Professional Web Applications Themes

JavaS file missing, button issues_new - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi Murray: ---please note this post is a new post on this subject, the other one was getting too long and the order of the posts, confusing--- Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a long and detail response, (which is below this post) to my problem. Secondly, I realize that I will have to eliminate my navigational frames from my web site. I also want to let you know that the buttons "currently" in the top frame of my site are NOT part of a button bar/nav bar or menu, of any kind. ...

  1. #1

    Default JavaS file missing, button issues_new

    Hi Murray:

    ---please note this post is a new post on this subject, the other one was getting too long and the order of the posts, confusing---

    Firstly, I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a long and detail response, (which is below this post) to my problem.

    Secondly, I realize that I will have to eliminate my navigational frames from my web site.

    I also want to let you know that the buttons "currently" in the top frame of my site are NOT part of a button bar/nav bar or menu, of any kind. The title, the two flags and all of the buttons were created in FW as one (rather large) button/image, thing. somehow.
    (please insert a cross-eyed happy face here) :-o

    Anyways, my question on the .js file was the wrong question or wrong concept on my part. I misunderstood some information through all of my reading, etc. I thought, that in order to have the buttons working that I would need this file. Yes, I realize now, (thanks to an email I received) that if it is just a button you are creating and not a menu/bar, that you don't need a .js file.

    The problem also with the code is that I actually inserted the FW html into the code and not to the design section of the page. Being new, and not realising, or forgeting that there is a difference.
    ha ha. hilarious. ((I've been used to code writing and THEN browser viewing or preview viewing - I do like DW way though, quite convenient))
    So that explains how I ended up with this really strange code result, that of course didn't work - missing the JS from the insert, hence I thought I needed this .js file. heh heh

    So, I will start over, at least with the 'no frames' issue, it just means that my pages will gain in size considerably.

    Yesterday was a 'reading books and research online' sort of day and I found this 'sentiment' about frames elsewhere too. I will read your link about frames issue too!

    Thank you for the detail explaination re: the inner workings of pop-up menus' .js file. Very useful!
    <whew, is right!>

    until next time,
    MM

    ---------
    From Murray....

    The first step in your rehabilitation as a web developer would be to
    recognize the many problems with using frames -

    http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php

    I wouldn't use them at all!

    In addition, assuming you decided to continue using them, you should have a
    frameset Doctype, not a transitional one (and a broken one at that - DMX had
    a bug in the insertion of these) on the page -

    change this -

    to this -

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

    (to read more about doctypes, go to http://www.w3.org)

    Next, you need to understand some things about the FW pop-up menus.

    When you create one, and then export the HTML, there is a large chunk of
    javascript written into the head of that exported HTML that describes the
    details of the menus - it looks like this -

    function mmLoadMenus() {
    if (window.mm_menu_0205130010_0) return;
    window.mm_menu_0205130010_0_1 = new
    Menu("Menu1Sub2",121,18,"Trebuchet

    MS, Verdana,

    sans-serif",12,"#000000","#FF9933","#3A6D57","#6DB195", "left","middle",3,0,1
    000,-5,7,true,true,t

    rue,0,false,true);
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.addMenuItem("Menu1Sub2sub1" );
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.addMenuItem("Menu1Sub2sub2" );
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.hideOnMouseOut=true;
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.bgColor='#555555';
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.menuBord

    and it can go on for many kilobytes, depending on the complexity of your
    menu system. This defines the look and the function of each button on the
    page. But it only defines how they look and function - it doesn't actually
    write the menus to the page.

    That work is done by the file named "mm_menus.js" which is always linked to
    in the HTML written by FW when it exports your HTML.

    So - the embedded js defines the menu, and mm_menus.js provides the tools to
    BUILD the menu, and there is a third component - the call to a routine in
    mm_menus.js. This is done from the body of the page after the page has been
    completely fetched from the server. It is what is responsible for invoking
    the key routine in mm_menus.js (mmLoadMenus())which uses the data declared
    in the head of each page to write the HTML code to the page to build the
    menus <whew>.

    Looking at the code in the top frame of your site, I have no idea what you
    have done wrong - but the code is a complete mess.

