Professional Web Applications Themes

Jaz and Zip disks no longer work as start disks - Mac Applications & Software

I can no longer get Jaz or Zip disks to be the start disks, even though I've been able to do this for years. I tried to start with two Jaz disks and one Zip disk that have system folders on them. They have System 8.6 on them and the computer has System 9.21 on it. I tried both restarting twice with the Jaz and Zip disks in the disk drives with their icons showing on the computer desktop (because two restarts are normally required to restart with one of these disks in their respective drives) but it didn't work. ...

  1. #1

    Default Jaz and Zip disks no longer work as start disks

    I can no longer get Jaz or Zip disks to be the start disks, even though
    I've been able to do this for years.

    I tried to start with two Jaz disks and one Zip disk that have system
    folders on them. They have System 8.6 on them and the computer has
    System 9.21 on it.

    I tried both restarting twice with the Jaz and Zip disks in the disk
    drives with their icons showing on the computer desktop (because two
    restarts are normally required to restart with one of these disks in
    their respective drives) but it didn't work.

    I also tried shutting down and then pressing the Power button on the
    computer, but again the computer was the start drive.

    I have a beige, desktop G3.
    Tony Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Jaz and Zip disks no longer work as start disks

    In article <com>,
    "Tony W." <com> wrote:

    I don't have this problem. However, my Zip disk has 9.2 on it. I can
    boot my G4 without problems.

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    "Michael Vilain " wrote:

    > I don't have this problem. However, my Zip disk has 9.2 on it. I can
    > boot my G4 without problems.[/ref]

    I installed O.S. 9.04 onto a Jaz disk, but that Jaz disk still won't act
    as the start disk.

    I copied O.S. 9.04 from that Jaz disk onto a rewritable c.d. using Toast
    so I could run Tech Tool and Norton Antivirus with the c.d. as the start
    disk, but when I restarted and held the "C" key down to restart from the
    c.d., a message said that there was a system error ("file system map
    inconsistent. Restart with extensions off." I restarted with extensions
    off, but then the computer was the start disk again. I can't install
    O.S. 9.04 directly onto the c.d. because Toast will only allow files and
    folders to be copied onto c.d.s; it won't allow installation programs to
    be used to install a system folder.

    I also tried updating my Iomega driver from the Iomega Web site three
    times but the new Iomega folder didn't showed up on my computer after
    the restarts.

    I also took the Iomega preferences file out of my preferences folder,
    but that didn't solve the problem either.

    I can no longer run Tech Tool or Norton Anti-virus (latest versions)
    because they're on the Jaz disk that won't act anymore as the start
    disk. Should I run the old, outdated versions of Tech Tool and Norton
    Antivirus from the original c.d.s instead?

    There used to be a keyboard shortcut for starting from Jaz or Zip disks,
    but I can't remember what it is.

    I'm getting desperate. Again I've spent most of the day trying to solve
    yet another frustrating Macintosh problem and there's no solution in sight.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  4. #4

    "Tony W." wrote:

    > > I don't have this problem. However, my Zip disk has 9.2 on it. I can
    > > boot my G4 without problems.[/ref]
    >
    > I installed O.S. 9.04 onto a Jaz disk, but that Jaz disk still won't act
    > as the start disk.
    >
    > I copied O.S. 9.04 from that Jaz disk onto a rewritable c.d. using Toast
    > so I could run Tech Tool and Norton Antivirus with the c.d. as the start
    > disk, but when I restarted and held the "C" key down to restart from the
    > c.d., a message said that there was a system error ("file system map
    > inconsistent. Restart with extensions off." I restarted with extensions
    > off, but then the computer was the start disk again. I can't install
    > O.S. 9.04 directly onto the c.d. because Toast will only allow files and
    > folders to be copied onto c.d.s; it won't allow installation programs to
    > be used to install a system folder.
    >
    > I also tried updating my Iomega driver from the Iomega Web site three
    > times but the new Iomega folder didn't showed up on my computer after
    > the restarts.
    >
    > I also took the Iomega preferences file out of my preferences folder,
    > but that didn't solve the problem either.
    >
    > I can no longer run Tech Tool or Norton Anti-virus (latest versions)
    > because they're on the Jaz disk that won't act anymore as the start
    > disk. Should I run the old, outdated versions of Tech Tool and Norton
    > Antivirus from the original c.d.s instead?
    >
    > There used to be a keyboard shortcut for starting from Jaz or Zip disks,
    > but I can't remember what it is.
    >
    > I'm getting desperate. Again I've spent most of the day trying to solve
    > yet another frustrating Macintosh problem and there's no solution in sight.
    >
    > Tony[/ref]

