Professional Web Applications Themes

Is there validation text (like MS Access) in SQL Server 2000? - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

I know that SQL Server 2000 has constraint which Database designer can put restriction to a certain field. In MS Acess, there are validation rules (compare to MSSQL server is Constratint) and Validation text ( non of MS SQL Server 2000 exists this properties. If I have table TTABLE and field name Credit which is integer type. CK_01 is a constraint that was defined as ([Credit]) > 5 if user try to input value 1 in field Credit, in MS Access Validation text is shown in dialog box. This is a very usefull properties that DB Designer can put an ...

  1. #1

    Default Is there validation text (like MS Access) in SQL Server 2000?

    I know that SQL Server 2000 has constraint which Database
    designer can put restriction to a certain field. In MS
    Acess, there are validation rules (compare to MSSQL server
    is Constratint) and Validation text ( non of MS SQL Server
    2000 exists this properties.

    If I have table TTABLE and field name Credit which is
    integer type. CK_01 is a constraint that was defined as
    ([Credit]) > 5

    if user try to input value 1 in field Credit, in MS Access
    Validation text is shown in dialog box. This is a very
    usefull properties that DB Designer can put an instruction
    for user to correct the problems such as " Credit must be
    greater than 5 ". And also such property provide a meaning
    full for programmer because they do not have to deal with
    DBDesigner. When thy write a program that catch error, all
    they have to do is to display error message which is
    provided to programm exactly the way DB Designer want to.

    For now, I don't know where to find such property in MS
    SQL server 2000. When constraint violated by user, SQL
    Server show message like

    "UPDATE statement conflicted with COLUMN CHECK
    constraint 'cst_01 Credit must be greater than 10'. The
    conflict occurred in database 'TestDB', table 'TUSER',
    column 'CREDIT'.
    The statement has been terminated. "

    Which user doesn't know how to fixed it.

    Tell me how to find Validation text. Or if MsSql server
    cannot do as Ms Access do, just tell me how to force SQL
    server to display just constraint name so I can put
    description in it's constraint name. (just for temporary
    untill MS SQL Server can do the same task)
    Regard,

    thep Akkho
    Pornthep Guest

  3. #3

    Access is a front end tool, so it provides front-end (client-side)
    functionality.

    SQL Server is a backend database server, so you need to write any front-end
    functionality that you require. This means: you have to write code that
    ps the error messages from SQL and displays friendly information to the
    user.

    Bob Barrows

    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Though it is back-end DBMS. Still they can display error
    like
     [/ref]
    The [/ref]

    As you might have noticed. 'cst_01 Credit must be
    greater than 10' is the constraint name that DB Designer
    put in database. And I think should we consider that as
    back-end? Because Validation text is the way access inform
    user what error instead of mechanism of display text as
    mention above which doesn't give much information ( I mean
    though we know what constraint violated, still we have to
    go to enterprise manager to see what condition on such
    constraint). So I think that might be back-end, up to DB
    Designer to do such task. Or I'm not sure if it's correct.

    Instead of display such error by SQL Server, why don't
    they do better job, at least inform about condition
    they've just violate.

    Moreover, error code is the same so we can not distinguish
    what field violate error. For example, if both
    field "Credit" and "Amt" violate constraint, we can
    programmed using other programming tool to catch error and
    display without modifiding code at all. It would go the
    way DB Designer want to, not programmer.

    Please let me know if there might be someway... Still
    hoping...

    (client-side)
    write any front-end
    write code that
    information to the [/ref]
    Database [/ref]
    server [/ref]
    Server [/ref]
    Access [/ref]
    instruction [/ref]
    be [/ref]
    meaning [/ref]
    with [/ref]
    all [/ref]
    to. [/ref]
    The

    >.
    >[/ref]
    Pornthep Guest

  5. #5

    If you use an MS Access 2002 adp as the client front end, it uses custom SQL
    Server properties which I think includes user-specified constraint error
    text. It definitely includes other Access-specific features like table and
    attribute definitions. But if you're not using Access 2002 as the client,
    you will have to write your own code to use these properties.
    Paul Shapiro

    "thep Akkho" <com> wrote in message
    news:003c01c359ce$cfd47c10$gbl... [/ref]
    > The [/ref]
    >
    > As you might have noticed. 'cst_01 Credit must be
    > greater than 10' is the constraint name that DB Designer
    > put in database. And I think should we consider that as
    > back-end? Because Validation text is the way access inform
    > user what error instead of mechanism of display text as
    > mention above which doesn't give much information ( I mean
    > though we know what constraint violated, still we have to
    > go to enterprise manager to see what condition on such
    > constraint). So I think that might be back-end, up to DB
    > Designer to do such task. Or I'm not sure if it's correct.
    >
    > Instead of display such error by SQL Server, why don't
    > they do better job, at least inform about condition
    > they've just violate.
    >
    > Moreover, error code is the same so we can not distinguish
    > what field violate error. For example, if both
    > field "Credit" and "Amt" violate constraint, we can
    > programmed using other programming tool to catch error and
    > display without modifiding code at all. It would go the
    > way DB Designer want to, not programmer.
    >
    > Please let me know if there might be someway... Still
    > hoping...
    >

    > (client-side)
    > write any front-end
    > write code that