open the alias file and not the
    file it points to. I'm pretty certain that there are alternate
    file-opening calls that will follow the alias, but I'm not certain of
    that.

    Aliasses are created from the Finder using the File->Make Alias
    command from the menubar or by dragging an icon while holding
    CMD-Option down.

    Windows shortcuts are similar to aliasses. They are also files that
    refer to other files. They are typically files with a .LNK or a .PIF
    extension. (PIF files point to DOS programs and contain parameters
    for the DOS emulator that must be started in order to run them.)
    Like aliases, applications that try to open them get the shortcut
    contents and not the file it is pointed to (try to "type" a shortcut
    from a DOS prompt.)

    Like Mac aliases, the desktop will follow shortcuts when you try to
    open them. It also follows them in the standard file dialogs. Also
    like aliasses, applications that use fopen() to open a shortcut will
    get the shortcut file, not the file it points to. I'm pretty sure
    that there are alternate APIs for opening files that will follow
    shortcuts.

    Shortcuts are created by choosing "File->Create Shortcut" from the
    menubar or by dragging an icon while holding Ctrl-Shift down (and
    then selecting "Create Shortcut(s) Here" from the resulting popup
    menu.)

    (Can any developers confirm the parts that I'm "pretty certain" of
    regarding aliasses and shortcuts?)

    -- David
    David Guest

  8. #8

    wrote:

    > A symlink (short for "symbolic link") is a special kind of UNIX file
    > that points to another file. Most actions taken on a symlink[/ref]
    [snip]

    Wow, more than I had hoped for. Very interesting and well explained.
    Thanks!
    chibitul Guest

  9. #9

    Thank you!
    i tried iView Media Pro and i think that´s the app i was looking for.
    Very easy to select and organize different slideshows (using
    conveniant thumbn. drag and drop) without having to build different
    folders.
    stef Guest

  10. #10

    In article <google.com>,
    fr (stef) wrote:

    Glad to be one of the posters (not the first one) who recommended this.

    I'd like to see a good program like iView stay around, be successful,
    and continue in existence -- something that doesn't always happen, even
    with good programs -- which is why I put in a good word for it whenever
    a valid opportunity occurs.
    AES/newspost Guest