Professional Web Applications Themes

.jar files in Project Builder (driving me crazy!!) - Mac Programming

Hey everybody-- I'm about to pull my hair out on this one. I'm doing work with a professor, eventually intending to write a bunch of models in java for investigating game theoretic behavior. I've ported a "Life" model from Excel (from another professor here) to java as my first project. So far so good..I've gotten it to run in just about every browser. EXCEPT IE FOR WINDOWS!! I assume my boss will be using IE for Windows, so this is a major problem! I tested it today on several different computers in the lab, each running Win2000. I verified each ...

  1. #1

    Default .jar files in Project Builder (driving me crazy!!)

    Hey everybody--

    I'm about to pull my hair out on this one.

    I'm doing work with a professor, eventually intending to write a bunch
    of models in java for investigating game theoretic behavior. I've ported
    a "Life" model from Excel (from another professor here) to java as my
    first project.

    So far so good..I've gotten it to run in just about every browser.
    EXCEPT IE FOR WINDOWS!! I assume my boss will be using IE for Windows,
    so this is a major problem! I tested it today on several different
    computers in the lab, each running Win2000. I verified each to be
    running the same version of java (using an applet that simply prints out
    the version its running on). It even works in Netscape Navigator 7 for
    windows.

    On IE, however, it says "Class not found". I've got the files jar'red
    and placed in the same directory as the HTMl, and I also have the plain
    ..class files there just in case. You can check out the HTML code (and
    applet code) here:

    http://habitforming-sw.com/ffw

    I've tried a bunch of different things in the last half hour, so its
    possible that I've broken something that worked before.

    I've dissected the jar file that PB produces, and it contains the two
    class files and a manifest. All looks normal. The manifest has "Apple
    Computer" in the header...makes me think that IE sniffs that out and
    then refuses to work. (Just kidding, kind of...)

    Anyways, are there any caveats to using PB? This is really beginning to
    me off, because it seems like Windows is always breaking some
    standard that ought to be cross platform. (Movie files/audio files
    really get my goat lately :)

    Any tips would be much appreciated..I'm trying to get this thing
    operation by my meeting on Thursday morning. It would make my life a lot
    easier if I could prove the concept of this WWW work-flow. Otherwise
    I'll start having to bring in these things on floppy disk or something,
    which will be an inconvenience with a floppy disk-less G4 on my desk.

    TIA

    --
    |\/| /| |2 |<
    mehaase(at)sas(dot)upenn(dot)edu

  2. #2

    Default Re: .jar files in Project Builder (driving me crazy!!)

    In article <upenn.edu>,
    Mark Haase <net> wrote:

    Which class does it complain about not finding? You might have to look
    in its Java console for that information. If I recall correctly, the
    Java console is disabled by default, but you can turn it on in IE's
    preferences.

    (Oh, and no, PB doesn't do anything special with jar files. But
    manifests might've been new in JDK 1.2, which IE doesn't support. You
    might want to try building the jar without a manifest.)

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/