Professional Web Applications Themes

Jagged text & image - Adobe Indesign Windows

I've got an original jpeg file which appeared as jagged text & image. When I imported it into InDesign 2.0 or Photoshop 7.0, the printing result seems same or even worse. Could some one tell me how to solve it? The other similar question: While the printing result for one of my Publisher file is fine, the text is badly jagged when printing from InDesign(I can't place the pub file into InDesign directly. So I used copy & paste.) even I've selected "anti-aliasing".Any clue?...

  1. #1

    Default Jagged text & image

    Roland_Zhao@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Jagged text & image

    Any clue?

    If you are using low resolution 'jagged' JPG files and trying to copy and paste Publisher content into InDesign, then 'no', you have no clue.

    Search the forum for extensive discussion about Publisher and InDesign.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The only solution is get a high resolution graphic file. You will not be able to fix the one you have. It is a low resolution file, probably made for web viewing.

    To use your Publisher file in InDesign: Do "Save as" change file type to "postscript (.ps)" Then distill into pdf. Place pdf into InDesign. You will not be able to edit the publisher file in InDesign, but you will have the file to print from InDesign

    Stan Wetherald
    Quality Quickprint
    DeLand, Florida USA
    Stan_Wetherald@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Before I appear as too much of a bum for neglecting a smiley on my last post, check to make sure that the JPG is displayed onscreen in high resolution and is printing in high resolution. By default, InDesign will use low-resolution representations of images for the sake of responsiveness. There are settings in the View menu and in the print dialog to determine how these images display onscreen and how they print.

    Be careful of anything that you paste into InDesign. Ideally, only art from Illustrator can be pasted effectively. Use File>Place for importing all other graphics.
    Jim_Oblak@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    It's a great help! I saved the 72ppi low-resolution jpg image into 300ppi(If saving into 600ppi or higher, it has a stack under flow error when printing)high-resolution psd file in Photoshop. The printing result is much better than the original jpg file, although it is still not very clear. Thanks a lot!
    Roland_Zhao@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    In the general case, simply interpolating any image to a higher resolution in Photoshop is not going to increase sharpness or eliminate the “jaggies.” Effectively, the same thing is being done by InDesign or Acrobat in its screen display or by your printer's RIP when printing to paper or rendering to plate. Upsampling or interpolation can't make your image any “clearer” because the data wasn't in the original image to start with. Sharpening in Photoshop after doing such interpolation may help, but remember “GIGO -> Garbage In, Garbage Out!”

    - Dov
    Dov Guest