Professional Web Applications Themes

iTunes storage - Mac Applications & Software

I recently purchased a new 200 GB external hard drive to store my iTunes Music folder (previously stored on my 40 GB internal drive, which had become totally overloaded). I made a duplicate of my Music folder on the new drive using Retrospect. I then changed the location of my iTunes Music Library in my iTunes prefes (Advanced section) to show the new location on my new HD. However, I now find that this only affects NEW songs; the "songs already imported stay in their current location (iTune Help)." It seems I now have to do a "find" on every ...

  1. #1

    Default iTunes storage

    I recently purchased a new 200 GB external hard drive to store my
    iTunes Music folder (previously stored on my 40 GB internal drive,
    which had become totally overloaded). I made a duplicate of my Music
    folder on the new drive using Retrospect. I then changed the location
    of my iTunes Music Library in my iTunes prefes (Advanced section) to
    show the new location on my new HD. However, I now find that this only
    affects NEW songs; the "songs already imported stay in their current
    location (iTune Help)." It seems I now have to do a "find" on every
    song (I have over 4000 songs) which is a real pain.

    Is there any way I can direct iTunes to read the songs on my new drive
    (either some Terminal script or other finder trick)? Some help here
    MUCH appreciated.

    Thanks
    Julian Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iTunes storage

    In article <030920031317192774%ca>,
    Julian <ca> wrote:

    Did a similar thing recently without problems. Have you tried
    'Consolidate Library...' ?

    --
    Tim
    GSF600S BOTAFOT#90 IS200 PowerBook G4 BFMUG#100 | Remove the chipmunk

  3. #3

    In article <030920031317192774%ca>,
    Julian <ca> wrote:

    Confronted with a similar situation, I just used the "Add to Library"
    item from the File menu and selected the "foreign" music folder.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    Julian <ca> writes:

    First off, as was already mentioned, try using "Consolidate
    library". The path to each audio file is stored in the iTunes index,
    so the program is probably still looking there. Consolidation will
    cause iTunes to copy all your songs to the new location.

    Actually, you probably don't even have to manually move anything to
    do it this way. Just change the iTunes Music folder and
    re-consolidate. Then trash the old folder after everything is copied.

    If that fails, another way is to blank the Library, and then drag
    a folder containing the songs onto the iTunes window. It will import
    everything (creating a playlist for each sub-folder.) When you're
    done, just get rid of the auto-created playlists. Of course, if you
    had any customized playlists, they would get lost using this method.

    Normally, simply draggng the files to a new location doesn't break
    the links that iTunes uses. But this probably doesn't work if you
    drag to a different drive, and it definitely won't work if you use a
    backup/restore process (the way you did), since both of those methods
    end up creating new files.

    -- David
    David Guest

  5. #5

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    > I'll second Julian's "consolidate" suggestion. Failing that, you could
    > always just clear the master playlist and rediscover everything via
    > fresh import.[/ref]

    You may lose ID3 info this way. I did.

    --
    Reverend Paul

    Zorak: That lady mantis... wasn't really a lady.
    Space Ghost: Not really a lady? Huh? Then she must have been... Wait!
    You were digging on a dude?
    Zorak: It's not what you think. Carl is part of a male mantis
    resistance movement that intercedes at the moment when the
    urge is the worst. He lured me back to his nest, where we ate
    barbeque and talked sports until the urge had passed. He...
    saved my life, and for that, I will always be grateful.
    Space Ghost: What a remarkable story! I wonder who owns the movie rights.
    Zorak: Ted Turner.
    Paul Guest

  6. #6

    In article <invalid>, com (David C.)
    wrote:

    > First off, as was already mentioned, try using "Consolidate
    > library". The path to each audio file is stored in the iTunes index,
    > so the program is probably still looking there. Consolidation will
    > cause iTunes to copy all your songs to the new location.
    >
    > Actually, you probably don't even have to manually move anything to
    > do it this way. Just change the iTunes Music folder and
    > re-consolidate. Then trash the old folder after everything is copied.
    >
    > If that fails, another way is to blank the Library, and then drag
    > a folder containing the songs onto the iTunes window. It will import
    > everything (creating a playlist for each sub-folder.) When you're
    > done, just get rid of the auto-created playlists. Of course, if you
    > had any customized playlists, they would get lost using this method.
    >
    > Normally, simply draggng the files to a new location doesn't break
    > the links that iTunes uses. But this probably doesn't work if you
    > drag to a different drive, and it definitely won't work if you use a
    > backup/restore process (the way you did), since both of those methods
    > end up creating new files.
    >
    > -- David[/ref]
    I too just want to move my existing data MP3 files to another drive and
    keep my existing playlists functioning. There seems to be no way to bulk
    update playlists(keep playlists functioning) for an entire folder of MP3
    data files moved to another drive.

    I desire to move my existing MP3 songs to another location (on another
    drive). I have about 1500 songs approximately 6.7GB that I want to move
    off the boot drive to gain space for applications. I have extensive
    playlists that I have tediously made over a years time also that I don't
    want to lose. I really don't want to have to FIND each and every song
    over again in my existing playlists.

