Professional Web Applications Themes

Is Windows with Cygwin Unix? - Linux / Unix Administration

I need help. I'm a small business owner looking at purchasing a server. I've looked and am very confused. I heard Unix was the best but what is UNIX? What makes a UNIX system a UNIX system? What is the cut off point? The ability to run Unix programs? Well, Windows with Cygwin will run Unix programs. Is Windows with Cygwin Unix? On the other hand a program like CDRECORD will run under cygwin in Windows, OS X, FreeBSD, and Solaris 10 but not Linux. Is linux less Unix than Windows? Why are there so many warnings messages about Linux ...

  1. #1

    Default Is Windows with Cygwin Unix?

    I need help. I'm a small business owner looking at purchasing a
    server. I've looked and am very confused. I heard Unix was the best
    but what is UNIX?

    What makes a UNIX system a UNIX system? What is the cut off point?

    The ability to run Unix programs? Well, Windows with Cygwin will run
    Unix programs. Is Windows with Cygwin Unix? On the other hand a
    program like CDRECORD will run under cygwin in Windows, OS X, FreeBSD,
    and Solaris 10 but not Linux. Is linux less Unix than Windows? Why
    are there so many warnings messages about Linux in cdrecord when it
    works fine everywhere else?

    In fact, when I was in a pinch, I used cdrecord on my Windows Cygwin
    laptop to burn a CD when I misplaced my burning software install disk.

    Is it certification that makes Unix, a UNIX? Then why are the bsd's
    under comp.unix.bsd.* ? They aren't certified. What about apple? Why
    are they calling OS X Unix? If Apple and BSD can call their OSes Unix,
    what is UNIX anyway? Does UNIX stand for anything anymore? More
    importantly, what Unix? If everything is Unix nowadays, how can Unix
    be more secure?

    Karen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is Windows with Cygwin Unix?

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:06:45 -0800, Karen Hill wrote:

    http://www.unix.org/

    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    In comp.unix.solaris Karen Hill <com> wrote:

    Unix-like operating systems provide facilities that are defined by a number
    of standards. See http://www.unix.org/ for details. Most "Unix" systems you
    will see are not certified as "UNIX", despite being full implementations of
    the UNIX standards, as it costs money to apply for the certification.

    Don't even understand what that question means. Certain operating systems,
    such as those from Microsoft are definitely not UNIX but can provide a
    limited Unix-like interface such as that provided by Cygwin. This
    middleware doesn't solve the underlying security problems that arise in the
    Windows platform that just don't exist in an operating system that is Unix
    all the way down to the bare metal.

    --
    Geoff Lane, Airstrip One

    Today's Excuse: Police are examining all Internet packets in the search for
    a narco-net-traficer
    Geoff Guest

  4. #4

    On 2006-03-21, Karen Hill <com> wrote:

    Troll.

    Not a bad effort, though.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Th' MIND is the Pizza
    at Palace of th' SOUL

  5. #5

    In comp.os.linux.misc Karen Hill <com>:

    That's just a personal problem of the author of cdrecord, your
    post could just fire off a flamewar. Indeed the cross posting
    makes it likely. ;-)

    In terms of trademark, yep. Check http://www.opengroup.org/

    Dunno about Apple, it might just be usage with *BSD? Unsure how
    this questions would help you decide what kind of server you'd
    like to get?

    It all depends on how much work you can afford into the system,
    if you aren't familiar with *nix.

    To answer your question about Linux:

    "What is Linux?

    Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from
    scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit
    team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single
    UNIX Specification compliance."

    [ http://www.kernel.org/ ]

    Can you find some remark like this over at
    http://www.microsoft.com/ ?

    BTW
    Please try below URL(s) before answering, most people aren't
    using a browser here to read/write, this is usenet.

    http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply
    http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google
    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 218: The UPS doesn't have a battery backup.
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    Karen Hill wrote:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_uauthors=com

    Orbs Guest

  7. #7

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:06:45 -0800, Karen Hill wrote:

    I don't think that is necessarily true. What is 'best' for one use or user
    is not 'best' for everything or everyone. Personally, I use Linux for
    everything from server to desktop and beyond. But I don't just use one
    distribution of Linux.

    Cygwin is a *nix emulator running on MS - in my estimation. Linux is more
    like Unix than MS (Unix had a functional windowing desktop long before MS
    - I don't understand why MS is referred to as 'windows' when Xwindows was
    functional first). But Linux is not Unix, either. The Linux kernel is a
    Unix work-alike. To be Unix, it needs to have a Unix kernel - like BSD,
    for example.

