Professional Web Applications Themes

Is there an idiot Proof way? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

The issue here is a client side cache problem. Since people already have visited the site they see the old one and not the new. Basic HTML site not a database driven Since people are not internet savvy is there a way to force a refresh from the server side. Maybe using htaccess or something. Most folks wouldn't understandand about deleting cached files, or history so I want to see if there is an Idiot proof method to make this happen when they connect so that the new site comes up instead of their cached site on their local computer. ...

  1. #1

    Default Is there an idiot Proof way?

    The issue here is a client side cache problem. Since people already have
    visited the site they see the old one and not the new.

    Basic HTML site not a database driven

    Since people are not internet savvy is there a way to force a refresh from
    the server side. Maybe using htaccess or something.

    Most folks wouldn't understandand about deleting cached files, or history so
    I want to see if there is an Idiot proof method to make this happen when
    they connect so that the new site comes up instead of their cached site on
    their local computer.

    I need some convincing answers for the site owner.

    thanks

    Mark W. Arney Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is there an idiot Proof way?

    Mark:

    Put this in the head of each file -

    It will cause each page to always be fetched in its entirety on each visit.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Mark W. Arney" <marneypurely-by-design.com> wrote in message
    > The issue here is a client side cache problem. Since people already have
    > visited the site they see the old one and not the new.
    >
    > Basic HTML site not a database driven
    >
    > Since people are not internet savvy is there a way to force a refresh from
    > the server side. Maybe using htaccess or something.
    >
    > Most folks wouldn't understandand about deleting cached files, or history
    so
    > I want to see if there is an Idiot proof method to make this happen when
    > they connect so that the new site comes up instead of their cached site on
    > their local computer.
    >
    > I need some convincing answers for the site owner.
    >
    > thanks

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, but I imagine that this is good for the future.
    I took over the site from a programmer that didn't use any meta tags, and
    did everything to make the site search engine unfriendly.

    So the previous site is already cached on regular visitors. I launched the
    new site and some folks are still seeing the old.

    So, I imagine there is nothing I can do until the browsers go to check for
    updates on the site.

    --mark--

    "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > Mark:
    >
    > Put this in the head of each file -

    > It will cause each page to always be fetched in its entirety on each
    visit.

    > --
    > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > ==================
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO GET
    > ANSWERS
    > ==================
    > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > ==================
    >
    > "Mark W. Arney" <marneypurely-by-design.com> wrote in message
    > > The issue here is a client side cache problem. Since people already have
    > > visited the site they see the old one and not the new.
    > >
    > > Basic HTML site not a database driven
    > >
    > > Since people are not internet savvy is there a way to force a refresh
    from
    > > the server side. Maybe using htaccess or something.
    > >
    > > Most folks wouldn't understandand about deleting cached files, or
    history
    > so
    > > I want to see if there is an Idiot proof method to make this happen when
    > > they connect so that the new site comes up instead of their cached site
    on
    > > their local computer.
    > >
    > > I need some convincing answers for the site owner.
    > >
    > > thanks

    Mark W. Arney Guest

  4. #4

    Mark:

    For what it's worth, no meta tags is not necessarily SE unfriendly. If the
    content is good and its structure is good you will get a good ranking. Many
    (most?) SE's now ignore meta tags anyhow....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Thanks, but I imagine that this is good for the future.
    > I took over the site from a programmer that didn't use any meta tags, and
    > did everything to make the site search engine unfriendly.
    >
    > So the previous site is already cached on regular visitors. I launched the
    > new site and some folks are still seeing the old.
    >
    > So, I imagine there is nothing I can do until the browsers go to check for
    > updates on the site.
    >
    > --mark--
    >
    > "Murray *TMM*" <forumsHAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
    > > Mark:
    > >
    > > Put this in the head of each file -

    > > It will cause each page to always be fetched in its entirety on each
    > visit.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    > > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX
    > > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    > > ==================
    > > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver[/url] - THE BEST WAY TO
    GET
    > > ANSWERS
    > > ==================
    > > [url]http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com[/url] - Template Triage!
    > > [url]http://www.projectseven.com/go[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.DreamweaverFAQ.com[/url] - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    > > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url] - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
    > > ==================
    > >
    > > "Mark W. Arney" <marneypurely-by-design.com> wrote in message
    > > > The issue here is a client side cache problem. Since people already
    have
    > > > visited the site they see the old one and not the new.
    > > >
    > > > Basic HTML site not a database driven
    > > >
    > > > Since people are not internet savvy is there a way to force a refresh
    > from
    > > > the server side. Maybe using htaccess or something.
    > > >
    > > > Most folks wouldn't understandand about deleting cached files, or
    > history
    > > so
    > > > I want to see if there is an Idiot proof method to make this happen
    when
    > > > they connect so that the new site comes up instead of their cached
    site
    > on
    > > > their local computer.
    > > >
    > > > I need some convincing answers for the site owner.
    > > >
    > > > thanks

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  5. #5

    Dan:

    Hehe - it is a little convoluted. But you can do it.....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:3F1045F1.2080909_the_bottom_of_the_post.com. ..
    > Murray *TMM* wrote:
    >

    > > no meta tags is not necessarily SE unfriendly.
    >
    > Ugh..Three negations in eight words. Usually, two negations can
    > eliminate each other, but this one was tricky...
    > Hmm.........

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  6. #6

    Murray *TMM* wrote:
    > Dan:
    >
    > Hehe - it is a little convoluted. But you can do it.....

    No, I don't think I won't fail unless it's not weekend and I haven't had
    a beer.
    Eat that!!!!
    :-)

    --
    Dan Vendel - *GOF*
    [url]http://www.vendel.info[/url]

    Dan Vendel *GOF* Guest

  7. #7

    The <meta http-equiv="pragma" content="no-cache"> doesn't work very well
    unfortunately. Could be why your visitors are still getting the old page. It
    can be tricky to accomplish this and it depends on your type of server too.

    You should do some reading on HTTP Headers and caching by expiry. This page
    will explain it better than I can... I would also do a search on the subject
    to get more info.

    [url]http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/[/url]

    --
    ..Trent Pastrana
    [url]www.fourlevel.com[/url]

    T. Pastrana Guest

  8. #8

    Yeah, it's a tuff issue to deal with. Can get complicated and require
    assistance from your server admin.

    --
    ..Trent Pastrana
    [url]www.fourlevel.com[/url]

    "Dan Vendel *GOF*" <see_my_signature__the_bottom_of_the_post.com> wrote in
    message news:3F1069BD.1070204_the_bottom_of_the_post.com. ..