Professional Web Applications Themes

Is there any free stuff for CF? - Coldfusion - Getting Started

I'm just starting with CF, and I was wondering if there is anything like the amount of free software available for CF that you can find for PHP (which I have been using for a while)? For example, I've used the Mambo CMS and various Wiki packages for PHP, and there are plenty more CMS/Wiki/BB packages etc out there, usually based around the PHP+MySQL combination, but I haven't seen any similar free stuff for ColdFusion. Does it exist, or are CF developers less inclined to get involved in producing free software than their PHP counterparts? Like any lazy developer, I ...

  1. #1

    Default Is there any free stuff for CF?

    I'm just starting with CF, and I was wondering if there is anything like the
    amount of free software available for CF that you can find for PHP (which I
    have been using for a while)?

    For example, I've used the Mambo CMS and various Wiki packages for PHP, and
    there are plenty more CMS/Wiki/BB packages etc out there, usually based around
    the PHP+MySQL combination, but I haven't seen any similar free stuff for
    ColdFusion.

    Does it exist, or are CF developers less inclined to get involved in producing
    free software than their PHP counterparts?

    Like any lazy developer, I don't want to have to spend time implementing
    something like a CMS if I can get one for free!

    Of course, CF hosting is another expensive issue, but I'll leave that for
    another time.

    Thanks for any help.

    Chris

    chriswebster Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is there any free stuff for CF?

    plenty of free cf stuff:
    [url]http://www.sustainablegis.com/things.cfm[/url]
    PaulH Guest

  3. #3

    For CMS:

    [url]http://farcry.daemon.com.au/[/url]

    Mike

    You wrote on Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:19:42 +0000 (UTC):

    c> For example, I've used the Mambo CMS and various Wiki packages for PHP,
    c> and there are plenty more CMS/Wiki/BB packages etc out there, usually
    c> based around the PHP+MySQL combination, but I haven't seen any similar
    c> free stuff for ColdFusion.

    c> Does it exist, or are CF developers less inclined to get involved in
    c> producing free software than their PHP counterparts?

    c> Like any lazy developer, I don't want to have to spend time
    c> implementing something like a CMS if I can get one for free!

    c> Of course, CF hosting is another expensive issue, but I'll leave that
    c> for another time.

    c> Thanks for any help.

    With best regards, Mike Hazard. E-mail: [email]mhazard1hotmail.com[/email]

    Mike Hazard Guest

  4. #4

    Just spotted another sad case of how its getting harder to do cf these days - I
    checked out cf open and there is practicallly nothing there app wise
    (especially compared to whats on offer with all the other platforms) and even
    worse, they don't eben use cf themselves! To quote:
    >>Why are we using PHP to host a ColdFusion site? Because it is what is
    available to us at this time.

    I wish I could get more info on this as it would be good to know if the server
    cost, hosting cost or some other factor made it hard for a cf based website to
    actually use cf. It's classic case of people recognising cf as a decent choice
    but being unable to actually make a case or warrant the use of it - it s
    big time.

    Andley Jandley Guest

  5. #5

    The main problem is that most CF hosting options that I've found so far are at
    least $10 more than something that implements ASP or PHP.

    But then again, Im pretty new to this and havent been looking for hosting for
    long.

    Im thinking about going with [url]http://www.crystaltech.com[/url] though

    Xercius Guest

  6. #6

    I'm not sure why you would even expect to anywhere near the amount of free
    stuff for CF as you do for PHP...which is completely based around an open
    source paradigm, while CF is not. PHP just naturally is going to attract those
    developers that are big into open source and are likely to go that route. I
    doubt even ASP.Net can match it for the quality of the free apps available.

    MaryJo Guest