Professional Web Applications Themes

Is this server, client or jet engine problem? - ASP Database

Hi, I'm getting an intermittent error on my site. The server is win2000 and the site is scripted with classic asp 3.0 and vbscript. Everything has been fine for the last couple of years and I've made no changes. I've started getting this error ************************************************** ***** I get the following error: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e4d' [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too many client tasks. ************************************************** ******* I found this article at microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154869 I contacted my host and they said that it was because too many users were trying to access the db at the same ...

  1. #1

    Default Is this server, client or jet engine problem?

    Hi,

    I'm getting an intermittent error on my site.

    The server is win2000 and the site is scripted with classic asp 3.0 and
    vbscript.

    Everything has been fine for the last couple of years and I've made no
    changes.

    I've started getting this error
    I get the following error:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e4d'

    [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Too many client tasks.

    I found this article at microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154869

    I contacted my host and they said that it was because too many users
    were trying to access the db at the same time.

    I checked all my traffic log files and nothing has changed In fact the sites
    have had more hits in the past with no problems.

    This is affecting 2 domains hosted with the same host on the same server.

    Can anyone shed any light on this because I'm certain there's a problem with
    the host.

    Thanks

    Dan

    Me Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is this server, client or jet engine problem?

    Me wrote:

    That's simply the wrong diagnosis. It has nothing to do with the number of
    users.

    Two suggestions:
    Make sure you are explicitly closing and destroying your connections on each
    page where they are used.
    Try switching to the native Jet OLEDB provider rather than the obsolete ODBC
    driver. (see www.able-consulting.com/ado_conn.htm for examples of connection
    strings using this provider).

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Bob,

    Thanks for the response all the connections are closed on each page.

    I will switch to native Jet OLEDB as you suggested and see if that helps.

    I take it that it is client side or could it be the host has problems with
    their
    ODBC Drivers?

    Regards

    Dan

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message

    > That's simply the wrong diagnosis. It has nothing to do with the number of
    > users.

    > Two suggestions:
    > Make sure you are explicitly closing and destroying your connections on[/ref]
    each
    ODBC
    connection

    Me Guest

  4. #4

    It's probably not a "client" problem given that you are probably not
    connecting to the database in client-side code.

    The host may need to update their Jet drivers, which is a separate download
    from the MDAC installation. Make sure they have Jet 4.0 installed on the
    server.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Bob,

    I'll look into it.

    Dan

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <SPAMcom> wrote in message
    download [/ref]

    > --
    > Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Me Guest

  6. #6

    Are you implicitly opening connections?

    I've seen people create a recordset, and then for each record in the
    recordset they do a loop looking for matching records in the database. This
    type of looping can cause this error.

    Can you post the code in question please?

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Me" <co.uk> wrote in message

    >> That's simply the wrong diagnosis. It has nothing to do with the number
    >> of
    >> users.
    >>

    >> Two suggestions:
    >> Make sure you are explicitly closing and destroying your connections on[/ref]
    > each
    > ODBC
    > connection
    >
    >[/ref]