Professional Web Applications Themes

It is possible to write a console application with the SDK? - Adobe Acrobat SDK

I seem to recall that the doentation mentions that it is possible to write regular applications based on the SDK. So far, I have used it to develop plugins and IAC modules (which are plugins, too). In addition to the above, I have a need to write simple utilities, which are currently based on 3rd. party libraries (PDFTron's PDFNet is specially good for this). Which brings me to my question. I would like to convert those apps and develop new ones, based on the Acrobat SDK whenever I can. The part in which I could use tips & hints is ...

  1. #1

    Default It is possible to write a console application with the SDK?

    I seem to recall that the doentation mentions that it is possible to write regular applications based on the SDK. So far, I have used it to develop plugins and IAC modules (which are plugins, too).

    In addition to the above, I have a need to write simple utilities, which are currently based on 3rd. party libraries (PDFTron's PDFNet is specially good for this).

    Which brings me to my question. I would like to convert those apps and develop new ones, based on the Acrobat SDK whenever I can.

    The part in which I could use tips & hints is simply how to open a PDF file. I have found some functions which seem the appropriate ones but given their complexity (I have to specify a file system, etc.) it is best that I ask for help from experienced users.

    Opening a file should be a matter solved with one or two lines, correct?

    TIA,

    -Ramon
    RamonHerrera@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    do you want an AVDoc or a PDDoc? AVDocOpen and PDDocOpen are your calls - and there are MANY examples of both in teh SDK.

    However, back to your question - you can certainly have a CLI-based app call on Acrobat via IAC methods - but Acrobat is still present...
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your kind assistance, Leonard.

    The utility that I have is currently based on PDFNet, but I have decided to use Adobe software whenever technically and legally possible, and therefore would like to rewrite it.

    The functionality of the utility is conceptually quite simple. Its job is to dump the contents of the Info dictionary, and I will add the ability to dump the XMP tree as well.

    Do I want an AVDoc or a PDDoc? Good question...

  4. #4

    [Ramon wants to write a metadata dumper]

    [Leonard:]

    Do you want an AVDoc or a PDDoc?

    Since Acrobat is not going to be necessarily running and hence I don't care about rendering issues, I guess PDDoc is my man?

    -RFH
    RamonHerrera@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Since Acrobat is not going to be necessarily running

    Acrobat is always running if you are using SDK methods - the leverage Acrobat for that. It may not be visible on the taskbar, but an Acrobat.exe process is always running when you are leveraging the SDK.

    If you're writing something command-line and you don't want Acrobat to be visible, then yes - use the PD-layer instead of the AV-layer.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    you can certainly have a CLI-based app call on Acrobat via IAC methods
    - but Acrobat is still present...

    One of the things that I like about 3rd. party libraries such as PDFlib and PDFNet is that they pretty much run on any operating system known to man.

    I suppose the Acrobat SDK can run on Linux, which is one of my target platforms, besides Windows. I would like to be able to run my CLI utilities on both OSs.

    When you say "Acrobat is still present" are you including the Linux case? For my CLI utilities, do I need only the SDK or will I need Acrobat to be installed as well?

    This brings the issue of legality. I am told (by you, most likely) that running a server program is against the license, and that should be obvious and clear. It seems to me that a CLI utility is not a server in any sense of the term (it just happens to be executed manually on my Linux server), and should be allowed.

  7. #7

    I suppose the Acrobat SDK can run on Linux, which is one of my target
    platforms, besides Windows.

    No, it can't because there a no longer versions of Acrobat for Linux.

    The SDK is just a collection of headers, doentation and samples. The integration actually happens with Acrobat. A copy of Acrobat must be installed locally on client machines in order for Acrobat SDK applications to run - this is not just for plug-ins, this is for IAC as well.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    If you want a cross-platform library that can be used without Acrobat - that would be the Adobe PDFLibrary...
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest