Professional Web Applications Themes

jagged edges - Macromedia Freehand

Hi there, Why is it that the vector based designs have their edges jagged when they are downscaled?? I thought vector designs are supposed to look perfect and just the same regardless of resolution or size. Is there anything I should be aware of to have clean and neat designs. best regards roula...

  1. #1

    Default jagged edges

    Hi there,

    Why is it that the vector based designs have their edges jagged when they are
    downscaled?? I thought vector designs are supposed to look perfect and just
    the same regardless of resolution or size. Is there anything I should be aware
    of to have clean and neat designs.

    best regards
    roula

    louler7 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: jagged edges

    Could you give us a little more information about how these graphics are
    being created (program, platform), what format they're being saved in, and
    where they are being scaled and how that seems to be creating a problem?
    Jagged on screen, in print, both?

    Bill Schuhle

    "louler7" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Why is it that the vector based designs have their edges jagged when they
    are
    > downscaled?? I thought vector designs are supposed to look perfect and
    just
    > the same regardless of resolution or size. Is there anything I should be
    aware
    > of to have clean and neat designs.
    >
    > best regards
    > roula

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  3. #3

    Are you judging by on-screen appearance or by Postscript print output?

    What version of FH are you using? In versions before anti-aliased display,
    vectors appear jagged on screen but print smoothly to Postscript devices.

    In FHMX, any Raster Effect changes vectors to raster images made of pixels.

    Judy Arndt

    louler7 wrote:
    > Why is it that the vector based designs have their edges jagged when they are
    > downscaled?? I thought vector designs are supposed to look perfect and just
    > the same regardless of resolution or size.
    Judy Arndt Guest

  4. #4

    What you are seeing is a simple limitation of the fact that your screen
    is made up of pixels. When a vector graphic is small on the screen it
    still has to be "visually" of pixels. In other words if a circle is so
    small that it is only made up of a 10 x 10 block of pixels on your
    screen do you really expect it to look perfectly circular? That is an
    extreme case but the same applies to any graphic being represented on
    screen. You can minimize this by using the Anti-aliased view preference
    turned on but in my opinion you loose a lot as far as thin dark lines
    being lightened and almost invisible, etc.

    Irregardless of screen output if you print to a PostScript printer all
    Pure Vector graphics will print as smooth as the printer allows/is set
    for (remember printers have pixels too).

    Rich

    louler7 wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Why is it that the vector based designs have their edges jagged when they are
    > downscaled?? I thought vector designs are supposed to look perfect and just
    > the same regardless of resolution or size. Is there anything I should be aware
    > of to have clean and neat designs.
    >
    > best regards
    > roula

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks guys for all the replies I got:)

    The graphics are created using freehand10 educational version mainly with the
    pen tool .They are saved as Gifs through the export function. I am scaling
    them in photoshop . BUt even in freehand they look kind of jagged ...I am
    aware that with pixels u most likely will end up with this effect but then
    maybe i should try upgrading my freehand version hoping that this would solve
    the problem .
    Many thanks
    roula

    louler7 Guest

  6. #6

    true ! I tried anti aliasing and it ruined all the nice thin lines I had !
    louler7 Guest

  7. #7

    Woah! That was a big piece of info you left out there. When you said
    "I thought vector designs are supposed to look perfect and just
    the same regardless of resolution or size." I think we all assumed you
    were talking about a vector graphic within FH. As soon as you exported
    to GIF you no longer have a vector graphic, you have a bitmap (Pixel)
    graphic made from a vector graphic, but it is 100% pixels and reacts as
    such. That said if you are scaling down there should be no loss in
    quality, but there will also be no gain in quality. So if it looked
    jagged before scaling it will look jagged after. You may be exporting
    out of FH without any anti-alisaing applied to the GIF, this would give
    you a jagged image. Try not to used FH's bitmap export features they
    are not all that great. Instead copy/paste into Photoshop or Export to
    EPS then open in Photoshop. This will take FH's vector information and
    let's Photoshop turn it into pixels (rasterize), it is much more reliable.