    ==============
    General summary of only options that work

    You are probably right about just moving the data files (song files)
    around on the same drive (boot drive) continuing to work with playlist
    links intact. I think I did that early on with fewer files and it still
    worked.

    If you move your song data MP3 files location to another drive, the only
    way to do it, is start with empty default playlists, and add the entire
    folder of your data MP3 files to iTunes and make new playlists or
    tediously FIND each and every song via GET/SAVE dialog boxes for your
    old existing playlists.

    Copying your playlists file over (in iTunes 4 Music Library) to anew
    location does not work as links are broken (the path data is no longer
    correct).

    ===============
    Boring details & comments
    stuff that doesn't work and is hard coded in paths & links

    The playlist data is hard coded into the ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes 4 Music
    Library file. If you could edit this file and update the path data,
    existing playlists would still work. But format is unknown. I tried a
    simple edit and it did not work. A more thorough intensive effort at
    editing would be required.

    My understanding (somewhat verified by some early mistakes when I first
    started using iTunes and moved the files) is that iTunes wants to store
    by default the music data files in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music on your
    boot drive.

    I had my music files in a separate folder on the boot drive and iTunes
    set to not copy the files to the music folder when added to iTunes.

    The playlists data is stored in index files (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes 4
    Music Library for my iTunes 4.0 application). I examined briefly the
    contents of the index files and they contained hard coded paths to the
    location of each song file.

    When I had early on moved the location (to different drive) of the MP3
    files themselves I lost the playlists everytime and all songs had to be
    FOUND individually.

    I think using CONSOLIDATE will only copy the MP3 files from your
    specified location to the default location iTunes wants (your
    ~/Music/iTunes/ iTunes Music on your boot drive). At least I think it
    works that way.

    If I move my existing 1500 files to another drive, and use CONSOLIDATE,
    it will copy them back to the ~/Music/iTunes/ Music Library location on
    the boot drive.

    If I move the 1500 MP3 files to another drive, and then CHANGE location
    of the iTunes Music Folder in pref/advanced in iTunes, iTunes will look
    there for new tunes, but all my existing playlists will be useless
    unless I FIND each song individually. I know of no other way to update
    the playlist data in bulk so existing playlists will continue to work in
    iTunes.

    If you had older existing song files and playlists for them and did not
    move those, those would continue to work.

    Nuts. All I want to do is move the data files to another drive and keep
    my playlists. IT shouldn't be this hard to do it.

    Morenuf
    morenuf Guest

  7. #7

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Paul Antonissen <com> wrote:

    > You may lose ID3 info this way. I did.[/ref]

    Doesn't make any sense. The tags are stored in the file, and there's no
    rationale for the discovery process being destructive of file data. What
    kind of information did you lose?

    Gregory Guest

  8. #8

    In article
    <columbus.rr.com>, morenuf
    <com.invalid> wrote:

> [...]
    > works that way.
    >
    > If I move my existing 1500 files to another drive, and use CONSOLIDATE,
    > it will copy them back to the ~/Music/iTunes/ Music Library location on
    > the boot drive.
    >
    > If I move the 1500 MP3 files to another drive, and then CHANGE location
    > of the iTunes Music Folder in pref/advanced in iTunes, iTunes will look
    > there for new tunes, but all my existing playlists will be useless
    > unless I FIND each song individually. I know of no other way to update
    > the playlist data in bulk so existing playlists will continue to work in
    > iTunes.
    >
    > If you had older existing song files and playlists for them and did not
    > move those, those would continue to work.
    >
    > Nuts. All I want to do is move the data files to another drive and keep
    > my playlists. IT shouldn't be this hard to do it.

    Wow! Thanks to all for this thread (even though we are still left
    hanging). I finally opted for a method I found on MacOShints, which is
    to drag the new iTunes music folder (the one on the new drive) on top
    of the 'Library' icon in the upper left corner of iTunes. That did the
    trick. However, ALL my playlists are now useless (as others have said),
    so we are left with finding a method that preserves the playlists.

    So (as I said) we are still left hanging.
    Julian Guest

  9. #9

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    > > You may lose ID3 info this way. I did.[/ref]
    >
    > Doesn't make any sense. The tags are stored in the file, and there's no
    > rationale for the discovery process being destructive of file data. What
    > kind of information did you lose?[/ref]

    In some cases I lost some or even all the ID3 info. In some cases I lost
    nothing. I couldn't figure out a pattern.

  10. #10

    Default Re: bulk update playlist path info (was :iTunes storage)

    In article <040920031023140499%ca>,
    Julian <ca> wrote:

    I am not the only one who would like that ability to bulk update of
    existing playlists.

    If one was patient enough and tinkered with it enough, one could figure
    out the format of the iTunes 4 Music Library file (this is the index
    file which stores the playlist information). All we want to do is change
    the path information to match the new location of the moved MP3 data
    (song) files. The data in that file has path info for each and every
    song file and playlist info too. I certainly don't know the format
    details, just noticed the path info.

