Professional Web Applications Themes

Is Toast 6 better than iMovie/iDVD? - Mac Applications & Software

Just wondering if Toast 6 has any features which make it worth $80 over the "free" iMovie and iDVD that came with my G4. Comments? Thanks! Bill...

  1. #1

    Default Is Toast 6 better than iMovie/iDVD?

    Just wondering if Toast 6 has any features which make it worth $80
    over the "free" iMovie and iDVD that came with my G4. Comments?

    Thanks!
    Bill
    Bill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Toast 6 better than iMovie/iDVD?

    In article <google.com>, Bill
    <com> wrote:

    Well, in addition to DVDs for video, it will also create (menu-driven)
    VCDs and SVCDs. Toast provides added convenience with their "Plug &
    Burn" feature, where you can hook up the videocamera and have it
    import/burn directly to disc for those situations where you have no
    desire to edit in iMovie. Their version of the Ken Burns Effect is, at
    least IMO, a little better than the one in iMovie.

    For data-burning, it is faster and uses the disc capacity better than
    Apple's built-in Disc Burner (can actually get 700MB on a 700MB CD
    instead of about 650MB-660MB).

    Whether the added features and convenience/performance improvements
    are worth the $80 to you is something only you can answer. For me, the
    answer was a resounding affirmative.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    sbt wrote:

    Toast 5 could get up to 695 MB (+ directory) on a 700 MB disk,
    except in cases where there were thousands of small files, which
    would apparently boost the space used by the directory.

    How do the Apple burners waste that much space? Does it mean
    that Apple-burned CDs read out faster, due to a less convoluted
    or fragmented directory?
    George Guest

  4. #4

    com (Bill) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    From the FAQ on Roxio's web site...
    http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/faq.jhtml#5

    Q: I use iMovie. Why should I also use Toast 6 Titanium?
    A: Toast helps you do more with iMovie:
    * Turn your iMovie into a Video CD, Super Video CD or DVD with drag &
    drop ease.
    * Turn your still photos into a Motion Picture and add it to your
    iMovie project.

    Q: I use iDVD. Why should I also use Toast 6 Titanium?
    A: Toast helps you do more with your DVD recorder:
    * Plug & Burn helps you to transfer from your DV camcorder and create
    a disc with one click.
    * Create Video CDs and Super Video CDs, which are affordable
    alternatives to blank DVDs for short videos and photo slideshows, that
    play back in home DVD players.
    * Universal Video Converter, so you can add virtually any video file
    to your video disc.
    * One-click copy of any unprotected Video CD, Super Video CD or DVD.
    * Discus® RE for personalizing your video discs with printed labels
    and case covers.

    Sure VCD and SVCD have lower quality than DVD... but you won't even
    notice it for slideshows, and you definitely can't beat the price for
    the blanks. I know people who do their test work on VCD/SVCD and
    their final project onto DVD.
    fingerman Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>,
    com (fingerman) wrote:

    > From the FAQ on Roxio's web site...
    > http://www.roxio.com/en/products/toast/faq.jhtml#5[/ref]

    I think this alone might be worth $80:

    There have been quite a few times when using iDVD that I wished I could
    get just a bit past 90 mins on a single DVD, even if the quality was
    lower. While the FAQ doesn't indicate the limits of the MPEG-2 encoder
    (or who developed it) I would hope that with VBR it could exceed 90 mins.
    Heather Guest

  6. #6

    > I think this alone might be worth $80:
    > [/ref]

    except this *can't* be turned off. if you already have an encoded mpeg
    file, it will happily reencode it. toast 5 just burns it immediately
    without the unnecessary encoding step.
    nospam Guest

  7. #7

    In article <050920032253140979%invalid>,
    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    I thought it would only re-encode in cases where the content exceeds DVD
    current limit.
    Vincent Guest

  8. #8

    In article <verizon.net>, Vincent
    Vega <net> wrote:

    > I thought it would only re-encode in cases where the content exceeds DVD
    > current limit.[/ref]

    i can't speak for dvds, but with svcds, it is reencoding when i know it
    definitely fits and is already encoded properly. toast 5 is smart
    enough to notice this and burn immediately.
    nospam Guest

  9. #9

    nospam <invalid> wrote:

    >> I thought it would only re-encode in cases where the content exceeds DVD
    >> current limit.[/ref]
    >
    > i can't speak for dvds, but with svcds, it is reencoding when i know it
    > definitely fits and is already encoded properly. toast 5 is smart
    > enough to notice this and burn immediately.[/ref]

    It says it is encoding, but I doubt that: When I feed Toast 6 an svcd
    compliant mpeg file, the "encoding" process takes only 3 minutes on a
    G4/466, which is way to little time to really encode. I wonder what it is
    doing exactly in those few minutes, though.

