Professional Web Applications Themes

Jaguar - Moving Appplications Folder to seperate partition (/etc/fstab) - Mac Applications & Software

Dear Readers, I have just installed Mac OSX 10.2.6 onto my power book. I have partitioned my drive with Mac OSX, Applications and Users. (12 Gb drive - four equal partitions) I saw on [url]www.kung-foo.tv/xtips.php[/url] that it is possible to move the OSX Applications and Users to a different partition to MAC OSX. On Jaguar I cannot see the /etc/fstab file that is discussed. I created a etc/fstab file but I was unable to move Applications. What is the correct / best way to move Applications to a seperate partition. I have read the goggle pages and people say the ...

  1. #1

    Default Jaguar - Moving Appplications Folder to seperate partition (/etc/fstab)

    Dear Readers,

    I have just installed Mac OSX 10.2.6 onto my power book. I have
    partitioned my drive with Mac OSX, Applications and Users. (12 Gb
    drive - four equal partitions)

    I saw on [url]www.kung-foo.tv/xtips.php[/url] that it is possible to move the OSX
    Applications and Users to a different partition to MAC OSX. On Jaguar
    I cannot see the /etc/fstab file that is discussed. I created a
    etc/fstab file but I was unable to move Applications.

    What is the correct / best way to move Applications to a seperate
    partition. I have read the goggle pages and people say the the
    installer does not link logical links.

    Just in case you wish to know why I want to do this, I have a tape
    drive attached and the partition sizes are the tape capacity I will
    back up partitions at a time.

    Thanks

    Stuart
    Stuart Norris Guest

  2. #2

    In article <beubi1$a4l$1mamenchi.zrz.TU-Berlin.DE>,
    [email]anno4000lublin.zrz.tu-berlin.de[/email] (Anno Siegel) wrote:
    > > What is the correct / best way to move Applications to a seperate
    > > partition. I have read the goggle pages and people say the the
    > > installer does not link logical links.
    >
    > You mean, it will not follow symbolic links? Or MacOS aliases? I would
    > try a symlink before giving up on that approach -- it's so much easier
    > than arranging for a mount. For some years I ran a Mac with /Users
    > replaced by a symlink with no problems.

    I think what he means is that Apple's installers for software
    (system or apps) upgrades often do not look for or follow symlinks.
    /Users should be OK because there's no critical OS stuff involved.

    It is possible to put /var on a separate disk, and

    mv /var/* /Volumes/newvar/
    rm -R /var
    ln -s /Volumes/newvar /var
    ln -s /Volumes/newvar /private/var

    and tinker with /etc/rc* to straighten out the /tmp cleanups
    This works fine (& gets vm onto a separate disk ;-) until
    at some stage an Apple OS update decides to hose /var
    and mkdir /var and fill it with new stuff - back to square one :-(

    In the case of applications I have all my non-Apple apps on
    a separate partition, but I've left the stuff installed by the
    system installer in /Applications.

    Note also that strange things can happen to permissions for things
    moved to new partitions by the Finder...
    Peter KERR Guest

  3. #3

    my solution - this works for most - not all applications

    create a new applications folder on the second partition
    in the (primary) applications folder create an alias to the secondary
    applications-

    move everything except:
    itunes, iMovie, and Quicktime player
    (these seem not to work otherwise)

    everything else (for me) seems to work

    Stuart Norris wrote:
    > Dear Readers,
    >
    > I have just installed Mac OSX 10.2.6 onto my power book. I have
    > partitioned my drive with Mac OSX, Applications and Users. (12 Gb
    > drive - four equal partitions)
    >
    > I saw on [url]www.kung-foo.tv/xtips.php[/url] that it is possible to move the OSX
    > Applications and Users to a different partition to MAC OSX. On Jaguar
    > I cannot see the /etc/fstab file that is discussed. I created a
    > etc/fstab file but I was unable to move Applications.
    >
    > What is the correct / best way to move Applications to a seperate
    > partition. I have read the goggle pages and people say the the
    > installer does not link logical links.
    >
    > Just in case you wish to know why I want to do this, I have a tape
    > drive attached and the partition sizes are the tape capacity I will
    > back up partitions at a time.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Stuart
    Fetch, Rover, Fetch Guest