    That's all I want, is to move my song files to another drive, keep my
    tediously made playlists, and have them still work on the now moved song
    files on another drive. I certainly don't want to FIND 1500+ songs at
    their new locations.

    Good Luck
    Morenuf

    I briefly tried some very simple editing of the path info (find &
    replace in BBEdit) but what I did would not work.
    morenuf Guest

  11. #11

    morenuf <com.invalid> wrote:

    You're so close.

    Change the iTunes music folder in Preferences. Don't do anything with any
    files first. Then tell it to Consolodate your library.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  12. #12

    In article
    <columbus.rr.com>,
    morenuf <com.invalid> wrote:

    > I am not the only one who would like that ability to bulk update of
    > existing playlists.
    >
    > If one was patient enough and tinkered with it enough, one could figure
    > out the format of the iTunes 4 Music Library file (this is the index
    > file which stores the playlist information). All we want to do is change
    > the path information to match the new location of the moved MP3 data
    > (song) files.[/ref]

    But the consolidate method works. I just did it, and then did random Get
    Info on the files in my playlists. Everything got updated.
    Gregory Guest

  13. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    morenuf Guest
    Moderated Post

  14. #14

    In article
    <columbus.rr.com>,
    morenuf <com.invalid> wrote:

    > > But the consolidate method works. I just did it, and then did random Get
    > > Info on the files in my playlists. Everything got updated.[/ref]
    >
    > Gregory
    >
    > If the consolidate method works, then great! I for one would be
    > interested in the exact details of the procedure you followed. I would
    > be most interested in exact locations of song files, iTunes 4 Music
    > Library location, etc. when you started, including the exact path,
    > drive, folder nesting, and the final locations of the files when you
    > were done.[/ref]

    1) Select a new root for the iTunes Music folder via the Advanced page
    of iTunes' Preferences dialog.
    2) Choose "Consolidate Library" from iTunes' Advanced menu.
    3) There's no step 3. (Who let Jeff Goldblum in?)

    That does it. I started with the library in its default location
    (~/Music/iTunes Music/) and moved to another directory on the same disk.
    Then to a new disk. Then back to the original location (without having
    erased them). Then back to the new disk. Then back to the original
    location (this time having erased what was already there). In all cases,
    step two caused the files to be copied and then all references to tracks
    updated.

    Gregory Guest

  15. #15

    In article <attbi.com>,
    Gregory Weston <com> wrote:

    If this works as you say, I am most thankful. I am going to be brave
    enough to try it.

    I thought I had tried this year or more ago (whenever iTunes first came
    out) and I lost playlist links every time. Maybe they fixed something in
    the past year or so.

    In any case thanks much. It is most appreciated.
    Morenuf
    morenuf Guest

  16. #16

    I quit iTunes, copied my iTunes Music folder to another drive
    partition, deleted the original iTune Music folder (I have backups)
    and replaced it with an alias (named iTunes Music) to the folder on the
    new drive, then restarted iTunes. Everything, including playlists
    seems to be working, so far. Imported music ends up on the new drive.
    Haven't tried ejecting the 2nd drive to see if/how iTunes breaks.

    IMHO. YMMV.
    --
    Ron Nicholson rhn AT nicholson DOT com http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/
    #include <canonical.disclaimer> // only my own opinions, etc.

  17. #17

    In article <blit4b$787$rahul.net>,
    Ronald H. Nicholson, Jr. <rahul.net> wrote:

    I did the same a few days ago. Everything _seemed_ to be working, yes.
    Until I noticed that iTunes would run into tracks that it couldn't
    locate anymore.

    I then ran this script from Script editor to force iTunes to go through
    my entire LIbrary to try all tracks and thus list which ones it couldn't
    locate:

    tell app "iTunes"
    play
    repeat
    next track
    end
    end
    (* may take a while if you have many tracks *)

    It turned out that about 50% of my tracks couldn't be located anymore. I
    emptied the library and added all files anew. Things work fine now, but
    of course this has lost me some data (such as user rating, date added,
    play count, etc.)

    I don't know why certain tracks couldn't be loacted, and others could.
    The only clue I have is that it seems that those that couldn't be
    located were the ones whose (track) names I had edited in iTunes. But
    that could be coincidence.

    --
    Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
    Sander Guest

  18. #18

    It looks like I have worked out the way to keep the lists and move the
    itunes storage to another disk: you can IMPORT other files into
    itunes!
    (i'm sure you're not supposed to, but it works anyhow)
    the order in which you do this seems to be crucial though, so here is
    how:

    1. make a copy of your music folder + a copy of the library files onto
    your new disk
    2. then select all music in itunes and throw it away. throw away your
    playlists too.
    3. choose a new folder where you want your music to be in advanced
    prefs, but make sure it is NOT the folder with your musicfoldercopy!
    4. choose import.. from file menu, and navigate and choose 'Itunes
    Music Library.xml'
    Now all your lists are reappearing.
    4. make sure itunes is set to make a copy of music in your music
    folder
    5. consolidate your library,
    caspar Guest