Professional Web Applications Themes

istD vs. istDs - Photography

Happy New Year! I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I know that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs offer any advantages that would offset this? Thanks for you input, Dave -- There's a fine line between stupid and clever....

  1. #1

    Default istD vs. istDs

    --
    There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
    Dave Devine Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: istD vs. istDs

    In article <1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%dave_devinespamcop.net> ,
    Dave Devine <dave_devinespamcop.net> wrote:
    >Happy New Year!
    >
    >I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I know
    >that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs offer
    >any advantages that would offset this?
    >
    >Thanks for you input,
    >
    >Dave
    From memory:

    o Larger rear LCD screen

    o Much better ergonomic design of the 4-way/OK switch

    o USB 2.0 connection

    o Better options for review (instant histogram, over-exposure indication)

    Plus several more "gimmick" options (in-camera digital filters,
    multiple different auto-program modes, etc.)

    None of these, *for me*, would overcome the biggest drawback of
    the *ist-DS; only a single control wheel (so in manual exposure
    mode you have to push a button as well as turn a wheel to set
    one of the parameters). I have been a big fan of the Pentax
    Hyper-Program mode ever since I got a PZ-1p, and was very glad
    to see it on the *ist-D. My camera spends most of its time in
    either Hyper-Program or Manual exposure mode, so I look for a
    camera that fits my style of shooting.

    There's also a suggestion that the last-mentioned *ist-DS plus,
    the improved review capabilities, may be addressed in a firmware
    upgrade to the *ist-D. I'm not sure I believe that, but it is
    at least a theoretical possibility.

    John Francis Guest

  3. #3

    "Dave Devine" <dave_devinespamcop.net> wrote in message
    news:1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%dave_devinespamcop.ne t...
    > Happy New Year!
    >
    > I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I know
    > that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs offer
    > any advantages that would offset this?

    You can go to [url]http://www.dpreview.com[/url] and use their side-by-side comparison
    chart. Several features on the DS are improvements.

    Darrell Guest

  4. #4

    [email]dave_devinespamcop.net[/email] (Dave Devine) wrote in news:1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%
    [email]dave_devinespamcop.net[/email]:
    > I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I know
    > that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs offer
    > any advantages that would offset this?
    There are several advantages with DS.
    Look at dpreview.

    But - as far as I understand - the DS is designed for
    more causial use. This means some irritating stuff
    where you have added program modes instead of more
    serious handling. The bright mode is one such stupid
    thing. It might look better when printing small
    pictures directly from the camera - but it destroys
    all serious usage of the picture.

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest

  5. #5

    Darrell <nospam.here> wrote:
    > "Dave Devine" <dave_devinespamcop.net> wrote in message
    > news:1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%dave_devinespamcop.ne t...
    > > Happy New Year!
    > >
    > > I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I know
    > > that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs offer
    > > any advantages that would offset this?
    > >
    > You can go to [url]http://www.dpreview.com[/url] and use their side-by-side comparison
    > chart. Several features on the DS are improvements.
    Hi Darrell,

    I thought of that after posting. I guess I have to decide whether I
    would actually make much use of the features on the D missing on the DS,
    i.e. additional stored user settings, WB, etc. John Francis pointed out
    the larger screen and better review/histogram features on the DS.

    All in all not a bad dilemma to be facing.

    Dave

  6. #6

    Roland Karlsson <roland_dot_karlssonbonetmail.com> wrote:
    > [email]dave_devinespamcop.net[/email] (Dave Devine) wrote in news:1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%
    > [email]dave_devinespamcop.net[/email]:
    >
    > > I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I know
    > > that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs offer
    > > any advantages that would offset this?
    >
    > There are several advantages with DS.
    > Look at dpreview.
    >
    > But - as far as I understand - the DS is designed for
    > more causial use. This means some irritating stuff
    > where you have added program modes instead of more
    > serious handling. The bright mode is one such stupid
    > thing. It might look better when printing small
    > pictures directly from the camera - but it destroys
    > all serious usage of the picture.
    >

    > /Roland
    Hi Roland,

    That is another aspect that I have to consider - the D gives me more
    room to "grow", but the DS with its picture modes may be enough. I have
    been happily taking photos with a Canon Pro70 - I just miss the
    telephoto capability I have with my ME-Super (thus the interest in a
    istD or DS).

