Professional Web Applications Themes

Is there no end to the maximizing of browser windows? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Patty, You are so right, and just try and explain it to them... and you get that blank stare, and the response: "what's resolution? oohh, well now you're just getting to technical for me, just fix it so that the page isn't empty on the bottom!" LOL -- Regards, Kim "Ptty *TWB*" <rr.com> wrote in message news:bgtk7e$7bn$macromedia.com... ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Is there no end to the maximizing of browser windows?

    --
    Regards,

    Kim

    KimMazz Guest

  2. #2

    KimMazz wrote:

    Just add some squiggles, squiggles are way cool. Or you could put some
    whirly ani gifs to fill the space, as SB says no one ever tires of
    looking at them!

    http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail51.html

    --
    Cheers jojo
    Team Macromedia Member Volunteer for Dreamweaver MX

    jojo Guest

  3. #3

    Glad to know I'm not alone! I actually went to a client's office last week
    with a carefully-prepared set up mock-up web pages specifically to
    illustrate the issue of monitor resolution, including one page showing how I
    have to slice and dice the graphics and code the page to make it "stretch".
    It actually seemed to help a lot.

    In emailing this client back, I wanted to show her some other web sites and
    point out that most of them look a lot less than ideal at 1280 x 1024.
    Interestingly, the three famous sites I took a quick look at (microsoft.com,
    cnn.com, and ebay.com) all put the content into a narrow fixed-width layout,
    about 775px wide, which looks kind of dorky even at 1024 x 768, and really
    dorky at 1280 x 1024. The only place it looks good is with a window about
    800 px wide or narrower.

    Thinking, thinking.. <exhausted already>

    --
    Ptty Ayers
    http://www.WebDevBiz.com

    "KimMazz" <net> wrote in message
    me, [/ref]
    empty

    P@tty Guest

  4. #4

    I do too, but what we think of as a good compromise, clients sometimes think
    of as, "what's all that extra space?". :-)

    I think this issue is getting more difficult as monitors get bigger and
    resolution settings higher. I know we're all brilliant and everything, but
    it's a bit of a challenge for the same content to look "good" - to the
    standard that clients expect - at both 800 x 600 and 1600 x 1200. And on a
    PDA, etc.

    Not necessarily so hard to make it decent and usable on every kind of user
    agent in the world, but to meet the standards of clients, who expect it to
    look like a magazine ad no matter what they're using to view it.

    I'm just saying. =)

  5. #5

    A friend was just over here a few days ago to test his new Apple 20 inch LCD
    screen (his G5 is on order, drool....) That thing is w-i-d-e and it's not
    even the biggest on they make. You can get just about any page to break on
    that thing if you maximise the browser window. It will certainly be amusing
    when those JSs that maximise the window run on these displays.

    -- James M. Shook
    http://www.jshook.com

    James Guest

  6. #6

    In article <bgtn2b$dbs$macromedia.com> , "Ptty *TWB*"
    <rr.com> wrote:

    "Where's the rest of your content?"

    -- James M. Shook
    http://www.jshook.com

    James Guest

  7. #7

    "James M. Shook" <net> wrote in message
    | In article <bgtn2b$dbs$macromedia.com> , "Ptty *TWB*"
    | <rr.com> wrote:
    |
    | > "what's all that extra space?". :-)
    |
    | "Where's the rest of your content?"

    LOL - good one :)

    --
    Nadia
    http://www.perrelink.com.au/resources/

    Nadia Guest

  8. #8

    I keep my laptop at 1400x1050. If the sites that hijack the browser knew how
    it looked they would leave it small.

    SES

    *SES* Guest

  9. #9

    Irvin:

    Particularly if you bill these client meeting by the hour....
    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "irvin" <com> wrote in message
    news:bgtqes$kdd$macromedia.com... [/ref]
    empty

    > That's a design problem that stresses the importance of NOT starting any[/ref]
    job
    really

    Murray Guest

  10. #10

    > That's a design problem that stresses the importance of NOT starting any
    job

    True, in some/most cases. In this case, she wants a very spare, empty design
    for the home page, with a lot of white space. What's hard to explain to her
    is that it's close to impossible to make it so that that white space is
    distributed around the content in the same proportions at all window
    sizes...

  11. #11

    What's hard to explain to her

    unless of course you load one giant jpg - center it and make it about 300K

    ;0)

    --

    > job [/ref]
    can [/ref]
    of

    > True, in some/most cases. In this case, she wants a very spare, empty[/ref]
    design
    her

    KimMazz Guest

  12. #12

    > What's hard to explain to her
    >
    > unless of course you load one giant jpg - center it and make it about 300K
    >
    > ;0)[/ref]

    Yes, a wonderful solution. :-) But even that wouldn't center it
    vertically, which is where she's having her issues. :\

  13. #13

    In article <bgtl8j$9l6$macromedia.com>, rr.com
    says...

    Patty,

    Point them at jeep.com at 1280x1024, and explain that Jeep spends
    several million dollars a year on that site, so it must be ok :)

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  14. #14

    On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:51:12 -0600, Ian Firth <com> wrote:

    Most all the auto manufacturers' sites are the same way. A good many
    of them are done in Flash or Shockwave, but substitute alternate
    content for those of us who are Flash challenged. The alternate
    content also sits in the upper left corner of a 1280x1024 screen.

    Gary
    Gary Guest

  16. #16

    I wonder if British car company sites sit in the upper right corner?

    --
    Al Sparber - PVII
    http://www.projectseven.com

    "Gary White" <please> wrote in message

    > Most all the auto manufacturers' sites are the same way. A good many
    > of them are done in Flash or Shockwave, but substitute alternate
    > content for those of us who are Flash challenged. The alternate
    > content also sits in the upper left corner of a 1280x1024 screen.
    >

    > Gary[/ref]

    Al Guest

  17. #17

    Don't waste $5 to $6K on a plasma TV. They "burn" out in 3 to 4 years - so I'm told.

    - Lydia

    sxtnlyd Guest

  18. #18

    On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 12:39:39 -0400, "Al Sparber- PVII"
    <com> wrote:

    <LOL> I tried the Jaguar site with Mozilla 1.4 and got this page:
    http://www.jaguar.com/error_no_browser_support.asp?msgtype=version

    Gary
    Gary Guest