    IMHO - osx is not Unix either, though it is based on a Unix kernel, it
    does not have Unix functionality.

    *nix is more secure (than MS) because of the structure and philosophy of
    the operating system.

    ray Guest

  8. #8

    Default Do not feed the trolls! (was: Re: Is Windows with Cygwin Unix?)

    On Tuesday 21 March 2006 21:06, Karen Hill stood up and spoke the
    following words to the masses in /comp.os.linux.misc...:/

    Please keep your trolling limited to /comp.os.linux.advocacy,/ "Karen
    Hill", alias /flatfish+++./ I'm actually surprised to see that for
    once /C.O.L.A./ actually *isn't* in the list of addressed groups.

    I specifically left /C.O.L.A./ because it has become a discussion forum
    for Microsoft-haters, Microsoft apologists and OS X trolls, so much
    that maintaining a /killfile/ isn't even of any use there, considering
    that all troll posts are quoted in full in the follow-ups.

    The least you can do is show us all the courtesy to keep on directing
    your posts at the groups that _do_ like trollfeeding, /C.O.L.A./ being
    the most eligible one.

    For all your questions regarding UNIX and GNU/Linux, here's the
    address...:

    http://www.google.com

    You really must have a lot of time on your hands to keep on doing this
    multiple times per week for years in a row. Whatever your beef with
    /C.O.L.A./ may be, take it there, not here.

    *********

    Note to all other readers: My apologies for the follow-up to this
    trollpost, but it's the only way I can alert other posters that the
    answers to the questions asked in the original post are already known
    to the original poster - although that's totally irrelevant to him -
    and that his cross-posted trolls are solely directed at stirring up
    trouble.

    /flatfish+++/ is a known and proven troll who uses a very huge
    collection of false pseudonyms - accompanied by the occasional
    anonymizing proxy or posts from Google Groups - that he constantly
    shifts between. He's a regular on the audio groups, the SuSE group and
    /C.O.L.A./

    The question of the subject line comes from one of my very own (and very
    last) posts to /C.O.L.A./ in which I stated that adding Cygwin to
    Windows does not make it into a UNIX. Just goes to show what the
    "inspiration" came from.

    --
    With kind regards,

    *Aragorn*
    (Registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
    Aragorn Guest

  9. #9

    Karen Hill wrote:
    This troll must be some Microsoft employee trying to waste the time of
    UNIX users.
    Wes Guest

  10. #10

    Karen Hill wrote:

    "Unix" is not an operating system! It's a family of operating systems.
    It's the sort of family where your half sister is also your first
    cousin! AT&T created it. Berkeley got hold of it and did a lot of
    development. These two versions and their descendants have been
    exchanging genetic material ever since in ways that would make a stock
    breeder blush. Something like a dozen different vendors have been
    involved; among the major ones were Sun (SunOS/Solaris), HP (HPUX),
    Digital Equipment (since acquired by Compaq and Compaq by HP)(Digital
    Unix/True-64), Silicon Graphics (IRIX), Novell, SCO, IBM (AIX), etc, etc.

    Linux is not Unix, it is "Unix-like".

    Start by defining just what you want the server to do. File server?
    Print server? Database? Web server? Application server?

    Then decide what application software you want to run on the server.

    Finally, list the server and Operating System combinations that support
    the applications you want to run. Chose one, based on price,
    performance, total cost of ownership, support, and/or any other metrics
    you consider important.

    Be prepared to hire a geek to install and maintain it. You may need to
    become a geek yourself.
    Richard Guest

  11. #11

    In <lCZTf.329649$telenet-ops.be> Aragorn:

    [Snip...]

    I've 10 years or so of Usenet, and I can't recall a more persistent pest
    than Flattie and its sockies/wannabes. As you mentioned, typically MO is
    an open-ended question specifically tailored NOT to have any answer that
    Usenet tech groups likely have. Its entire purpose is disruption.

    I've taken to plonking the entire GoogleGrope/M$/advocacy domain, myself
    (see my X-spambot-trap header). Pity, that. :)

    Harold Guest

  12. #12

    Karen Hill wrote:

    Hi Karen!
    Fire up your "Apple pie", put in Google, add Unix and sprinkle some OSX
    on top.

    Good appetite!

    NOTE: Not NT 5.1 rep this one, strange.

    Stanislaw
    Slack user from Ulladulla.

    Stanislaw Guest

  13. #13

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Karen Hill wrote:

    You've never uttered truer words. You're also a known troll.

