Professional Web Applications Themes

Java and Macīs - Mac Programming

Hi all, how much is java implemented in mac osīs? What Iīm trying to do is to run a Jar file on all type of Mac OSīs (OS X and older versions). For windows and Linux for example I have just taken the whole jre with the jar-file in the bin dir and copied that to the hd, and writing a script or batch-file to start the jar with the copied jre. This enables me to be sure that there is java on the machine, that I know where it is and how to get my jar opened and also ...

  1. #1

    Default Java and Macīs

    Hi all,

    how much is java implemented in mac osīs?

    What Iīm trying to do is to run a Jar file on all type of Mac OSīs (OS X and
    older versions).

    For windows and Linux for example I have just taken the whole jre with the
    jar-file in the bin dir and copied that to the hd, and writing a script or
    batch-file to start the jar with the copied jre. This enables me to be sure
    that there is java on the machine, that I know where it is and how to get my
    jar opened and also newer or older versions that already are on the machine
    donīt matter, since I have my own jre with me.
    This might not be the best way but itīs easy to install (just copying a dir
    to the hd) and uninstall.

    Well exactly that I wanna be able to do for the Mac. On Mac OS X java is
    probably always preinstalled (or not ?), but what about older versions. Is
    there a java version that can be used on all Mac OSīs?

    Hope somebody can help me a bit out

    David

    David Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Java and Macīs

    In article <btdvie$ad3$06$t-online.com>, "David" <org>
    wrote:

    In order of operating system release as each installed JDK version
    changed:
    JDK 1.1 was installed by default as of Mac OS 8.1, I believe (maybe 8.0?)
    JDK 1.2 was installed by default in Mac OS X 10.0
    JDK 1.3.1 was installed by default in Mac OS X 10.2
    JDK 1.4.1 is installed by default in Mac OS X 10.3

    Hope this helps,
    Eric

    --
    Eric Albert stanford.edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  3. #3

    > In order of operating system release as each installed JDK version

    Hm, this sounds great.
    If it is preinstalled, that would mean that there is almost no way that java
    isnīt on the machine, meaning for me, that I dont have to bring my own java
    machine with me like I did for Windows or Linux.
    But I guess that there could be the chance that somebody removed java from
    there machine (?). But I guess if youīre smart enough to remove it, youīre
    smart enough to put it back on.

    Thanx Eric

    But if anybody else has some ideas, go ahead.

    David Guest

  4. #4

    David <org> wrote:

    > Hm, this sounds great.
    > If it is preinstalled, that would mean that there is almost no way that java
    > isnīt on the machine, meaning for me, that I dont have to bring my own java
    > machine with me like I did for Windows or Linux.[/ref]

    Ahem,

    Eric is an authority in this field, so I am a bit reluctant to step
    forward. Still, in the list above you should read JVM where it says JDK.
    Also, I think 10.0 allready came with 1.3.1 (1.2 never existed on a
    commercial Mac OS as I recall). So the list would read:

    JVM 1.1.x (up to 1.1.8) on Mac OS 8.1 and up
    JVM 1.3.1 on Mac OS X 10.0 and up
    JVM 1.4.1 on Mac OS X 10.3 and up

    If you want to do development you have to install the appropriate JDK by
    hand. Although OS X comes with de dev tools, I don't think the JDK is
    installed by default.

    At least, this is how I think it is. Please correct me when I am wrong.

    Patrick
    Patrick Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g75bgp.jhgag3mdirnaN%nl>,
    nl (Patrick Machielse) wrote:

    > > Hm, this sounds great.
    > > If it is preinstalled, that would mean that there is almost no way that java
    > > isnīt on the machine, meaning for me, that I dont have to bring my own java
    > > machine with me like I did for Windows or Linux.[/ref]
    >
    > Ahem,
    >
    > Eric is an authority in this field, so I am a bit reluctant to step
    > forward.[/ref]

    You should substitute "used to be" for "is". :) It's been a long time
    since I did anything involving Java. (Thanks for the compliment,
    though!)

    Hmm...did we only ship that in the Mac OS X pre-releases? It's been a
    while; I might've forgotten the details.

    Yep. I'm used to using "JVM" and "JDK" as synonyms, but your usage is
    more correct. :)

    -Eric