Professional Web Applications Themes

JavaScript File missing, button issues - Macromedia Fireworks

Hello: I bought and installed my Studio MX package 6 months ago and it seemed to be working fine up until now. I've just discovered that when creating buttons within Fireworks, it is not creating all of the files, namely the .js file, (javascript code file). Hence, for the past few weeks I have wondered why my buttons aren't working. Quite irritating. Please note, I am currently teaching myself how to work with this software so be aware that I am somewhat of a newbie. The Resulting Problem:? I can create and export a button(s) from FW then insert them ...

  1. #1

    Default JavaScript File missing, button issues

    Hello:

    I bought and installed my Studio MX package 6 months ago and it seemed to be working fine up until now. I've just discovered that when creating buttons within Fireworks, it is not creating all of the files, namely the .js file, (javascript code file).

    Hence, for the past few weeks I have wondered why my buttons aren't working. Quite irritating.
    Please note, I am currently teaching myself how to work with this software so be aware that I am somewhat of a newbie.

    The Resulting Problem:?
    I can create and export a button(s) from FW then insert them into DW, but when (pre)viewing in a browser (IE), the button is there and sends you where it should, but the rollover /out actions won't work. (the background of my new buttons don't change with the action). --- All of the buttons do the same thing. Would this be related to the missing JScript button or is it something else aswell?

    I have now reverted back the old fashioned but stable way of writing the code myself for the buttons in Javascript but can't seem to get the linked pages to load in the right frame. I would prefer to use my expensive software to do the job, though.

    I have read most if not all of the forum posts on the subject, 'exporting buttons from FW and importing buttons in DW', but none of them are really equal to my issues.
    ....My "site folder" is set up, I have clicked "export slices", I use insert the Interactive Fireworks command, checked that I am using Dreamweaver HTML and so on.

    Please help.
    Thanks

    maple Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: JavaScript File missing, button issues

    Hello:

    (maple moose here)
    I did some digging in my old files from my tutorials and found the name of the file I am talking about;
    mm_menu.js

    This is the file that is missing from all of my newly exported buttons.

    PLEASE HELP

    maple Guest

  3. #3

    maple:

    Please don't use the FW pop-up menus. If you are as new as you sound, you
    will only become frustrated with these menus.

    For right now, use FW only to create your button graphic images, and use
    Dreamweaver to build your button functions. You can follow these tutorials
    to create wonderful menus that have none of the serious problems caused by
    the FW (and the DW) pop-up menus.

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "maple moose" <com> wrote in message
    the file I am talking about;

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Hi Murray:

    Geez, you make it sound so scary. I have tried the pop up menus in FW, but they also didn't work. They only worked in the tutorials!

    Okay, I will try your links, thanks so much!

    What about this missing file, though???
    This .js file was the extension of previous buttons I made through the tutorial(s) which said it was the file that DW needs to run the JavaScript actions of the button(s). It said that this file must be called in the "head" section of the code.
    In my tutorial's code it says this:
    "<script language="JavaScript1.2" src="mm_menu.js"></script>"
    NONE of my newly exported buttons import into DW with this code/file!
    Why?????
    ....sorry, getting frustrated.
    The file doesn't exist from the export from FW, even if I were to paste this syntax into my code.

    What do you think, should I re-install the software??? Start over/fresh?

    Thanx
    MM

    maple Guest

  5. #5

    maple:

    They work, but you have to be steadfast in your persistence and experienced
    with manually feeding something like the beast that they are! 8)

    http://great-web-sights.com/library4d.html

    I have demonstrated here the use of a DW/FW menu in a Library Item (this is
    not an easy process for people who are new to these menus and to DW in
    general. Note that I have externalized all of the pop-up js.

    (note that the link at the bottom is not going to pull up a valid page in
    this current incarnation).

    Unless you have deleted it, it's there. But it's one that YOU need to
    explicitly upload to the site.

