Professional Web Applications Themes

iSCSI (revisited?) - FreeBSD

All, I was wondering what people thought of iSCSI and FreeBSD. Is it a viable option for creating SANs? I want to move away from tape backups, and have numerous production FreeBSD machines that I need to back up data from. Any other ideas for a disk to disk backup solution that people have used? Thanks, Justin...

  1. #1

    Default iSCSI (revisited?)

    All,

    I was wondering what people thought of iSCSI and FreeBSD. Is it a viable
    option for creating SANs?

    I want to move away from tape backups, and have numerous production
    FreeBSD machines that I need to back up data from.

    Any other ideas for a disk to disk backup solution that people have used?

    Thanks,

    Justin

    Justin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iSCSI (revisited?)

    Justin Bennett wrote:

    For disk-to-disk backup take a look at BackupPC (don't let the name fool
    you it supports *nix clients). The nice thing about BackupPC is it
    does file pooling which saves *a lot* of space.

    John
    John Guest

  3. #3

    Justin Bennett wrote:

    You should check out rsnapshot. It does disk to disk backups either locally, or via ssh. I am using it to snapshot about 2TB of data to a 10TB (total) SAN, based on fiber channel. All FreeBSD backend, with assorted servers I'm backing up.

    Eric

    Eric Anderson Sr. Systems Administrator Centaur Technology
    A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.
    Eric Guest

  4. #4

    > All,
    refrase question.

    for one, it depends on how deep are your pockets, 2nd the size of your data.
    3rd how fast do you need to access the data, 4th from where, etc, etc, etc.

    We went the NAS/NFS route for most of our uses, and ONE application that has a
    huge database has a fiber channel link to the filer.

    The NAS is Raid4, with hot standbys, and we have not had a serious meltdown in
    years. Before NAS, we had to upgrade our servers, dump|restore, and the down
    times were getting larger, with the NAS, just add some disks, and no one
    is the wiser, life goes on.

    We still do tape backups, and move the tapes out of our premises just in case
    a major disaster hist us (someone misspoint a ICBM perhaps :-)

    having said all this, we are experimenting with iSCSI, and the numbers are
    not bad, about the same as NFS/NAS. Still, NFS is still our prefered
    solution.

    danny
    PS: AFAIK, there is only a iSCSI intitiator (beta), and no target for FreeBSD.

    Danny Guest

  5. #5