Professional Web Applications Themes

ISO Equivalant and Digital Images - Photography

Does anyone have digital images posted that were taken of the same scenes with different ISO equivalent settings? And what tips, techniques, tricks do you have using the setting? I've read that higher ISO settings present more visual noise in the image...could it be used for the same artistic effect one might achieve with high speed grainy film? Or is the effect different? I'll be experimenting with this setting as soon as my new camera gets here but I wondered what other's experience is. Thanks. Will Niccolls...

  1. #1

    Default ISO Equivalant and Digital Images

    Does anyone have digital images posted that were taken of the same scenes
    with different ISO equivalent settings?

    And what tips, techniques, tricks do you have using the setting? I've read
    that higher ISO settings present more visual noise in the image...could it
    be used for the same artistic effect one might achieve with high speed
    grainy film? Or is the effect different?

    I'll be experimenting with this setting as soon as my new camera gets here
    but I wondered what other's experience is.

    Thanks.

    Will Niccolls

    Will Niccolls Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: ISO Equivalant and Digital Images

    "Will Niccolls" <no1all.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have digital images posted that were taken of the same scenes
    > with different ISO equivalent settings?
    >
    > And what tips, techniques, tricks do you have using the setting? I've
    read
    > that higher ISO settings present more visual noise in the image...could it
    > be used for the same artistic effect one might achieve with high speed
    > grainy film? Or is the effect different?
    If I wanted to get this effect, I'd do it with image-editing software.
    Paint Shop Pro, as one example, can add noise to an image. The advantage of
    this method is that you control the parameters.

    > I'll be experimenting with this setting as soon as my new camera gets here
    > but I wondered what other's experience is.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Will Niccolls

    Marvin Margoshes Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 15:31:12 GMT, "Will Niccolls" <no1all.com> wrote:
    >Does anyone have digital images posted that were taken of the same scenes
    >with different ISO equivalent settings?
    I did this when I got my 1D just to see the difference and to find the
    break off point of good, acceptable, and not so good. With my 1D
    100-400 is good, 800 is just a little worse than 400 but still good.
    1600 is acceptable considering that if you are using it you probably
    had some pretty bad light. 3200 can be pretty bad but, then again, if
    you are using it you probably need it.
    >And what tips, techniques, tricks do you have using the setting? I've read
    >that higher ISO settings present more visual noise in the image...could it
    >be used for the same artistic effect one might achieve with high speed
    >grainy film? Or is the effect different?
    You could use it to achieve that effect but you might be better off
    using a noise filter of some kind after shooting it. It'll give you
    the same effect and you'll be able to control it. If you shoot at 3200
    you can't get better while if you shoot at 400 you can make noise 'til
    your hearts content.
    >I'll be experimenting with this setting as soon as my new camera gets here
    >but I wondered what other's experience is.
    >
    >Thanks.
    >
    >Will Niccolls
    Good luck,

    Mike

    [url]http://www.newsfeed.com[/url] The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    Michael Stevens Guest

  4. #4

    I've seen it as an effect for doing B&W grainy images at high ISO from a
    digicam - the advantage being not having to use the flash with the higher
    ISO. The pictures are not the best for color prints, but give it a nice look
    for B&W.

    "Will Niccolls" <no1all.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have digital images posted that were taken of the same scenes
    > with different ISO equivalent settings?
    >
    > And what tips, techniques, tricks do you have using the setting? I've
    read
    > that higher ISO settings present more visual noise in the image...could it
    > be used for the same artistic effect one might achieve with high speed
    > grainy film? Or is the effect different?
    >
    > I'll be experimenting with this setting as soon as my new camera gets here
    > but I wondered what other's experience is.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Will Niccolls

    Chris Hoopes Guest