    I think you should take a break. Knock back your favorite beverage.
    Expunge the idea of FW pop-ups from your brain. And then plunge into the
    learning experience that my previous links will initiate for you.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    but they also didn't work. They only worked in the tutorials!
    tutorial(s) which said it was the file that DW needs to run the JavaScript
    actions of the button(s). It said that this file must be called in the
    "head" section of the code.
    this syntax into my code.

    Murray Guest

  6. #6

    HI Murray:

    You don't sound to impressed with DW or FW mx.
    Well right now I join you on this.
    I thought when I bought this software that creating simple things like Rollover buttons, (at least simple for The great MX Studio package to handle), would actually work!
    Perhaps I'm the idiot in following my book etc and expecting to be able to handle buttons.

    I do want to stress that I do intend on putting horizontal pop-ups on my site, but right now - as I am so new - I just would be extatic if my simple buttons would work!

    My project is now way way way behind schedule and I am feeling quite defeating now. I will just resort to JavaScript w/ graphics and try to get the buttons to load into the right FRAME. OH and have a stiff drink!!

    I looked at your links, but unfortunetly I don't know DHTML (pretty scary huh?) and I am currently learning CSS, and with DW and FW adding to it, I am already overwhelmed. Like I said I am teaching myself. I WILL look at your info/llinks because they look interesting and very useful. I just can't afford the time right now to learn a new language or part of one.

    You sure responded fast to my previous post. Are you also in Europe?

    till next time
    MM

    maple Guest

  7. #7

    I love DMX2004 and FMX2004. They are rocks for me, and I have them open and
    usable 24/7.

    But I hate the pop-up menus. They are nothing but trouble - and the worst
    part is that the people that get caught are always the unsuspecting (and
    usually new users/developers). Those who understand how these (and all
    other all-javascript menu systems) work wouldn't touch them with their
    competitor's finger.

    Rollover buttons, (at least simple for The great MX Studio package to
    handle), would actually work!

    It does - beyond your wildest dreams. But you need to understand a) HTML,
    b) web principles, and c) how to use the right tool for the job.

    Good grief. You need therapy. And alot of help. Your job will be to
    facilitate the experts that hang out here in giving you this help.

    The start would be to post a URI to your page so that I and others can see
    what you are trying to do and why it's failing.

    I'm in the Philadelphia area.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    Rollover buttons, (at least simple for The great MX Studio package to
    handle), would actually work!
    handle buttons.

  8. #8

    "maple moose" com wrote:

    What book is that exactly? As Murray said, without seeing the actual
    page(s) you are working on, no one here will be able to help you much
    beyond shooting in the dark and giving very general advice.

    FWIW, I share Murray's opinion about DW and FW. Both are fantastic
    products powerful way beyond what a cursory first look might reveal but
    their built-in Popup Menu implementation is extremely poor as it is
    built on very shaky foundations and a very flawed approach. That doesn't
    mean the rest of both apps are the same, quite the opposite.

    Again, please provide a URL to a page that fails so that we may have a
    look and help with specifics. Without that there is not much anyone here
    can do for you.

    So did I when I started learning this craft about 8 years ago.
    Fortunately for you, the resources and tools at your disposal today are
    far better than what I had access to in early 1996. To implement the
    menu systems Murray gave you the links for, you do not need to learn
    DHTML although a grasp of CSS will help. I myself am far from a
    Javascript expert although I can wing it when I need to but I have a
    very solid grasp of HTML and CSS which are really the basic building
    blocks of this medium. If you want to succeed in this business you need
    to learn them and quick, along with the basic principles of how to
    efficiently design for the Web.

    In the tutorials Murray gave you the links for, the JavaScript/DHTML
    part of the work is handled by free Dreamweaver extensions provided by
    Project Seven. You won't need to hand code Javascript so it's really
    quite easy to handle. It won't take you long to get through them so you
    probably should before you work on this project of your any further. The
    time invested now will really pay off quickly and empower you to build
    much better menus that will work for more people with none of the hassle
    of the canned DW/FW ones.

    In the meantime, provide links to the troublesome pages if you'd like
    anyone here to help.

