Professional Web Applications Themes

Jagged edges on objects and text - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm not sure what I did--I'm a newbie to illustrator and I have AI10 on XP, but everything now has major jagged edges. Text that I type or objects that I draw. They look horrible and they look even worse when I save them for web. I'm completely lost. HELP!!...

  1. #1

    Default Jagged edges on objects and text

    Lyiris_Siriyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Jagged edges on objects and text

    Lyiriys,

    You must have Pixel Preview switched on. If you want to get rid of that, choose Alt+V+X.

    How it looks on the web depends on your Save for Web settings.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    thanks but I do have pixel preview off. The problem seems to be much worse when drawing circles or ellipse. I can see how poor the quality the image is in AI10, and it seems whatever I pick for save to web just makes it worse. L
    Lyiris_Siriyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Edit > Preferences > General: Enable Anti aliasing
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Lyiris,

    Also in Edit>Preferences>General check that you have Anti-aliased Artwork
    checked

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    If vector graphics appear jagged outside Pixel Preview (PP), and your resolution is not very low, something very strange seems to be going on.

    Just to rule out the usual suspect, you may try deleting the AIPrefs file, see FAQ #4.

    Addition when I saw the post from Kurt: I suppose you have not switched off Anti-aliased Artwork (AA) yourself; a deletion of the AIPrefs should also switch it on again, as Kurt is suggesting, along with other settings which may have been corrupted.

    PP and -AA is truly terrible, PP and +AA creates diffuse edges, -AA alone creates smaller steps in the jaggedness.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Aha, Len. Tips in duplicate are always the best ;-)
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    No one read post #3, Kurt.
    Jacob_Bugge@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Kurt,

    Looking at the message source, I actually answered 2 whole seconds before
    you did <g>. However, I probably posted the answer some minutes after that.

    It's one of the things about using a Newsreader. I answer all messages and
    then batch-post them. Messages are timed when the post is composed and not
    when it is uploaded to the server. I won't get to see what else has been
    posted until I next access the forums, usually about 8 hrs later.

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Good, Len. Batch-posting tips proves you have an economical head. I like that :-)
    Kurt_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Thanks everyone for your tips. I'm not quite sure which one did the trick. I deleted the prefs file first but that didn't seem to have any effect. The anti-aliased artwork box was checked. I wasn't in pixel mode. But regardless my circles no longer have major jagged edges.

    I'm really new to illustrator and I don't have the manual. I'm really lacking in my understanding of graphics--does anyone have a suggestion on a good book to buy.
    Lyiris_Siriyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Lyiris,

    We generally recommend the Classroom in a Book series and the Bible series. They start with basics and move on to many cool and time saving tips that can help get you ahead.

    Jon
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Jon
    Lyiris_Siriyl@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    yeah I'm getting the same thing.... never had any problem ever before with any of the previous versions....
    Unregistered Guest

  15. #15

    just close every other pdf doent opened, and open your pdf alone :)
    Unregistered Guest