Professional Web Applications Themes

ISO 160 for Stylus Epic - Photography

Hi. I will be using my trusty ole Olympus Stylus Epic to take some outdoor summer shots of my family with New York City (Manhattan) as the background. If I use Konica Professional 160 film, will my P&S rate it at 100 or at 200? Will this be OK for this film? Do I need to tell the lab to push or pull? I want to try this film because of the extra fine grain. Or, would I be better off using a 100 speed film? Kodak only seems to make one 100 film...Gold. Does anyone know the latest grain ...

  1. #1

    Default ISO 160 for Stylus Epic

    Hi. I will be using my trusty ole Olympus Stylus Epic to take some outdoor
    summer shots of my family with New York City (Manhattan) as the background.
    If I use Konica Professional 160 film, will my P&S rate it at 100 or at 200?
    Will this be OK for this film? Do I need to tell the lab to push or pull?

    I want to try this film because of the extra fine grain. Or, would I be
    better off using a 100 speed film? Kodak only seems to make one 100
    film...Gold. Does anyone know the latest grain results for Gold 100? Is it
    still 45 on the Kodak scale? High Definition 400 (the new name for Royal
    Gold 400) is 39, and High Definition 200 (I've only seen it at B&H and
    Adorama...how the hell did they get it? It is not supposed to be out for 6
    months...and it only comes in 36 exposure rolls, HD400 comes only in 24 exp.
    rolls) is at 32.

    I have gotten good enlargements from my Stylus Epic with Gold 100. I want to
    try the Konica Pro 160 as a step up from Gold 100 if that makes sense. I
    would use Royal Gold 100, but they don't make it any more. Maybe AGFA Vista
    100?

    HELP!

    Polytone Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ISO 160 for Stylus Epic

    Fuji Reala 100. It is different than regular Superia 100.

    --
    "Polytone" <polytoneprodigy.net> wrote in message
    > I have gotten good enlargements from my Stylus Epic with Gold 100. I want
    > try the Konica Pro 160 as a step up from Gold 100 if that makes sense. I
    > would use Royal Gold 100, but they don't make it any more. Maybe AGFA
    Vista
    > 100?

    StillMan Guest

  3. #3

    Polytone wrote:
    > Hi. I will be using my trusty ole Olympus Stylus Epic to take some outdoor
    > summer shots of my family with New York City (Manhattan) as the background.
    > If I use Konica Professional 160 film, will my P&S rate it at 100 or at 200?

    From the following page: DX coding will be interpreted thusly

    the following possibilities can be sensed:
    ISO/ASA Squares Other Speeds Which Will Be Read As This

    25 Silv Blk Blk Blk 32, 40
    50 Silv Silv Blk Blk 64, 80
    100 Silv Blk Silv Blk 125, 160
    200 Silv Silv Silv Blk 250, 320
    400 Silv Blk Blk Silv 500, 640
    800 Silv Silv Blk Silv 1000, 1250
    1600 Silv Blk Silv Silv 2000, 2500
    3200 Silv Silv Silv Silv 4000, 5000

    [url]http://www.photo.net/olympus/mjuII[/url]

    mike

    mike II Guest

  4. #4

    Polytone wrote:

    > Hi. I will be using my trusty ole Olympus Stylus Epic to take some outdoor
    > summer shots of my family with New York City (Manhattan) as the background.
    > If I use Konica Professional 160 film, will my P&S rate it at 100 or at 200?
    > Will this be OK for this film? Do I need to tell the lab to push or pull?
    AIR, couldn't find my manual, the OSL reads something like 50 up in full
    stop DX codes.

    I believe you 160 will be read as 100 and exposed accordingly.

    For a C-41 film you shouldn't notice anything from the difference.
    Maybe the grain will look a little finer and you will pick up a little
    more shaddow detail.

    > I want to try this film because of the extra fine grain. Or, would I be
    > better off using a 100 speed film? Kodak only seems to make one 100
    > film...Gold. Does anyone know the latest grain results for Gold 100? Is it
    > still 45 on the Kodak scale? High Definition 400 (the new name for Royal
    > Gold 400) is 39, and High Definition 200 (I've only seen it at B&H and
    > Adorama...how the hell did they get it? It is not supposed to be out for 6
    > months...and it only comes in 36 exposure rolls, HD400 comes only in 24 exp.
    > rolls) is at 32.
    You will have to do your own tests to find out what suits you.
    Grain is kind of a personal issue.

    B&H imports a lot of film on its own.
    Manufacture release dates or release vary from country to country.

    > I have gotten good enlargements from my Stylus Epic with Gold 100. I want to
    > try the Konica Pro 160 as a step up from Gold 100 if that makes sense. I
    > would use Royal Gold 100, but they don't make it any more. Maybe AGFA Vista
    > 100?
    It may or may not. GC and KP160 are vary different emulsions designed
    for very different purposes.

    Agfa Vista 100 is also an entirely different animal, you may or may not
    like it.

    Also, the films you mention look very in looks whether you have them
    printed on Fuji, Kodak or Agfa equipment / paper.
    Again you will have to do your own tests. At $7 to $15 a roll it is a
    cost, but it is the only way to find what you really like.

    Boycott list:

    Belgium, France, Germany, Finland, Sweden, Switzerland, China, Iran,
    Syria,
    Hollywood, San Francisco, Massachusetts, New York City, Sierra Club,
    ACLU,
    Movies of the first blacklist, Turner, Madonna, S. Crowe, Dixie Chicks,
    Cher, U2, rapp,
    Trudeau, Wiley, Disney, ABC news, CBS news, NBC news, CNN, PBS,

    Sometimes the only influence you have is to say, "No, I'm not buying."
    Ron Todd Guest

  5. #5

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 13:32:34 -0700, Ron Todd <rltoddix.netcom.com>
    wrote:
    >Polytone wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi. I will be using my trusty ole Olympus Stylus Epic to take some outdoor
    >> summer shots of my family with New York City (Manhattan) as the background.
    >> If I use Konica Professional 160 film, will my P&S rate it at 100 or at 200?
    >> Will this be OK for this film? Do I need to tell the lab to push or pull?
    >
    >AIR, couldn't find my manual, the OSL reads something like 50 up in full
    >stop DX codes.
    I found mine (after a great deal of rummaging around...) and it lists
    ASA 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600 & 3200, but no intermediate speeds.
    >I believe you 160 will be read as 100 and exposed accordingly.
    I think you're right. The manual does say that any non-coded film, or
    film rated at less than ASA 50, will result in the speed being set to
    100. As this is probably just another way of saying that any code it
    doesn't recognise will set the camera to 100, that's probably what it
    will do if it comes across a 160 coded film.
    Andrew Price Guest

  6. #6

    > I believe you 160 will be read as 100 and exposed accordingly.
    >
    > For a C-41 film you shouldn't notice anything from the difference.
    > Maybe the grain will look a little finer and you will pick up a little
    > more shaddow detail.

    So my Stylus Epic would read a 160 film as 100 and it will HELP my photos?

    Polytone Guest

  7. #7

    Polytone wrote:

    > > I believe you 160 will be read as 100 and exposed accordingly.
    > >
    > > For a C-41 film you shouldn't notice anything from the difference.
    > > Maybe the grain will look a little finer and you will pick up a little
    > > more shaddow detail.
    > >

    > So my Stylus Epic would read a 160 film as 100 and it will HELP my photos?
    After testing about six years ago, I always rate Fuji NPS at 100 and have
    it developed normally. At 160, I found it flat, at 100 I like it.

    Bill Jameson
    Bill Jameson Guest