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    Rich Guest

  14. #14

    On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 13:06:45 -0800, Karen Hill wrote:

    Windows with Cygwin isn't Unix, because it still has Windows in it. Duh.
    (Similarly for Posix on Z-series and Posix on VMS, btw.)

    It's the absence of Windows that is the important difference.

    All of the rest of your questions depend on the significant
    capitalization of UNIX vs Unix vs unix. I'm afraid that Google probably
    isn't going to make that distinction easy, but some of the doents that
    you can find through it will explain the differences.

    --
    Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  15. #15

    Karen Hill wrote:
    Greetinds:
    I have noticed the previous responses to your inquiry and also found
    them to disastifsctory. A simplistic answer to your question about what
    is 'UNIX', first 'UNIX' is a registered trademark which means that
    basically that you can't call your os 'UNIX' unless you have jumped
    through the necrssary hoops (specified by the trademark holder). So
    where are we now ? Now I am going to make a statement which will make a
    lot of heat here. 1. Linux is not UNIX. 2 FreeBSD is not UNIX 3.Not
    definately sure,but Solaris is not UNIX either. Linux is not UNIX like,
    in reality it is just a kernel. Looking around you will notice that
    there is no operating system called 'linux', there are several
    distributions of linux "Red Hat" "SUSE" among others all of which use a
    linux kernel then in the userland they will include a bunch of other
    utilities most likely "GNU" actually itself an acronym meaning GNU is
    Not UNIX. I had a coleage ask me what is the difference between "linux"
    and "freebsd" (I am a freebsd user myself) is that "linux" does not have
    "tip". "Tip" is a serial communication utility which usually included
    with UNIX aand UNIX like systems but not included with any "linux"
    There are many more examples like the one I just listed but I am not
    going to bother with them here. Once I installed a linux but when I
    tried to run X windows it stated that I needed to get another video
    driver to this, at that point I decided that it was not worth effort.
    Personally I have never encountered the same problem with freebsd. I am
    partial to freebsd and I would recommend it to anyone who is starting
    out. As far Cygwin is concerned, I had another colleaque who needed a c
    compiler that he could use an ms windos machine but he stated that he
    could not use it because of xyz reasons (personaaly I can't remember
    what xyz was but it made sense) So the final answer to Is Windows with
    Cygwin Unix? the answer is deffinately no! So good luck with your
    endeavours.
    John Guest

  16. #16

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 05:07:52 +0000, John Grimes wrote:
    [ ... ]

    You should be definately (sic) sure:

    http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm

    Dave Guest

  17. #17

    Dave Uhring wrote:

    > You should be definately (sic) sure:
    >
    > http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm
    >[/ref]
    Greetings:
    So what is the story Dave is this an answer or are you trying to cover
    up your own ignorance?
    John Guest

  18. #18

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006, John Grimes wrote:

    > > You should be definately (sic) sure:
    > >
    > > http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm
    > >[/ref]
    > Greetings:
    > So what is the story Dave is this an answer or are you trying to cover
    > up your own ignorance?[/ref]

    In point 3 of your post (quoted above), you assert that although "you're not
    definately sure, Solaris is not UNIX either". The URL Dave provided shows
    evidence that refutes your statement: if anything, it shows up YOUR ignorance
    in this respect. Unless you're trying to make a point that elludes me at
    present?

    Solaris has been UNIX certified for quite a few years now. (To the best of
    my knowledge, you are correct in stating that Linux and FreeBSD are not UNIX.)

    HTH,

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638
    Rich Guest

  19. #19

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 22:57:28 +0000, John Grimes wrote:

    >> You should be definately (sic) sure:
    >>
    >> http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/xy.htm
    >>[/ref]
    > Greetings:
    > So what is the story Dave is this an answer or are you trying to cover
    > up your own ignorance?[/ref]

    If you bothered reading the site you would have seen that your assertion
    that "Solaris is not UNIX" was in error.

    Dave Guest

  20. #20

    On 2006-03-23, Rich Teer <com> wrote:
    >> Greetings:
    >> So what is the story Dave is this an answer or are you trying to cover
    >> up your own ignorance?[/ref]
    >
    > In point 3 of your post (quoted above), you assert that although "you're not
    > definately sure, Solaris is not UNIX either". The URL Dave provided shows
    > evidence that refutes your statement: if anything, it shows up YOUR ignorance
    > in this respect. Unless you're trying to make a point that elludes me at
    > present?
    >
    > Solaris has been UNIX certified for quite a few years now. (To the best of
    > my knowledge, you are correct in stating that Linux and FreeBSD are not UNIX.)[/ref]

    No, but they are unix. FreeBSD is unix a way some UNIXes aren't.
    Jordan Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast