Professional Web Applications Themes

iTrip or iTripe? - Mac Applications & Software

I purchased an iTrip while in San Francisco at the Apple WWDC (at end of June) for use in the UK where, as far as I know, they are not available. My experience was that it had a maximum range of about 3 ft and the method they use for changing the frequency simply does not work. The device appears to draw all it power from the stereo jack. Before I purchased it, I assumed it took power from the Firewire socket, but there are no connections. This implies that the power output is limited by the audio output, which ...

  1. #1

    Default iTrip or iTripe?

    I purchased an iTrip while in San Francisco at the Apple WWDC (at end
    of June) for use in the UK where, as far as I know, they are not
    available. My experience was that it had a maximum range of about 3 ft
    and the method they use for changing the frequency simply does not
    work.

    The device appears to draw all it power from the stereo jack. Before I
    purchased it, I assumed it took power from the Firewire socket, but
    there are no connections. This implies that the power output is
    limited by the audio output, which it must convert to DC. This is a
    bit worrying because an FM signal is constant amplitude so I dont know
    it copes with low audio signal levels. On mine it doesnt seem to cope
    at all.

    The upshot is that the device is of no use in a car - my primary need
    - where unless you can position the iPod right next to the antenna.

    The method they use to change the transmission frequency is to supply
    a lot of MP3 files with tune names of the desired frequency (e.g.
    97.5). When you "play" the tune with the iTrip connected, it decodes
    the tunes as a special instruction to change the frequency. Although
    the light flashed indicating something was happening, it failed to
    change the frequency.

    I mailed Griffiin support but not had a reply (as yet). My advice is
    not to buy one of these devices, or if you do try out the one you are
    thinking of buying. It could be that mine has a fault , but I suspect
    the range specs are vastly overoptimistic. It may be that the ruling
    FCC limits on radiation in the FM band are simply not sufficient. The
    iTrip is a good idea in principle because you can use the iPod in in
    hire cars or other peoples house without pulling their systems apart.
    In practice it doesnt seem to work well enough to be of any use.
    John P Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iTrip or iTripe?

    In article <2a799bb3.0307161307.5da219ddposting.google.com >,
    [email]john_googlejpy.com[/email] (John P) wrote:
    > I purchased an iTrip while in San Francisco at the Apple WWDC (at end
    > of June) for use in the UK where, as far as I know, they are not
    > available. My experience was that it had a maximum range of about 3 ft
    > and the method they use for changing the frequency simply does not
    > work.
    I've done 3 metres (out of the alleged 10...haven't tried further)
    without issue. The tuning mechanism has not failed for me.

    > The device appears to draw all it power from the stereo jack. Before I
    > purchased it, I assumed it took power from the Firewire socket, but
    > there are no connections. This implies that the power output is
    > limited by the audio output, which it must convert to DC.
    No. Look carefully at the connection. There's an additional line that is
    specifically intended to support power transmission.
    > This is a bit worrying because an FM signal is constant amplitude so
    > I dont know it copes with low audio signal levels. On mine it doesnt
    > seem to cope at all.
    That may be part of the problem you had tuning. I found that for the
    iTrip to work reliably (and this is doented) I had to set the volume
    to a much higher level than is comfortable with earphones.

    > The method they use to change the transmission frequency is to supply
    > a lot of MP3 files with tune names of the desired frequency (e.g.
    > 97.5). When you "play" the tune with the iTrip connected, it decodes
    > the tunes as a special instruction to change the frequency. Although
    > the light flashed indicating something was happening, it failed to
    > change the frequency.
    You also have to stop playback (again, as doented) when the light
    starts flashing. The tuning tracks start with a sequence that tells the
    iTrip to change the frequency, but finish with a sequence that tells it
    to cancel the tuning request. The change doesn't take if it hears the
    cancel signal within several seconds. This is protection against
    unintentionally playing one of the tuning tracks.

    Gregory Weston Guest