Professional Web Applications Themes

iView or iPhoto? - Mac Applications & Software

My wife used to use iView when she was in OS 9, and she's started using iPhoto in OS X. I haven't used iPhoto, but I remember being impressed by Multimedia Pro, now Media Pro. Anybody here used both and have opinions? We've got about 2 dozen CDs of images and growing, and I'd like to get organized, have a searchable database, and so on. Is this too big a task fo iPhoto? (We use Graphic Converter for image editings, so that's not a particular issue.) -- Philip Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed Legal Assistance on ...

  1. #1

    Default iView or iPhoto?

    My wife used to use iView when she was in OS 9, and she's started using
    iPhoto in OS X. I haven't used iPhoto, but I remember being impressed by
    Multimedia Pro, now Media Pro.

    Anybody here used both and have opinions? We've got about 2 dozen CDs of
    images and growing, and I'd like to get organized, have a searchable
    database, and so on. Is this too big a task fo iPhoto? (We use Graphic
    Converter for image editings, so that's not a particular issue.)
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: iView or iPhoto?

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    For really large collections, iView Media Pro is probably a better
    choice. iPhoto's strengths are ease-of-use and output, iView's are
    organization and capacity. iPhoto really bogs down with large
    libraries.

    Though I am a big fan of Graphic Converter (paid for it years ago), I
    tend to use either Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for editing. The
    capabilities are far more extensive. iPhoto lets you specify an
    external editor, though, so you can right-click an image and choose
    External Editor from the contextual menu to get to whatever you want --
    iPhoto keeps a copy of the original in case you ever want to revert.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    without a doubt, iview media pro.

    iphoto is rather limited and slow and if you have even a small number
    of pictures it starts to bog down. iview just released a new version
    and its very slick.

    although its not free, its *well* worth it. download the free demo and
    decide for yourself.
    nospam Guest

  4. #4

    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    They're not really comparable. iPhoto is for casual use; iView is for
    serious use. iPhoto is free; iView is $160. I use iView MediaPro, and
    find it to be well worth the price. iPhoto is a toy, but sometimes that's
    all you need.

    Since you've already got iPhoto, it shouldn't take long to bring in some
    pictures and see if it can do everything you need. If it seems too
    limited, then go look at iView, it's a great program. That would be the
    deciding factor; there's no need to do a side by side comparison, it
    would be like comparing MacPaint and Photoshop. Or, probably more
    accurately, iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Either you need the high-end
    solution, or you don't.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  5. #5

    On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 8:30:40 +0100, Jeremy wrote
    (in message <gunslinger.net>):

    > They're not really comparable. iPhoto is for casual use; iView is for
    > serious use. iPhoto is free; iView is $160. I use iView MediaPro, and
    > find it to be well worth the price. iPhoto is a toy, but sometimes that's
    > all you need.
    >
    > Since you've already got iPhoto, it shouldn't take long to bring in some
    > pictures and see if it can do everything you need. If it seems too
    > limited, then go look at iView, it's a great program. That would be the
    > deciding factor; there's no need to do a side by side comparison, it
    > would be like comparing MacPaint and Photoshop. Or, probably more
    > accurately, iMovie and Final Cut Pro. Either you need the high-end
    > solution, or you don't.
    >
    >[/ref]

    I have iView - but I am not going to upgrade it to the latest version
    (expense and new baby!). It's good.

    However ...

    there is a prog for iPhoto that allows you to have multiple libraries (so
    they are smaller and so load faster). I've not used it yet so I can't
    recommend it, but you can give it a go:

    <http://nofences.net/iphotoBuddy/>

    HTH

    Mark Guest

  6. #6

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    For a large library, it's not even close. iPhoto will have you pulling
    out your hair in no time. It's very limited and painfully slow. Its
    strength is in how it integrates with iMovie, Homepage, etc. but as a
    stand alone assets manager it falls far, far short.

    iView Media Pro is expensive, but worth it. Not only do I use it for
    about 5 GB worth of images give or take, but I also use it to catalog
    my fonts, work files (including Photoshop and InDesign which iPhoto
    can't touch) and the contents of 3rd party stock photo CDs. It's
    practically a Finder replacement for me when dealing with my
    work-related files.

    --
    http://www.momathome.com/
    If you want to reply to me, please go to my website and find the email link

  7. #7

    In article <tdl.com>,
    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    I like iPhoto. It's been improving with each version. It can get slow
    with more than about 1500 photos, but there are ways to speed it up.

    However, iPhoto isn't any good for keeping track of photos on CDs. It's
    designed to keep all your photos in one place on your hard disk. You
    can write iPhoto Albums onto a CD, and those Albums will show up in
    iPhoto whenever the CD is mounted, but *only* while the CD is mounted.
    It can only search photos that are on your hard disk or on mounted CDs.
    It can't tell you which CD has the photos you're looking for.
    Wayne Guest

  8. #8

    sbt <com.invalid> writes:

    Right click? <shudder> I presume control-click for us oldtimers with one
    button mices?