    Regards,
    Tom

    --

    "If you're not confused, you're not paying attention"
    -- Michael Rothschild, 1993

  10. #10

    In article <upc-c.chello.nl>, Tom
    <nl> wrote:

    > > i can't speak for dvds, but with svcds, it is reencoding when i know it
    > > definitely fits and is already encoded properly. toast 5 is smart
    > > enough to notice this and burn immediately.[/ref]
    >
    > It says it is encoding, but I doubt that: When I feed Toast 6 an svcd
    > compliant mpeg file, the "encoding" process takes only 3 minutes on a
    > G4/466, which is way to little time to really encode. I wonder what it is
    > doing exactly in those few minutes, though.
    >
    > Regards,[/ref]

    Do you have the box checked to create a menu? If so, that would explain
    it. Toast is encoding the menu and button for your movie.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  11. #11

     [/ref]

    i wonder also, since the file is compliant. i was on a g3, so the
    encoding step took 10 minutes. toast 5 doesn't need to do it and the
    svcds work fine.

    that check box made no difference (nor did anything else i tried).
    nospam Guest

  12. #12

    sbt <com.invalid> wrote in message news:<050920030900022265%com.invalid>...

    > Well, in addition to DVDs for video, it will also create (menu-driven)
    > VCDs and SVCDs. Toast provides added convenience with their "Plug &
    > Burn" feature, where you can hook up the videocamera and have it
    > import/burn directly to disc for those situations where you have no
    > desire to edit in iMovie. Their version of the Ken Burns Effect is, at
    > least IMO, a little better than the one in iMovie.
    >
    > For data-burning, it is faster and uses the disc capacity better than
    > Apple's built-in Disc Burner (can actually get 700MB on a 700MB CD
    > instead of about 650MB-660MB).
    >
    > Whether the added features and convenience/performance improvements
    > are worth the $80 to you is something only you can answer. For me, the
    > answer was a resounding affirmative.[/ref]

    Well, after three failed attempts to burn a DVD on an internal
    aftermarket Pioneer A06U drive I installed (same model as Apple's
    SuperDrive), I bought Toast 6 Titanium (8 hour download--wow) and had
    success! iDVD would just get some distance throught the process and
    hang. Fortunately, it never actually wrote to the disc so it didn't
    make any coasters. So I'm up on Toast 6!

    Unfortunately the chapter divisions I made in iMovie did not get
    written to disc by Toast. Does anyone know the solution to that?

    Bill
    Bill Guest

  13. #13

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Bill) wrote:

    Toast does totally different things than iMovie/iDVD. No comparison.

    Read the literature on all three and educate yourself.
    --
    Cheers,
    _Chas_

  14. #14

    nospam <invalid> wrote in message news:<060920031556554353%invalid>... [/ref]

    > i wonder also, since the file is compliant. i was on a g3, so the
    > encoding step took 10 minutes. toast 5 doesn't need to do it and the
    > svcds work fine.
    >[/ref]

    How are you doing svcd in Toast 5? It doesn't support burning SVCD
    directly, only VCD. I always have to image the SVCD using GNU
    vcdToolsX first and burn the Multitrack CD-ROM XA files that it
    produces. Maybe the 3-10 minute "encoding" process is really Toast
    imaging the file to a similar disc image before it burns, just like I
    have to manually do with Toast 5?
    Mike Guest

  15. #15

    In article <google.com>, Mike
    Harrison <com> wrote:

    i do it by dropping an already encoded mpeg file on toast in the vcd
    mode. works great, unlike toast 6 which thinks it needs to reencode
    already encoded video.
    nospam Guest

  16. #16

    nospam <invalid> wrote in message news:<170920032200354593%invalid>...

    > i do it by dropping an already encoded mpeg file on toast in the vcd
    > mode. works great, unlike toast 6 which thinks it needs to reencode
    > already encoded video.[/ref]

    That only works if the mpg file is VCD, not SVCD. I get an error if I
    drag a properly-encoded SVCD into the VCD mode.
    Mike Guest

  17. #17

    In article <google.com>, Mike
    Harrison <com> wrote:

    > > i do it by dropping an already encoded mpeg file on toast in the vcd
    > > mode. works great, unlike toast 6 which thinks it needs to reencode
    > > already encoded video.[/ref]
    >
    > That only works if the mpg file is VCD, not SVCD. I get an error if I
    > drag a properly-encoded SVCD into the VCD mode.[/ref]

    what error do you get?

    i've been using toast 5 for svcd encoded mpegs without any problems
    whatosever.
    nospam Guest

  18. #18

    nospam <invalid> wrote in message news:<180920031523594450%invalid>...

    > > That only works if the mpg file is VCD, not SVCD. I get an error if I
    > > drag a properly-encoded SVCD into the VCD mode.[/ref]
    >
    > what error do you get?
    >
    > i've been using toast 5 for svcd encoded mpegs without any problems
    > whatosever.[/ref]

    I used to get an error, but I just tried it and it seems to recognize
    SVCDs now. I guess they updated Toast since I last tried it. I'll have
    to try to burn an SVCD with this method and see if it plays in my DVD
    player.
    Mike Guest

  19. #19

    com (Mike Harrison) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    > > what error do you get?
    > >
    > > i've been using toast 5 for svcd encoded mpegs without any problems
    > > whatosever.[/ref]
    >
    > I used to get an error, but I just tried it and it seems to recognize
    > SVCDs now. I guess they updated Toast since I last tried it. I'll have
    > to try to burn an SVCD with this method and see if it plays in my DVD
    > player.[/ref]

    Just to follow up, the resulting burned disc does not play in my DVD
    player, although it does play in my Mac using MacVCDX. The DVD player
    tries to play it as a VideoCD 1.1 disc instead of an SVCD.

    So I still have to use VCDToolsX to image the SVCD files before
    burning so my DVD player recognizes the SVCDs.
    Mike Guest