Professional Web Applications Themes

Is this something I should get Director for? - Macromedia Director 3D

I am in the market for a web based app which allows the end users to build 3D character models (much like MMO characters) from the ground up, by selecting from an assortment of 3D bits and pieces... As an example, a user could build a fantasy gladiator character simply by selecting a pair of leather booths, then attaching a bare-skinned left calf, and a leather covered right calf, then attaching matching leather-covered thighs, continuing with a metal-plate covered groin, a bare-skinned abdomen, a chainmail covered chest, a bare-skinned right bicep and a chainmail covered left bicep, a matching pair ...

  1. #1

    Default Is this something I should get Director for?

    I am in the market for a web based app which allows the end users to build 3D
    character models (much like MMO characters) from the ground up, by selecting
    from an assortment of 3D bits and pieces...

    As an example, a user could build a fantasy gladiator character simply by
    selecting a pair of leather booths, then attaching a bare-skinned left calf,
    and a leather covered right calf, then attaching matching leather-covered
    thighs, continuing with a metal-plate covered groin, a bare-skinned abdomen, a
    chainmail covered chest, a bare-skinned right bicep and a chainmail covered
    left bicep, a matching pair of leather covered forearms, a right hand holding a
    huge sword and a left hand holding a shield, and any one of a number of heads.
    A similar process could be used, selecting different bits and pieces, to
    assemble a cowboy or space marine, or any number of various characters.

    These various pieces would all be available from a library they can browse
    through ? an entire selection of various pieces sorted by body part (Left and
    Right versions each of feet, calves, thighs, biceps, forearms, and hands, as
    well as groin, abdomen, chest, neck, and head) and/or genre (fantasy, space,
    modern, old west, etc.). They would be pre-made by 3D artists; and dynamically
    available from folders stored on the same web server as the app itself.

    I would like the entire model as a whole to be able to be posed in various
    positions both during and after the 'construction' of the model (so the
    individual pieces can be rotated on all axis before attaching to the rest of
    the model, and/or a single attached piece can be ?pulled? into a different
    position, drawing with it the other pieces in the line). Also I would like to
    allow for a pan, orbit, and zoom of the entire model throughout the process.

    Once the model is as desired, I want the end user to be able to save it, and
    load it back for later editing. I also need the saved models to be exported for
    use in another application.

    There will be no (or minimal) use of texture maps, I am only concerned with
    solid polygons here. The end result, and possibly the originating 3D 'bits'
    used to create the full models, will need to be stereolithography (.stl) files.

    With all that said, is this something that can be done (easily) with the use
    of Director?

    RossPubGrp Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is this something I should get Director for?

    Sure. I have made a few such programs, 3d avatar creators and whatnot.
    I'm not sure about your requirement to use .stl files, but if you can
    convert the 3d assets into shockwave 3d (w3d) format, then you are
    golden. I use 3d studio max. You would make a basic skeleton and give
    it a physique modifier. That can be moved in Director using bones
    animations.

    I have never tried adding pieces like legs and arms. When I did it, you
    could choose from a variety of bodies, then add textures or other models
    to them. I suspect it would be possible to do it your way though. You
    could make your default model invisible and add leg models, armor
    models, etc to them.
    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    The 'assets' don't necessarily need to be .stl files; I need the final version
    to be able to be saved and/or exported as an stl file - I am not sure if that
    would require the initial assets to be stl or not.

    I am also needing to work with pure poly models only, no textures... I know
    this will make a huge poly count for nice looking characters, but the final
    product is going to be 'printed' to a rapid prototyping machine, making a
    physical copy...and it doesn't do textures.

    So how hard would this type of program be to make? I have some basic
    programming experience, and flash actionscript experience, but I am not
    'advanced' in any programming... would it be something I could hack together
    with trial and error and available resources such as tutorials and forums, or
    would I need to hire it out?

    RossPubGrp Guest

  4. #4

    [q]Originally posted by: RossPubGrp
    The 'assets' don't necessarily need to be .stl files; I need the final version
    to be able to be saved and/or exported as an stl file - I am not sure if that
    would require the initial assets to be stl or not.[/q]

    Director Shockwave has nothing to do with Stereolithography (*.stl) files.
    I cannot figure out why do you have to work with this obscure file format, but
    you may use Quick3D if you really need these STL files.
    btw:
    The "final version" is going to be a projector (EXE file) or a shockwave movie
    (DCR file).
    What do you mean with that "the final version to be able to be saved and/or
    exported as an stl file" ???

    Romeo.Marian Guest

  5. #5

    I mean the final version of the character - the full model which is built from
    pieces and then saved as a single 3D file, needs to be in .stl format. The
    reason for this obscure format is that most 3D printers (rapid prototyping
    machines) only handle this file format as input.

    RossPubGrp Guest

  6. #6

    [q]Originally posted by: RossPubGrp
    I mean the final version of the character - the full model which is built from
    pieces and then saved as a single 3D file, needs to be in .stl format. The
    reason for this obscure format is that most 3D printers (rapid prototyping
    machines) only handle this file format as input.[/q]

    Director Shockwave is not a 3D modeler (and you cannot export 'resulted' 3d
    models).

    Romeo.Marian Guest

  7. #7

    Yeah. If the visual shockwave file is the final output that you want,
    then use Director. Director is not the right choice if you need to
    export the models in any format apart from standard 2-d graphics
    formats, like jpg. I don't know anything about how .stl files work, but
    I have not heard of any exporter for it from Director.
    Mike Guest

  8. #8

    Thanks for the info, then. I was afraid I would have to get something custom written an a c/c++ environment, and it looks like I will after all.
    RossPubGrp Guest

  9. #9

    What you might be able to do is use Director for the interface portion
    of the program. For instance set it up so the user can choose which
    bits of models to apply to arms, legs, etc, than have Director save out
    a text file (or xml or something) identifying each piece and location.
    Then your custom stl converter program would read in these preferences
    and make your final output that will go to the printer.

    Just a thought.
    Mike Guest