  9. #9

    "Wayne C. Morris" <is.invalid> writes:

    I've read the other posts currently in the thread, and they lean toward
    iView, but this seems to seal the choice. I don't keep images on my fixed
    disk; that's what CDs are for. So if I need a photo from 1995 that's on a
    CD, iView will tell me where to look -- dang! now if only those old CDs had
    names! I've got to figure out how to distinguish between CDs named
    PCD3636 and PCD4726. Get out my dymotape labeller, I guess.

  10. #10

    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:

    It should do exactly that, and still be able to show you at least the
    thumbnails without the CD in the drive. Not sure about larger previews.
    I haven't played much with that, at least not yet; I've backed up pictures
    to CDs (and DVDs) but not attempted to catalog the discs on the computer
    (since the pictures are still on the hard drive as well). I'll probably
    start doing that once space gets a little tight. :)

    You could always burn new ones with more descriptive names...

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  11. #11

    Jeremy <com> writes:

    > You could always burn new ones with more descriptive names...[/ref]

    They're Kodak PhotoCDs -- I have slides scanned to CD for me by a nearby
    company that does that. :-)

  12. #12

    In article <gunslinger.net>, Jeremy
    <com> wrote:

    If the CD is not in the drive, iView will only show you the thumbnail.
    If you go to the "media" view you'll a red box telling you "File not
    found." So when I'm making catalogs from CDs I always make a point of
    making large thumbnails so I can see detail without loading the CD.

  13. #13

    IMHO, iPhoto cannot handle a large number of photos
    such as anyone soon gets if they have an electonic camera.

    The way I get around this is by dragging old photos into a folder
    and then deleting them from iPhoto. Fun, hun?

    IMHO MacWorld had a very dumb article which said that large
    number of photos could easily be handled by burning CD's.
    Easily be handled by doing what???

    Phil Stripling <zzn.com> wrote:
    : My wife used to use iView when she was in OS 9, and she's started using
    : iPhoto in OS X. I haven't used iPhoto, but I remember being impressed by
    : Multimedia Pro, now Media Pro.

    : Anybody here used both and have opinions? We've got about 2 dozen CDs of
    : images and growing, and I'd like to get organized, have a searchable
    : database, and so on. Is this too big a task fo iPhoto? (We use Graphic
    : Converter for image editings, so that's not a particular issue.)
    : --
    : http://www.PhilipStripling.com/ | my domain is read daily.

    --
    o ~
    _-'\_ ~ Jon Claerbout: jon sep.stanford.edu

  14. #14

    In article <blsfds$oa1$Stanford.EDU>,
    Jon Claerbout <Stanford.EDU> wrote:

    Well, yeah, if you like to do it the hard way, and like losing all the
    titles, comments, etc.

    Like they said, "by burning CDs". Burn some albums onto CDs, and then
    delete the photos from the Photo Library. When you want to look at
    those albums again, just stick the CD back in your Mac, and the albums
    will appear in iPhoto, with all the titles etc. intact.

    I think the "burn" feature was added in iPhoto 2. If you're using 1.x,
    you'll have to upgrade before you can do this.

    1) Select one or more albums in iPhoto. If necessary, click on the "i"
    button to display the Info area, so you can see how much disk space is
    required for the albums you selected and make sure they'll fit on a CD.

    2) Click the "burn" button, insert a blank CD-R, and tell it to burn.
    Wait for it to finish.

    3) Select all the photos in the album you just burned, and open the
    Keywords panel. Create & assign a new keyword to all the photos in the
    album. ("To be deleted" would be an obvious choice.) Repeat for all
    the other albums that you burned onto the CD.

    4) Go to the Photo Library, open the Keywords panel, click on the
    keyword you used, and click on the "Search" button. It'll find the
    photos with that keyword. Keeping the Keywords panel open, select all
    the photos it found and delete them. (If you close the Keywords panel,
    it'll revert to showing all the photos or rolls.)

    5) The albums should now be empty. Go ahead and delete them.

    (Deleting the photos is a bit complicated because there's no "delete
    from Library" command when you're looking at an album.)
    Wayne Guest

  15. #15

    I'm thinking about use iView, but I don't want to SAVE a catalog. Can
    I use iView Media Pro just to "browser" folders, like AcDsee?

    Thanks
    Jonas Guest

  16. #16

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Jonas) wrote:

    If you just want to browse folders, try Graphic Converter.
    Wayne Guest

  17. #17

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Jonas) wrote:

    Yes. For large #s of images it is more efficient to save the catalog
    (caching the thumbnails in the catalog really helps), but for smallish
    #s of images iView will be plenty fast enough without saving the catalog.

    However, I suspect it will always ask you if you want to save the
    catalog. But you can always say no. (Or as somebody else pointed out,
    use GraphicConverter, which does not try to save catalogs; however, they
    are very different programs with very different strenghts and
    weaknesses.)

    -- Russell
    Russell Guest