    Upgrading FH will do nothing for you in this regard. There is no
    difference between the educational and professional versions of FH.
    Although there would be differences between FH10 and FHMX.

    Rich

    louler7 wrote:
    > Thanks guys for all the replies I got:)
    >
    > The graphics are created using freehand10 educational version mainly with the
    > pen tool .They are saved as Gifs through the export function. I am scaling
    > them in photoshop . BUt even in freehand they look kind of jagged ...I am
    > aware that with pixels u most likely will end up with this effect but then
    > maybe i should try upgrading my freehand version hoping that this would solve
    > the problem .
    > Many thanks
    > roula

    Rich Hudgins Guest

  8. #8

    If you are exporting transparent GIFs from FH, then this tutorial by Ian
    Kelleigh at FreeHandSource.com should help:

    [url]http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week085.html[/url]

    Judy Arndt

  9. #9

    Thanks so much Rich !! IT made a big difference to copy path from freehand and
    paste in photoshop....the quality is much better :) i even tried saving as eps
    and opening in potoshop . I really appreciate the advice!!!

    best regards
    roula

    louler7 Guest

  10. #10

    hello,
    I'm trying to make the transition from illustrator and I've just come across
    this same issue. So I cant export my vector art as web graphics (gif) from
    freehand? I tried doing this and the edges of even a simple oval shape show up
    jagged. My onscreen view is jagged also, how do I view as smooth?

    Why can illustrator view and export smoothly and freehand cannot? Seems like a
    pretty basic thing and I'm beginning to reconsider my decision because of this.
    I saw the articles about saving transparent gif above at
    [url]http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week085.html[/url] and that
    kinda ridiculous to have to go through all that!

    Any solutions to this?

    Thanks
    Cheryl

    chmull Guest

  11. #11

    chmull wrote:
    > hello,
    > I'm trying to make the transition from illustrator and I've just come across
    > this same issue. So I cant export my vector art as web graphics (gif) from
    > freehand? I tried doing this and the edges of even a simple oval shape show up
    > jagged. My onscreen view is jagged also, how do I view as smooth?
    Do you have the anti-aliasing preference turned on?
    > Why can illustrator view and export smoothly and freehand cannot? Seems like a
    > pretty basic thing and I'm beginning to reconsider my decision because of this.
    > I saw the articles about saving transparent gif above at
    > [url]http://www.freehandsource.com/_frames/_tips/_archive/tip_week085.html[/url] and that
    > kinda ridiculous to have to go through all that!
    I don't have much experience using Freehand to make GIFs. Usually I use
    Fireworks (or sometimes Photoshop) for that. Is that an option for you?
    Wes Rand Guest

  12. #12

    Hi thanks for replying. I cant seem to find the anti alias option, is it under
    preferences? (I'm looking at FH10 right now and I have FHMX at home.)
    I do like fireworks and use it for regular web graphics, but for logos I use
    freehand (or illustrator) because I need print quality eps as well as web
    version gif. I realize I can open the doent in fireworks and save it as a
    gif, but I like being able to do all that in one place. Maybe i'm just lazy?

    chmull Guest

  13. #13

    chmull wrote:
    > Hi thanks for replying. I cant seem to find the anti alias option, is it under
    > preferences? (I'm looking at FH10 right now and I have FHMX at home.)
    I never had 10 so not sure about that. It is in the preferences for MX.
    Redraw I believe.
    > I do like fireworks and use it for regular web graphics, but for logos I use
    > freehand (or illustrator) because I need print quality eps as well as web
    > version gif. I realize I can open the doent in fireworks and save it as a
    > gif, but I like being able to do all that in one place. Maybe i'm just lazy?

    Welcome to the lazy club!
    Wes Rand Guest