Professional Web Applications Themes

Is world's slowest app any faster with Panther? - Mac Applications & Software

I love Apple Mail, but it is the slowest responding app I've ever used; is it any snappier with Panther? Thanks, Koen...

  1. #1

    Default Is world's slowest app any faster with Panther?

    I love Apple Mail, but it is the slowest responding app I've ever used;
    is it any snappier with Panther?

    Thanks,
    Koen
    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Is world's slowest app any faster with Panther?

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    "Steve K." <com> wrote:

    Do not know about Panther, but I had the same problem and then found
    that we had hundreds of E Mails left in the in, out and trash baskets.
    Cleaning up accelerated the opening a bit. But, the best thing is to
    just not quit the program. Simply close the box and leave it in RAM.

    Also, I have noticed that OS X.2.6 uses memory much differently than any
    OS 9.x and earlier. I have about ten programs (both OS X and Classic)
    living in RAM (type) memory including PhotoShop Elements and MS OfficxeX
    with no problem. and they all open very quickly. Never quit anything,
    just close the box.
    clw@oblivion.world Guest

  3. #3

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    "Steve K." <com> wrote:

    Before anyone can answer in a meaningful fashion, we have to know how
    slow is slow? Mail under Jaguar is certainly not the perkiest thing I've
    ever used, but it's not particularly slower than other mail programs
    I've used on a day to day basis in the last few years. Are there
    particular actions that you're concerned about? How long do they take?
    Gregory Guest

  4. #4

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    "Steve K." <com> wrote:

    How fast is your machine?
    I used Outlook Express on my G4 400, OS 9. It was dog slow.
    I then switched to Eudora and it was worlds faster.

    I'm using Mail on my new G4 1.25GHz, OS 10.2.8, and Mail seems very fast
    in opening the program, reading mail, switching between mailboxes etc.
    I have 259, 506, 257, and 152 messages in various saved folders.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

  5. #5

    In article <fu-berlin.de>, Charles
    Dilks <net> wrote:

    > How fast is your machine?
    > I used Outlook Express on my G4 400, OS 9. It was dog slow.
    > I then switched to Eudora and it was worlds faster.
    >
    > I'm using Mail on my new G4 1.25GHz, OS 10.2.8, and Mail seems very fast
    > in opening the program, reading mail, switching between mailboxes etc.
    > I have 259, 506, 257, and 152 messages in various saved folders.[/ref]

    This is an iceBook 600, w. 10.2.6. I guess I have maybe a thousand or
    so mails in various boxes. I really like the program and wouldn't use
    anything else, but it takes 2-4 seconds to switch boxes. When it's
    dl'ing new mail it is often so delayed it opens mail other than the ones
    clicked on. I've just never used an app this lethargic before, and I've
    been on Macs for 9 years, OS X since it came out.

    It's like Mail starts over from scratch with every move you make,
    rebuilding indexes, sorting, updating, "reading table of contents" etc.
    etc.

    There's a few other things that bother me about Mail: I often can't
    backspace to delete the quote bar character; and the selecting and
    scrolling doesn't work if the window opens positioned beyond the screen.

    By the way, Outlook Express is by far the most poorly designed app I've
    ever used. It's just a big sprawling piecemeal mess. A progress bar
    you can't bring to the front during progress! Just stunningly bad.
    One reason I like Mail (despite its minor flaws) so much.

    Koen
    Steve Guest

  6. #6

    In article <east.cox.net>,
    "Steve K." <com> wrote:

    The quote bar isn't a character like in most older-generation mail
    applications. to get rid of that quote bar on any line or selected
    lines press command-option-' (single quote). Each time you do, it
    reduces the quote level by one. To increase the quote level, BTW, press
    command-'

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  7. #7

    In article <east.cox.net>, "Steve K." <com> wrote:

    You've never used iDVD 3 then, I take it... ;-)

    --
    Jim Glidewell
    My opinions only

  8. #8

    In article <sdc.cs.boeing.com>,
    net (Jim Glidewell) wrote:

    > You've never used iDVD 3 then, I take it... ;-)[/ref]

    no, lol.
    Steve Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>, Michelle
    Steiner <org> wrote:

    > The quote bar isn't a character like in most older-generation mail
    > applications. to get rid of that quote bar on any line or selected
    > lines press command-option-' (single quote). Each time you do, it
    > reduces the quote level by one. To increase the quote level, BTW, press
    > command-'[/ref]

    Thanks Michelle. Wow, I wonder how many people actually know this...

    Koen
    Steve Guest