Professional Web Applications Themes

iTunes - port/firewall/etc. requirements? - Mac Applications & Software

Hiya, I've bought a lot of tracks from iTunes since it started. After a dry spell, I tried buying a few more over the past few weeks. When I try checking out from the shopping cart, I get this message: "The iTunes Music Store is unable to process purchases at this time. Credit card processing is temporarily unavilable. You may continue to browse the store. Please try to make your purchase later." I'm up to four things in my cart -- and I've tried turning off the cart and purchasing them individually -- and still no go. Since "later" is ...

  1. #1

    Default iTunes - port/firewall/etc. requirements?

    Hiya,

    I've bought a lot of tracks from iTunes since it started. After a dry
    spell, I tried buying a few more over the past few weeks. When I try
    checking out from the shopping cart, I get this message:

    "The iTunes Music Store is unable to process purchases at this time.
    Credit card processing is temporarily unavilable. You may continue to
    browse the store. Please try to make your purchase later."

    I'm up to four things in my cart -- and I've tried turning off the cart
    and purchasing them individually -- and still no go. Since "later" is
    looking like "never," I'm not going to bother adding more stuff to my
    cart, thanks, Apple. ;-)

    They've been pretty unhelpful, so I'm hoping (after some rambling
    background) that someone here could help me. First, "The iTunes Music
    Store Team" <com> said:

    "We have verified that the Music Store's credit card processing is
    functioning correctly and should not cause any issues. Occasionally
    having a Firewall or Proxy setting enabled can effect your ability to
    connect to The Music Store. Please contact your System Administrator or
    Internet Service Provider for assistance configuring your network."

    I wrote back that I had the MacOS X firewall turned on (it would be
    silly if iTunes didn't work with Apple's own firewall...), and that I
    was a home DSL user, so I had no system administrator. And I asked for
    more information/help. How can I fix my supposedly-problematical
    firewall/proxy settings, if they don't tell me what iTunes requires?!

    They "escalated [my] report to Music Store engineering"...but the
    response I got was from the same e-mail address (com),
    and I was told:

    "We have reviewed your account information and have found no issues that
    would prevent you from using or accessing the Music Store. Should you
    continue to experience difficulty with your connection, you may need to
    troubleshoot your network connection locally or contact your internet
    service provider. We apologize for the inconvenience."

    Again, they give no information. If iTunes is the only thing that
    doesn't work -- and only when I try to *buy* something -- and the only
    error iTunes gives implies that something's down on their end -- then
    how the heck do they expect me to troubleshoot anything?! And as I told
    Apple, I think Covad would laugh in my face if I called up and said, "I
    can't buy anything through iTunes any more and they blamed you...no,
    they didn't give any clues as to what you or I might be doing wrong...."

    Sooooooo, does anyone know which ports iTunes requires in order to
    purchase music? Any special features that should or should not be
    enabled on a DSL router or in MacOS X (10.2.8, 704 MB RAM, 2.73 GB free
    hard drive space, iTunes 4.0.1 [117])? I tried disabling the MacOS X
    firewall, and a variety of firewallish features on my LinkSys DSL
    router, but nothing helped, so I turned it all back on. ;-)

    Or...any other ideas as to what could be wrong on my end, or at my
    ISP...that could make it impossible to purchase music?

    Thanks in advance!
    Kendall

    --
    Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
    kendall---^^^^^^^

    Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
    I do read the groups to which I post!
    Kendall Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iTunes - port/firewall/etc. requirements?

    Well the 10.2.8 update broke a lot of things in a lot of people's computers.
    Do you have another startup disk running an earlier OS?

    Steve = : ^ )

    Steve Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BB9A4048.1B9C3%thing>,
    "Steve B." <thing> wrote:

    No. I did see a suggestion (not related to my purchase problem in
    iTunes) on MacCentral to do an archive & install back to Jaguar and then
    apply updates through to 10.2.6...but it seems a bit extreme...which is
    why I'm hoping to get some kind of information somewhere about what
    iTunes requires.

    (I've posted a similar question on Apple's discussion boards, but since
    they're user-to-user and read by far fewer people than this newsgroup
    appears to be, I'm hoping Usenet will once again save the day. ;-)

    But I'll keep this in mind. I don't want to reinstall the OS just in
    *case* it fixes the problem...a bit extreme just so I can buy four
    songs, heh...but I might be able to find a second hard drive to install
    and put Jaguar on.

    I'm curious as to whether anyone else has had this problem. (No one in
    Apple's forums had this precise problem, but it looks like there have
    been other issues of late. I wonder if Apple recently broke the iTunes
    Music Store without realizing it? ;-)

    Thanks,
    Kendall

  4. #4

    In article <his.com>,
    "Kendall P. Bullen" <com> wrote:

    This won't help except perhaps to confirm that misery loves company.
    You aren't the only one who has run headlong into Apple Computer's "It's
    not my fault." customer service (sic). After about nine months going
    back and forth with them about a hardware problem I was having, and
    giving them clear evidence (by substituting the problematic part with a
    number of others) they finally threw up their hands and said in effect,
    "No one else has complained about this. Therefore it's not our fault
    and we're not about to do anything about it."

    I have my talking alerts set to Random with one of the alerts being, you
    guessed it, "It's not my fault.", just it ensure I don't forget.
    Bill Guest

  5. #5

    Kendall P. Bullen wrote:

    You browse the store using HTTP, the actual purchase is HTTPS and the
    download is HTTP. Just verified it in my firewall logs by purchasing a
    song....

    jsg

    Jeffrey Guest

  6. #6

    << > Sooooooo, does anyone know which ports iTunes requires in order to

    You say you are using OSX 10.2.8, isn't that the version that was pulled from
    distribution for a variety of network problems? Have you tried using an earlier
    version of the system software?
    Mac
    MacKerr Guest