    Cheers!

    Stéphane Bergeron
    Stéphane Guest

  9. #9

    HI Stephanie and Murray:

    Sorry, I just meant that the fact that my buttons don't seem to work and I can't figure out why, isn't impressing me right now. I guess it isn't as simple as it would appear from the outside. Somehow I got the idea that this software package made it more user friendly to make buttons and such for web design along with all the other facinating things they do.

    I also read the post about how "Macromedia s." I guess one shouldn't believe everything one reads.

    I know by looking through the books (MX Studio's manual and VQG's Fireworks for Windows, by Sandee Cohen and doing tutorials) that FW and the others do amazing things and I can't wait until I can explore all of those things and get creative!
    Just really disappointing on the button/pop-up thing.

    OK, don't laugh, but here is my site address:
    http://www.kandiadesign.de/
    -- it's also in my profile (public).

    The buttons work to link and to change the cursor (active area works), but to change on mouseover and mouseout, nix.

    I will take time everyday for the next while to learn dhtml (your link Murray) and to try to quick-fix my buttons for now, and keep learning CSS, etc.

    Thanks for your help, both of you!!

    MM

    maple Guest

  10. #10

    The first step in your rehabilitation as a web developer would be to
    recognize the many problems with using frames -

    http://apptools.com/rants/framesevil.php

    I wouldn't use them at all!

    In addition, assuming you decided to continue using them, you should have a
    frameset Doctype, not a transitional one (and a broken one at that - DMX had
    a bug in the insertion of these) on the page -

    change this -

    to this -

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

    (to read more about doctypes, go to http://www.w3.org)

    Next, you need to understand some things about the FW pop-up menus.

    When you create one, and then export the HTML, there is a large chunk of
    javascript written into the head of that exported HTML that describes the
    details of the menus - it looks like this -

    function mmLoadMenus() {
    if (window.mm_menu_0205130010_0) return;
    window.mm_menu_0205130010_0_1 = new
    Menu("Menu1Sub2",121,18,"Trebuchet

    MS, Verdana,

    sans-serif",12,"#000000","#FF9933","#3A6D57","#6DB195", "left","middle",3,0,1
    000,-5,7,true,true,t

    rue,0,false,true);
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.addMenuItem("Menu1Sub2sub1" );
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.addMenuItem("Menu1Sub2sub2" );
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.hideOnMouseOut=true;
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.bgColor='#555555';
    mm_menu_0205130010_0_1.menuBord

    and it can go on for many kilobytes, depending on the complexity of your
    menu system. This defines the look and the function of each button on the
    page. But it only defines how they look and function - it doesn't actually
    write the menus to the page.

    That work is done by the file named "mm_menus.js" which is always linked to
    in the HTML written by FW when it exports your HTML.

    So - the embedded js defines the menu, and mm_menus.js provides the tools to
    BUILD the menu, and there is a third component - the call to a routine in
    mm_menus.js. This is done from the body of the page after the page has been
    completely fetched from the server. It is what is responsible for invoking
    the key routine in mm_menus.js (mmLoadMenus())which uses the data declared
    in the head of each page to write the HTML code to the page to build the
    menus <whew>.

    Looking at the code in the top frame of your site, I have no idea what you
    have done wrong - but the code is a complete mess.

    1. There is *no* menu definition js in the head of the page
    2. There is *no* link to mm_menus.js
    3. The call to mmLoadMenus() is in the <head> rather than the <body>

    So - I don't know how to tell you to fix this. The simplest way would be to
    recreate the menus and the top frame, but then you will still be using the
    FW pop-up menus, and I hate that.

    By the way, you do know that these menus will not cross the frame boundary,
    right? This means that even when you have them working, they will then
    slide beneath the bottom frame when the menus open.

    Sorry.

    If you want to do this, then you should abandon this plan and this layout
    and do it right from the start. That's my opinion, at least....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

  11. #11

    Last post (from Murray) on this topic included in the...

    New topic name :
    JavaS file missing, button issues_new

    maple Guest