    Dave

  7. #7

    John Francis wrote:
    > In article <1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%dave_devinespamcop.net> ,
    > Dave Devine <dave_devinespamcop.net> wrote:
    >> Happy New Year!
    >> I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I
    >> know that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the
    >> istDs offer any advantages that would offset this?
    >> Thanks for you input,
    >> Dave
    > From memory:
    > o Larger rear LCD screen
    > o Much better ergonomic design of the 4-way/OK switch
    > o USB 2.0 connection
    > o Better options for review (instant histogram, over-exposure
    > indication)
    > Plus several more "gimmick" options (in-camera digital filters,
    > multiple different auto-program modes, etc.)
    > None of these, *for me*, would overcome the biggest drawback of
    > the *ist-DS; only a single control wheel (so in manual exposure
    > mode you have to push a button as well as turn a wheel to set
    > one of the parameters). I have been a big fan of the Pentax
    > Hyper-Program mode ever since I got a PZ-1p, and was very glad
    > to see it on the *ist-D. My camera spends most of its time in
    > either Hyper-Program or Manual exposure mode, so I look for a
    > camera that fits my style of shooting.
    >
    > There's also a suggestion that the last-mentioned *ist-DS plus,
    > the improved review capabilities, may be addressed in a firmware
    > upgrade to the *ist-D. I'm not sure I believe that, but it is
    > at least a theoretical possibility.
    Go here: [url]http://www.steves-digicams.com/cameras_digpro.html[/url]
    to compare the both.

    I have the *st D and it suits my needs qutie nicely.
    The *ist DS uses SD cards as opposed to the *ist D that uses CF cards and
    Micro Drives. I bought the battery grip that not only let you add 4 more
    batteries but also because it fits better in my hands. I'm not sure if it
    fits on the DS. If had was offered the *istD for the same price of the DS,
    I'd go for the D.

    My 2 cents.

    Gaderian Guest

  8. #8

    "Dave Devine" <dave_devinespamcop.net> wrote in message
    news:1gpsas6.syky5kz1z3eoN%dave_devinespamcop.net ...
    > Darrell <nospam.here> wrote:
    >
    > > "Dave Devine" <dave_devinespamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > news:1gps68u.1540e5k7u3u9gN%dave_devinespamcop.ne t...
    > > > Happy New Year!
    > > >
    > > > I have the chance to get an istD for the same price as the istDs. I
    know
    > > > that the istD has the advantage of hyper mode, but does the istDs
    offer
    > > > any advantages that would offset this?
    > > >
    > > You can go to [url]http://www.dpreview.com[/url] and use their side-by-side
    comparison
    > > chart. Several features on the DS are improvements.
    >
    > Hi Darrell,
    >
    > I thought of that after posting. I guess I have to decide whether I
    > would actually make much use of the features on the D missing on the DS,
    > i.e. additional stored user settings, WB, etc. John Francis pointed out
    > the larger screen and better review/histogram features on the DS.
    >
    > All in all not a bad dilemma to be facing.

    The DS is not very stripped compared to the Digital Rebel vs. 10D. I use the
    PC sync terminal (isolated) when I use studio flash.

    Darrell Guest

  9. #9

    [email]dave_devinespamcop.net[/email] (Dave Devine) wrote in news:1gpsb07.k32qvilv4g14N%
    [email]dave_devinespamcop.net[/email]:
    > That is another aspect that I have to consider - the D gives me more
    > room to "grow", but the DS with its picture modes may be enough. I have
    > been happily taking photos with a Canon Pro70 - I just miss the
    > telephoto capability I have with my ME-Super (thus the interest in a
    > istD or DS).

    That is probably right. Somewhat irritating for me though.
    I plan to buy an ist DS. But frankly - I am an oldie that just
    hates when you add we-have-thought-for-you-program-nonsens
    when photography technically really is much simpler than that.

    If I set my Canon G2 in panorama mode (which is a reasonable mode
    as otherwise you must expose manually and turn off white balance)
    then most of the settings from program mode is removed, e.g metering
    mode and raw format.

    What the #%# has panorama mode to do with any other settings
    than locking exposure and white balance during all pictures?
    And why the %# does not panorama mode work in portrait mode?
    Why not remove this #%#% toy mode from a serious camera,
    or do it right if you add it?

    /Roland
    Roland Karlsson Guest