    Also, thinking that the Jaz and Zip disks aren't mounting possibly
    because of a problem that Tech Tool could fix, I tried running Tech Tool
    when the O.S. 9.04 c.d. was the start disk, but it didn't work because
    the Tech Tool preferences files aren't in the c.d.'s system folder and I
    can't put them in there because the disk is locked.

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  5. #5

    In article <com>,
    "Tony W." <com> wrote:

    I don't know if this will help your situation but, have you reformatted
    these disks in a non-SCSI drive? I think if you do that the proper SCSI
    boot drivers will not be installed on the disk.

    You might also try zapping the PRAM since that's where the settings for
    the start up disk are stored. Then try reselecting the Zip or Jazz disk
    as startup.

    Haven't done this in a while but I think if you hold down
    Command--Option-Delete while restarting it will force the internal
    drive to be bypassed and first available external drive will be used. I
    think that's done alphabetically.

    --
    Real Email-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Blue & White G3/400MHz MacOS 9.1, Starmax 3000/200MHz MacOS 8.6

  6. #6

    NeoLuddite wrote:

    > I don't know if this will help your situation but, have you reformatted
    > these disks in a non-SCSI drive?[/ref]

    No.

    I couldn't find the "' key that you recommended. (I'm surprised they
    would use such profanity on a keyboard. It makes me wonder what the "F"
    stands for on the "F" keys, and what the vertical arrow key represents!)

    But I used the Command, Option, P and R combination that I remembered
    for resetting the P RAM, and it worked! Yahoo! You're pretty up-to-date
    with your technology for a luddite, Neo!

    Tony
    Tony Guest

  7. #7

    Tony W. eschewed 9/5/03 7:55 PM:

    >> I don't know if this will help your situation but, have you reformatted
    >> these disks in a non-SCSI drive?[/ref]
    >
    > No.

    > I couldn't find the "' key that you recommended. (I'm surprised they
    > would use such profanity on a keyboard. It makes me wonder what the "F"
    > stands for on the "F" keys, and what the vertical arrow key represents!)
    >
    > But I used the Command, Option, P and R combination that I remembered
    > for resetting the P RAM, and it worked! Yahoo! You're pretty up-to-date
    > with your technology for a luddite, Neo!
    >
    > Tony[/ref]
    187,000 comedians on Usenet and we get you ehh??
    HA!!

    There's a much easier way to ZappthePram to add to your Guru-ness ; )
    You press a force restart..keys> Apple/ShiFt/POWER BUTTON
    and HOLD DOWN thru THREE BOOT CHIMES--then let gain the desktop.

    Cheers

    King Guest

  8. #8

    In article <com>,
    "Tony W." <com> wrote:

    That's funny, I'll have to use it again "accidentally". My spell checker
    doesn't check the individual words with a hyphenated word it just flags
    the whole thing as misspelled and I missed it.

    Some days I wish there was "" key on the keyboard. About sums up the
    week I've had.

  9. #9

    Tony, the "" key is right next to the "any" key.
    Dd

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 00:55:19 GMT, "Tony W." <com>
    wrote:

    >> I don't know if this will help your situation but, have you reformatted
    >> these disks in a non-SCSI drive?[/ref]
    >
    >No.

    >I couldn't find the "' key that you recommended. (I'm surprised they
    >would use such profanity on a keyboard. It makes me wonder what the "F"
    >stands for on the "F" keys, and what the vertical arrow key represents!)
    >
    >But I used the Command, Option, P and R combination that I remembered
    >for resetting the P RAM, and it worked! Yahoo! You're pretty up-to-date
    >with your technology for a luddite, Neo!
    >
    >Tony[/ref]

    David Guest