    1. There is *no* menu definition js in the head of the page
    2. There is *no* link to mm_menus.js
    3. The call to mmLoadMenus() is in the <head> rather than the <body>

    So - I don't know how to tell you to fix this. The simplest way would be to
    recreate the menus and the top frame, but then you will still be using the
    FW pop-up menus, and I hate that.

    By the way, you do know that these menus will not cross the frame boundary,
    right? This means that even when you have them working, they will then
    slide beneath the bottom frame when the menus open.

    Sorry.

    If you want to do this, then you should abandon this plan and this layout
    and do it right from the start. That's my opinion, at least....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    maple Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: JavaS file missing, button issues_new

    maple:

    Changing subject lines breaks the thread and makes it more difficult for
    those trying to help you, rather than less difficult! 8( Now, to
    reconstruct your previous thread, I have to search by author, not subject (I
    am using the NNTP forums, you see, which are a much superior beast to the
    stinky webforums).

    Forgive me - I had that great rant and it was all offbase! 8(

    of my site are NOT part of a button bar/nav bar or menu, of any kind

    Well, yes they are -

    onMouseOver="MM_nbGroup

    But your whole page is a mishmash of failed attempts, with dangling code
    fragments everywhere. If it were me, I'd rebuild the page/frame from
    scratch, and it seems you are leaning in that direction too.

    The real problem on this page, I see now, is that there is *no* javascript
    in the head to support any of the actions on the page. This means that each
    time you invoke MM_nbGroup you will get a) no response from your nav bar,
    and b) the javascript error "Object expected".

    You could solve this simply by opening that frame's page in DW, selecting
    one of your buttons, and double clicking on the set nav bar behavior that
    you see listed in the Behaviors panel. This will force DW to write the
    javascript for that behavior back into the head of the doent.

    Then, delete this -

    <script language="JavaScript1.2">mmLoadMenus();</script>

    (you don't need it)

    and thing should work much better.

    By the way, the first thing to learn about HTML tables is that constructions
    like this -

    are a horrible start to a stable page. I realize you allowed FW to create
    this code for you, and that's part of the problem. If you are going to use
    FW HTML, then you need to learn how to slice your page so that FW can build
    a reliable table for you. But that's another rant..... 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "maple moose" <com> wrote in message
    getting too long and the order of the posts, confusing---
    detail response, (which is below this post) to my problem.
    from my web site.
[...]
    menus' .js file. Very useful!

    had
    sans-serif",12,"#000000","#FF9933","#3A6D57","#6DB195", "left","middle",3,0,1
    been
    boundary,

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    HI Murray:

    Ok, won't break the chain next time.

    Yes, pretty sure I have to eliminate the frames all together.
    I have dismantled 'thing' and I am redo'ing all the buttons etc, starting over.
    Your right, there was no javascript because when inserting the 'thing' into DW it was inserted in the "code" View and not in the split part of the page where it's supposed to be inserted using the "Design and Code" View. heh heh

    I read the 'rants' on the link you gave me. They were very useful and funny too.
    Frames aren't functional for what I am looking to do. So out they go.

    I assume you mean the main Frame page. Are the others a mess too?

    Wish me luck,
    MM

    maple Guest

  4. #4

    maple:

    You're on the right track now.

    There's not much on the other frame pages to get messy! 8)

    OK - you got it!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "maple moose" <com> wrote in message
    over.
    into DW it was inserted in the "code" View and not in the split part of the
    page where it's supposed to be inserted using the "Design and Code" View.
    heh heh
    funny too.

    > I assume you mean the main Frame page. Are the others a mess too?

    > Wish me luck,
    > MM
    >

    >[/ref]

    Murray Guest

  5. #5

    HI Murray:

    .... [/ref]

    ach, your sooo funny!
    KISS rule applies here, A.

    thanks
    MM

    maple Guest

  6. #6

    Good luck!

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    "maple moose" <com> wrote in message
    news:bvok0s$5l8$macromedia.com... [/ref]

    > ach, your sooo funny!
    > KISS rule applies here, A.
    >

    > thanks
    > MM